Mario Kart 7
1 (3.4%)
Mario Kart 8
1 (3.4%)
Mix (Post which ones)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Mario Kart  (Read 26605 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:20 AM »
Mario Kart 8 has been added to poll. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »
But we can't change votes, and since most people have already voted...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
You can now change votes. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
Definitely 64 for me. I've played every version except for DS and 3DS (aka 7).

They're all great games. I still remember playing the SNES version for the first time (this was a few years after it had come out, but before 64). I had played some other racing games in the past, but this was unlike anything else I had encountered. Shells as projectiles? Bananas to slip on? Quirky Mario characters? Yes, yes, yes!!!

The 64 version only built on that. I loved having the wacky voices (no other game has as great of dialogue--64 is simple but effective, and you've got to love Wario going "wahhhh" all the time), the new items (still remember when the game came out; a buddy of mine got it first and he wouldn't stop talking about the spiny shell being added), the graphics (yeah, we all know the racers are 2D sprites, but it was pretty darn good for 1997), and the music. Not sure if they had a CD soundtrack for this game, but I'd definitely buy it even today.

Super Circuit was great too, and I admittedly bought a Game Boy Advance solely for this game. (I did get a few more games later, but being able to take Mario Kart in your pocket pre-smartphone was a good thing).

Double Dash and Wii were OK, but I felt they lost a little bit of the magic of 64. Maybe it was because I was getting older, but I just felt they could have benefited from better soundtracks, fewer characters (8 worked well, 12 is plenty enough, anything over is just overkill), and addition of lost features (like the inability to jump on Double Dash). You can read my opinions on the Wii U (aka 8) in the other thread.

As I said, they're all great games, and I've pre-ordered any version which came out if I had the system to play it on at the time. To me, one of the biggest advantages of the game is the broad age appeal. I'm 27, almost 28, and enjoy Mario Kart as much as I did when I was 10. I know guys in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and even 60s who play the games, and we're not talking parents who are playing it to play against their kids. Not too many games have that great of appeal.

Print