Print

Author Topic: Super Mario in 14kb JavaScript  (Read 6779 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

An interesting programming experiment sought to see whether a game could be stored in a single JavaScript file.  The author chose to implement Super Mario Bros. for the project.  No Flash or Java was used.  While the game isn't coded as completely as the real game (e.g. one level, no power-ups, poor physics, bad music), it is neat to see what can be accomplished in browsers with a small amount of code.  Look at it as a proof of concept of the internet to come.  The author also talks about a few tricks he used, with sprite storage analogous to the way sprites were stored on the NES.  As the game makes use of recent additions to JavaScript/HTML, try upgrading your browser if it doesn't work properly.

Link: nihilogic
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:15:02 PM by MEGAߥTE »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
Look at it as a proof of concept of the internet to come.
You mean the one that's going to revolutionize the face of and/or completely blow up the Earth?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
Wait, is that screenshot from the game?  I couldn't get to 1-2 when I played.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:29:29 PM »
No that's been grabbed from TMK's smb archive.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »
Nope, that's definitely a screenshot from the game. Note the enormous coin, five digit score, and 0-0 level. That's the beginning of 1-1, not 1-2!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:38 PM »
It was re-replaced.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »
That took up about five minutes of my time.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:32:15 AM »
Megabyte confuses me and then uses my confusion to confuse Suffix.  The cycle of confusion continues.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »
^ *Plays "The Circle of Life"*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 07:45:21 PM »
Megabyte confuses me and then uses my confusion to confuse Suffix.  The cycle of confusion continues.

But then why am I confused of you being confused of him being confused with that confusion of confusion?
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
Ok, MB originally used a picture from the JavaScript story, but it wasn't in a proper format to work, so in a rush before work i picked an smb stock photo just to have something there, knowing he or I would change it later.

See, this is why it's best to comment on the story, not the stupid mistakes I make. Then again, we probably wouldn't have any replies..... :-P
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

Print