Print

Author Topic: "Mature" Mario?  (Read 9403 times)

« on: November 17, 2000, 11:12:06 PM »
I'm just wondering, what do you think of this "mature" Mario business that Mr. Miyamoto has vaguely hinted at?

Me?  I swear to God, if Nintendo goes so far as to take out that goofy Italian accent, I'll have a nervous breakdown.  I can't imagine the Brothers Mario talking without it.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2000, 09:58:44 AM »
You see.. Mario and Luigi where born in New York. Thats a fake accent that there using. If they didnt use the accent It wouldnt make a difference that much.(Even i would go mad.) so you see thats accent is fake not real.(But they do it good.)
Break me...I dare you.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2000, 11:42:22 AM »
I don't buy into that Brooklyn/New York crap.  Why?  Watch the ending to Yoshi's Island.  It shows baby Mario and Luigi getting dropped off in a valley full of Mushroom houses.  Their parents live in one of these mushroom houses.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, there aren't a heck of a lot of giant mushrooms with people living in them in New York. . .
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2000, 12:23:28 PM »
Those babies weren't (our) Mario and Luigi.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2000, 01:34:10 PM »
What?!
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2000, 12:41:20 PM »
Okay, now you're getting into that multiple main character garbage that has so many Zelda fans confused.  (Some sources estimate that there are actually 3 different pairs of Links and Zeldas)  I think it would help out a whole lot if we all just admit that the game designers periodically assume creative license when it comes to the 'canon' Mario plot.

I personally see nothing wrong with creative license, as long as they don't pull crap like that too often... ; )
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2000, 12:55:59 PM »
Oh yeah, about the Mature Mario thing...

We have to remember a few things about what Miyamoto could mean by 'mature'-

1) 'Mature' could have a different meaning in the Japanese culture.  For instance, rather than violent-mature, maybe more intellect-mature.  The danger is to assume that Nintendo will jump onto the M-rated bandwagon, which isn't necessarily true.

2) Japanese and English are two vastly different languages, meaning that it is incredibly difficult to effectively translate between the two and retain the original meaning. What trickled down to us as 'mature' could have had an entirely different meaning before passing through the translation digestive system.  (This could also explain those goofy Japanese game titles...)

In other words, I'm just as confused as you are.  I guess we'll find out about this mature thing when SM decides to make a new game...

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2000, 02:06:13 PM »
By "our Mario and Luigi" I mean the Mario brothers who starred in the "Mario Bros. " and "Super Mario Bros." games, "Qix," etc.

This topic has already been discussed under "About Miyamoto's 'mature' Mario."  What's the point of creating this new section rather than just responding to those posts?!?

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Edited by - Mega 2 on 11/25/2000 9:00:17 AM
Mega 2

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2000, 05:11:02 PM »
It means:
no more:
happy cloudes
goofy creatures
happy hills
more:
mean/ugly stuff
none happy faced stuff

Its what I think

(insert another dumb Boshi joke here)
the following is a test:

Edited by - Boshi on 11/19/00 3:12:33 PM
 (insert another dumb Boshi joke here)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2000, 06:15:10 PM »
Yeah, I think Boshi sums it up pretty well. ; )

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2000, 05:47:35 PM »
"Mario" can't be dead serious like "Metroid" or "Diablo," there needs to be some cartoonishness, about the level of "Super Mario Bros. 3," "Super Mario World," or "Super Mario 64."  Then there are non-adventure games like the "Mariokart" series that can be way out there.  There just needs to be a line drawn somewhere between the games I mentioned and stuff like "Yoshi's Island" and "Yoshi's Story."  The most serious game was probably "Super Mario Bros.," and that's what Nintendo should probably aim for (with the cool new graphics of modern games).

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2000, 07:38:39 PM »
Hyper Magazine had a joke about this, it had Shiguru Miyamoto & John Carmack starting
up they're own company, because, and I quote:

"A 'mature' mario wouldn't jump on his enemie's heads,
he'd smite them into a fine red mist d---it!"

"Was he lying?"
"Does Fort Koopa need sweeping?"

rick_trimble@hotmail.com
"Was he lying?"

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2000, 05:41:10 AM »
From what I've seen of Paper Mario, they've dropped his "V" sign for a thumbs-up. I doubt there'll be as much cartoonish-ness... but I felt as if SMW2 was one of the more serious ones. It was a massive game with marvellous graphics that rarely ventured into "cutesy" - there were skeletonised enemies, giant monstrous bosses and it was generally cool.

Yoshi's Story was not...

So I reckon it'll be more of a turn back to the "old-style" but still cartoony. I think Paper Mario will be our first taste of that.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2000, 10:26:14 AM »
"Paper Mario" may have improvements, but it's still sort of cartoonish (more so than the first "Super Mario R.P.G.").  I think it's just a step in an evolution toward seriousness.  I just hope it's an end to the anarchy.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2000, 12:56:51 PM »
For the mature mario, i hope they don't start rating the games M (17+).

oh and about that "our" mario and luigi thing, it would make sense if:
mario and luigi were born in mushroom kingdom. then their parents thought that with bowser around, it wasn't safe. therefore, they shipped the bros. off to brooklyn, and there they grew up until adults, found their true heritige thru that pipe mishap in Mario Bros. so they went back and have been there ever since.

