Print

Author Topic: Weird stuff about thwomps  (Read 3328 times)

« on: January 01, 2006, 08:04:30 PM »
Are there different species?  First, thwomps were introduced in SMB3.  But in SM64 there were a bunch of new variations...you know, like the "whomps", those weird smiling gray blocks in the pyramid, the big rolling cylinder thwomp, and the happy red-cheeked platforms on the fortress level.  Are some of those different species of thwomp or what?

Also, have you noticed the thwomps on Bowser's Castle in MK64?  There's a GREEN one behind a cage.  Has that type been in other Mario games before?

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »
Mariology, anyone?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 09:52:41 PM »
My explanation is that for the 64, it would have been harder to make the original thwomps 3D with the spikes. The "green" one is probably green due to a glow. The ones in the pyramid are mummified thwomps. Whomps are somehow related. The red-cheeked ones... The ones that pop out of the wall, you mean? Those are strange defenses with faces. The faces were removed in SM64DS for some reason, and on the DS games, the original thwomp was used.

However, there's one thing I've thought about but never got around to posting: both the blue cube thwomp and the gray spiky one are in SSBM. Kirby's transformation into a thwomp with stone, and the trophy.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:57:23 PM »
The spiked one was in MKDS, as well.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:03:17 AM »
Hm, perhaps they are different species, related somwhow (shared a common ancestor maybe).
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:06:22 AM »
Don't forget Thwimps!

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »
I like Thwimps better than Thwomps, personally. They're more energetic.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 08:32:46 AM »
Yeah, I forgot about thwimps...

Print