Poll

Boy or girl?

Boy
30 (47.6%)
Girl
33 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Print

Author Topic: Is Birdo a boy or girl?  (Read 58925 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:13 PM »
"He thinks he's a girl and would rather be called 'Birdetta'".

Sorry pal. Not to mention, the manual also says the game is real. Not a dream. Two strikes.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
But the game itself implies that the game is a dream (and it was apparently one of those fake-wake-up dreams where you have a dream and then think you wake up and then you wake up again but for real).

And I'd also like to reiterate, if I may, that I think this whole argument is moot because there are undeniably multiple Birdos. There are, in all likelihood, at least three in SMB2, and at least one sports game clearly shows a whole crowd of them. Yes, the manual says "he" rather than "they", but it treats all enemies as characters. Look at the entry for Ostro again (ignoring the switched name):

It calls Ostro a he instead of a they, even though there are multiple places in the game where you see two or more Ostros next to each other. Blame the translators and the ambiguous language and non-American culture of Japan.

The characteristics attributed to Birdo in the manual probably don't apply to the whole species, however, because if the species has meaningful concepts of male and female, there must be at least a few actual females and at least a few males willing to mate with the actual females, because the species has clearly propagated. They can apply perhaps only to the first Birdo seen in SMB2, or to all of them in SMB2, or maybe Mario, for some Freudian reason, always dreams about Birdos being transvestites.

It is unlikely that the playable Birdo that's been showing up in sports and kart titles lately is the transvestite Birdo from the SMB2 manual. Even if SMB2 was real, it took place in Sub-Con, a dream world separate from the Mushroom Kingdom, and people probably don't permanently move from one to the other (Incidentally, another pet peeve of mine is people complaining about SMB2 enemies showing up in the non-dream Mushroom World. In-universe, it makes perfect sense that Mario would dream about some things that actually exist in his world.).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:33 PM »
I came up with a fanfic backstory for Birdo saying that Wart made them as a pale imitation of Yoshies and the reason they all believe they're female is because of their ability to lay eggs. That was the best I could come up with. Sue me.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
* Chupperson Weird sues The Chef
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »
Yeah, Mario Strikes allows you to have multiple Birdos, and there are different colored ones. I just view them as ugly versions of Yoshis. But that still doesn't solve the problem of the Birdo debate since it's really a matter of who THE Birdo is the same way we all know THE Yoshi. I vote girl, because Nintendo said so, and they own Birdo.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
Yeah, Mario Strikes allows you to have multiple Birdos, and there are different colored ones. I just view them as ugly versions of Yoshis. But that still doesn't solve the problem of the Birdo debate since it's really a matter of who THE Birdo is the same way we all know THE Yoshi. I vote girl, because Nintendo said so, and they own Birdo.

Except Nintendo Co Ltd. in Japan said otherwise, and they own Birdo even more.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
That's true, but since I'm living in America, I don't care about what Nintendo of Japan says. Japan is a messed up culture to begin with. I don't want transvestites in my Mario games.

And har har at typos.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
Whether you want them or not, they're there. NOA is just telling you what to think while the real world goes on outside. And/or consider that NCL makes the games so you wouldn't be playing them at all otherwise.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2009, 12:41:21 AM »
If by "the real world" you mean a fictitious video game series with a loose to nonexistant storyline, then I guess that's true.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 01:40:23 AM »
Exactly.
That was a joke.

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 01:54:03 AM »
Japan is a messed up culture to begin with.

America's culture is far more messed up.

NOTE: I love living in America and wouldn't want to live elsewhere. Just wanted to clear that up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 01:59:49 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »
Ok, messed up was a bad way of putting it. I've got nothing against Japan. I should've said "Japan is a wacky, zany, crazy culture compared to others."
= = = = = = =

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 02:32:50 AM »
America is messed up in a boring way, at least for now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 07:02:49 AM »
Japan just has a weird fixation on sex and sexuality. I think it might have something to do with being a really really old country and still maintaining some bits and pieces of the culture they had some hundreds of years ago.

Print