~Formally daFunkster

Edited by - TheGnarlyOne on 12/23/2000 11:00:47 AM
~Formally daFunkster

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2000, 03:41:23 PM »
You are extremely confusing.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2000, 11:23:35 PM »
In the SMB3 cartoons (one of my favourite cartoons ever) the story was this:
Mario and Luigi were Italian plumbers living in Brooklin. Going trough a pipe they arrived to the Mushroom Kingdom (aparently for the first time, but I´m not sure). So if they are actually Mushroom People, they were adopted by Italians.
That´s all. I never heard that about "mature Mario", so I don´t know what is it about.
I´d like to add more details in what I said, but English is a foreign language to me.
With enough soap, you can blow nearly everything up.

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2000, 10:30:40 AM »
The Mario brothers were NOT Mushroom People.  They were born and raised in Brooklyn, and stumbled into Mushroom World by accident.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2000, 01:56:20 PM »
Not in the story for Smb 1.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2000, 11:27:23 PM »
Yes it is!

Mega 2
Mega 2

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2000, 07:45:05 PM »
In an interview with Shiguru Miyamoto, he said
that Luigi's Mansion was an example of the
"Mature" mario. Nothing like Conker's Bad Hair Day
or anything.

"Was he lying?"

rick_trimble@hotmail.com
"Was he lying?"

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2000, 08:12:05 PM »
See, Hinopio?  I didn't make it up.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2000, 09:02:13 AM »
I think I posted a topic like this a while back. It has been decided there that the new "Mature" Mario will have more of a mature enviroment. The character will just about remain the same, in terms of looks, but their personalities may change. For Example: Mario may be walking in the land of Bowser. He can see volcanos shootong lava 20 ft in the air. Mario looks at these volcanos, thinking that getting to Bowser's Castle will be harder than he anticipated.

There. Pretty Simple, to say the least.

Ironfoot (a.k.a. Zero)
Moderator at Nintentrix.com

Webmaster of Wario Castle (Coming soon)
Did you meet my Siberian Monkey?

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2000, 12:08:43 PM »
Maybe's about live and death. In smb1, it looks like goombas die when you stomp on them. But in Yoshi's Island, when you stomp on a Shy Guy, he just goes off the screen. See what I mean? It seems like death is not suposted to exist in the Mario Universe. Mario environment IS childy (does that word exist?), and personally I think that's right.

p.s.: MARIO AND LUIGI ARE ITALIAN. If they were brooklinish (again, does that word exist?), they wouldn't have that names! BUT apparently they were BORN in the Mushroom Kingdom. Who cares? The important thing is where did they grow up.
p.s. 2: How can we know this things about M&L's life? I'm not sure if that appears in any game or manual, and I'm not sure either if we should believe to the cartoons/movies (especially the movie ;-) ).
Or is there any official comic or somethin'?
p.s. 3: What exactly is 'Nintendo Power' and all that stuff?
p.s. 2:

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2000, 12:54:00 PM »
There is nothing in any of the games or manuals or cartoons or comics to suggest that the Mario brothers were born or raised or had any contact with the Mushroom Kingdom before the events depicted in the original "Super Mario Bros." game and manual.  That's the fact.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Edited by - Mega 2 on 12/29/2000 10:55:15 AM
Mega 2

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2000, 03:41:58 PM »
Apparently, at the ending of the great Yoshi's Island, the stork drops them on a mushroom house. Do you know about ANY place on the Earth plant in wich you can find a mushroom house? If you do, maybe you are meaning Mario and luigi were born there :) .

What I mean is: in wich manual or game can we see M&L living in Brooklin? I think none.
BUT if they are called Mario and Luigi, there's a HUGE posibility they are Italians. And in fact they are.
YES! That's it, baby! No, don't clap me that louder!

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2000, 05:06:19 PM »
Dude, people've said this before: they're not our Mario and Luigi!  "Yoshi's Island" adds nothing to the Mario brothers' backstory.  And the Brooklyn connection is from the onscreen text of the "Mario Bros." arcade game and the game manual that comes with the original "Super Mario Bros." cartridge, and has been elaborated on in "Mario is Missing" and the "Super Mario Bros. 3" cartoon show.  It's not something that's open for debate.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2000, 07:57:06 PM »
Who's Mario and Luigi is it then?

I interpreted the backstory like this:

Mario Bros. go through events in Yoshi's Island (that's why Bowser wants to kill them).  Mario parents send them to Brooklyn (whatever) so they don't get killed by Bowser.  Later they go into the infamous pipes, leading to the Mushroom World.  The rest, is history.

Mega 2, don't give me that "our" Mario bull****, I've had enough of it.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2000, 09:06:04 PM »
NO! In smb3 cartoons, they LIVED in Brooklyn, but they were now living in the MK, they even had a house there.

