Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros DX  (Read 8135 times)

« on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »
So, I was playing the Challenge Mode, and wondering: if you've found all the red coins in a level on one playthrough (to get the Red Coin.. Badge? at the end of that level), would it still be there if you went back and played that level again to find something else (Yoshi Egg or High Score Badge)?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
Yeah.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:58:02 PM »
That's good news. That means I can go and explore the levels, looking for the red coins, and then come back later to perfect them.

Thanks.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »
I think I want to get that game someday...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
All it really has going for it is the You Vs. Boo game and the challenge mode. Otherwise it's just SMB and SMB2J with huge chunks missing from the screen.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
I recall beating most challenges when I was a kid.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
I recall having to start from scratch every time I turned the game on because the save function on my cartridge is bad. 
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »
I have SMBDX. (Somewhere...) When I was younger, I absoulutely hated Boo Vs. You.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »
I own the game now and I think it has weird glitches in all the text that you can edit. I might have erased the game because of that.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
Edit? You can edit text in game? Or did you just download a ROM of it?

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »
You know, the various things in the photo album and after you rescue the toads and princess. In fact, not only can you edit the text but you can make music as well.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
You mean Photo Album and Melody mode? How are they glitches?

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
I got a bunch of accented random letters that forced me to clear the text, not restoring it to default.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 05:52:57 AM »
Never knew that. Time to go dig up SMBDX (and hope that it works).

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
What/where is Melody mode? I don't recall ever unlocking something like that.

Edit: Scratch that. Melody mode is unlocked when you rescue the Retainer in the sixth world. Now, does anybody know how to make this mode work? I can't seem to compose anything outside of the preset song, and even then, it won't play the preset song anymore.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:18:45 PM by Toad »

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
Never spent the time to figure it out.

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
SMBDX is not the best game ever. They made text composing real (and fail), so I'm suprised it doesn't play right.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »
I figured it out! Highlight the Princess on that one screen (you know, where her and the Retainers are all around that table) and pick the picture that you want to show when you start the game up again.

Tell the game that you want to create a new message. When the text editor comes up, you can either highlight the bottom left corner (where it says ABC) or press Select to change over to the numbers and symbols.

The three musical notes at the bottom left corner are the temp of your song: slow, medium, and fast. The rest is fairly easy, it's just like composing the Town Tune in Animal Crossing.

Edit: I've found out some more.. The little arrows pointing up and down (just to the right of the musical notes) raise or lower your notes an octave. To use them, place a note then make sure the cursor is one space ahead (ie: you have an E placed, and the cursor is here so it looks like this: EI)

Now highlight the arrow of your choice to raise or lower that note an octave. This also works with the # signs to the right of the arrows.. #'s with arrows make your note sharp AND raise/lower the note an octave.

Farily simple and a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 11:21:24 AM by Toad »

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
Theres a Super Mario Bros. DX?  I've only heard of Sonic Adventure DX.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
And you call yourself a fan of Mario? For shame.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print