Print

Author Topic: New Mario Movie (Not Joke)  (Read 17234 times)

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »
The worst thing about Super Mario Sunshine was Bowser. I was fine with pretty much everything else.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 02:12:59 PM »
The worst thing about Super Mario Sunshine was the Yoshies and their lack of being able to swim. They live on/near a freaking island, yet can't swim. What in the heck kind of sense did that make!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
I always assumed the Piantas genetically engineered them so that they could stay domesticated on the islands without running away.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
I think the cutscenes in Sunshine would've been eons more tolerable if they had just stuck with text boxes or subtitles instead of voice acting.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Were there references to her parents in the Japanese version that were localized out of the other releases, or was it removed entirely?

First, take a look at her mother. Very similar to Peach.

As for localization quirks, take a look at the last page, "Family."
That night, when the girl lay down to sleep, a soft light enveloped her and reminded her of the blue planet she once called home.
"But it would be nice to return home once every one hundred years to nap in my favorite sleeping nook."

My own translation of the Japanese line (and, as Sapphira notes, the French line) goes like this:
"Once every hundred years, though, I'd like to go back to that blue planet, to touch Papa's proud mustache and take a nap on his warm lap."

Make what you will of it. Sapphira seems to recall that the person who wrote the storybook intended to imply a relationship between Peach and Rosalina, but Miyamoto "nixed the idea." There are other translational differences, like the Star Cake originally being Star Bread, but they are of little importance.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »
I believe I confirmed that for her the last time I spoke to her about this. They said they intended to make her "related" to Peach, but never really said how.

Methinks Miyamoto didn't want tragedy to be a permanent part of Peach's character, and I can't say I blame him.

Furthermore, even if you include that one translation difference, Rosalina's story is still full of holes. It certainly doesn't explain where she got all these mysterious deity-like powers, including her ability to seemingly live for over hundreds of years.

Print