Print

Author Topic: News you MUST read...  (Read 1408 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: May 09, 2002, 09:23:35 AM »
I was searching around the Internet earlier and I came across this interesting article (at Yahoo.com) concerning the future of Nintendo...

Monday April 29, 07:02 PM

MICROSOFT PLANNED TO BUY OUT NINTENDO

By Nick Farrell
Microsoft was planning to buy Nintendo for more than $25bn (billion), according to a new book.

In Opening the Xbox: Inside Microsoft's Plan to Unleash an Entertainment Revolution, Dean Takahashi claims that Nintendo's US president Minoru Arakawa admitted to him that a deal with Microsoft was being talked about in 1999.

Arakawa told Takahashi: "We weren't sure what to think when Microsoft made the offer. In fact I was surprised - we didn't need the money. I thought it was a joke."

But Nintendo realised that such a proposition could not be ignored and some executives were interested enough to open meetings with the Redmond giant.

"The meetings went on through the winter of 1999," the book reveals. The parties are said to have met six or seven times.

Apparently, the Redmond Giant wanted Nintendo to drop its GameCube console and support its Xbox. But the scheme was scuppered by Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo's chief executive, and by January 2000 talks stopped.

Arakawa said: "It became clear that our objectives and their objectives were not the same."

If Microsoft's plan had succeeded there would have been no GameCube, the book said.
---------------------------------------------
I am SO glad this never happened. If it did, then I guess we'd all have to buy X-Boxes now, just to play Nintendo games...

Do any of you think it COULD happen?

Nintendo bought the entire company known as Retro Studios (who helped Nintendo make Metroid Prime)...
----
A new StarFox game is being developed by Namco...

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 5/9/2002 8:27:56 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 01:36:52 PM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHK!
oh, man, that was tooooooooooooo close!

_0-/<______________
who wants to buy a skunkle?
_0-/<):________________
Y8FooD...well, you did

Print