Mega, answer me this: if they were born/raised in Brooklin, why are they called Mario and Luigi? Why do they like pasta? How, then, could Luigi bring Mario back of that 'robot' state (in wich the scientist koopaling put him) using a plate of SPAGHETTI WITH MEAT?? UH!? I still remember Koopa's (I mean, Bowser's) son running away of his father with that plate on his head.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2000, 09:11:57 PM »
Oh I'm so sorry! In my another posting (not the last; the other) I said 'lived' instead of 'borned'. Sorry if you people couldn't understand me. :)!

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2000, 02:02:01 PM »
Billy-MARIO'S Mario and Luigi.

Sanctus-Okay, even supposing they were born in Italy, that's not the same as the Mushroom Kingdom.  They came there as adults.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2000, 02:10:31 PM »
Billy-MARIO'S Mario and Luigi.

Sanctus-Okay, even supposing they were born in Italy, that's not the same as the Mushroom Kingdom.  They came there as adults.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2000, 09:06:02 PM »
Maybe the Mario Brothers grew up with an Italian family in Brooklyn. During World War II, Thousands of Italian familys moved from Italy to Brooklyn.

Ironfoot (a.k.a. Zero)
Moderator at Nintentrix.com

Webmaster of Wario Castle (Coming soon)

Edited by - Ironfoot on 12/31/2000 7:07:42 PM
Did you meet my Siberian Monkey?

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2001, 08:45:41 AM »
Maybe the mature mario will be a gun slinger painting the screen red with goomba blood!

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2001, 02:19:50 PM »
Forget the Brooklyn crap.  Here's how it goes:
Mario's parents are Italian.  They moved in to the Mushroom Kingdom and had Mario and Luigi.  The brothers must have spent too much time with their parents, explaining their Italian accent instead of a normal one.
Hope this will lead you out of confusion, capische?

Only someone will remain as the true Nintendo mascot.  That someone is Mario.  Go, Mario, Go!
Agustín, The Sage Of Fungus.

''Nuff Said.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2001, 03:52:28 PM »
Here's how I interpret the Mario back story, even although it has NOTHING to do this topic.

Yoshi's adventures were on Yoshi's Island. As we know from this, Bowser's first arch-nemesis or whatever was Yoshi, not Mario (according to ''chronologic'' order). We also know that the map the stork was presumably using to find Mario's family was a map that Yoshi couldn't figure out.

This either means Yoshi can't read maps, or it isn't a map of Yoshi's Island. Doesn't quite explain why the level select screen is a map, though. If it was a map of Yoshi's Island, then the mushroom house might be somewhere on the island (unlikely).

The mushroom house, since we can't identify where it is, is not in the Mushroom Kingdom or Brooklyn. Chances are it's in the Mushroom Kingdom since it's a mushroom house, so this doesn't explain how they got to Brooklyn.

Since Nintendo obviously didn't put together some loose ends when making games (how were they to try to fit SMB with Yoshi's Island a few years later?), they have created a paradox like with baby mario and Mario existing at the same time. This is why no sense can be made of it.

So anyway, they somehow came to Brooklyn. Let's just assume the mushroom house is in Brooklyn (hey, they're Marios, anything can happen). From the cartoons, and the SMB manual, they just so happened to stumble into the Mushroom Kingdom. That pretty much sums up everything, except for how Yoshi and Mario reunite a few years later with Yoshi not remembering a thing about them. Don't give me any of this "There's two Yoshies" stuff, because Nintendo leads us to believe this other story they had.

So in the end, Nintendo created a paradox, so we'll never come to a conclusion. And they just make games, not stories. The whole turtle (yes, Bowser is a turtle, because Koopa Troopas were classified in SMB as the Turtle Tribe, and Bowser is King of the Koopas). capturing princess deal is too overused of a story. And finally, Yoshi is a dinosaur, again according to Nintendo.

That should settle everything. We usually think that what Nintendo says is always correct. So we can't fill in any of these story gaps without completely ignoring Nintendo fact. The cartoons did not fit in with the rest of the game (since when does Madzilla pop up in SMB3?), the prequels and such have loose ends, and that's it.

Now I'd like to hear someone that disagrees with all this, which is probably most of the people that reply to this post.

To be a Koopa, you must become a Koopa.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2001, 07:20:54 PM »
Whoa!  We're still talking about the Mario Bros. backstory, huh?  Well. . .

It looks like Luigi's Mansion is the begining of the "mature" Mario change of pace Miyamoto-san was hinting at.  It just has to be, let's add up what we've seen so far:

-Glowy-eyed spooky Slimer-esque ghosts.
-Dark, twisted, and gnarled environments.
-No smiley clouds or shrubbery to be seen.

You know what though?  As long as Nintendo keeps the horrendously offensive, stereotypical, high-pitched Italian accents I've come to know and love, I really like the slightly spookier style of Luigi's upcoming Ghostbusting adventure.

I love-a da broken English-a! :D

BTW- Ghostbusters is one of the best, funniest movies ever.  If you haven't seen it, rent it so you can find all the similarities between Luigi's Mansion and Ghostbusters. :D

-----------------------

-=bï||¥ ©hî||ÿ=-
Haters gonna hate

Print