Print

Author Topic: Dead Game  (Read 10076 times)

« on: January 07, 2004, 02:30:32 AM »
So I've been wanting to replay Super Mario 64 lately, but it's dead.  Completely.  When I put the cartridge in and turn the system on, the screen doesn't do anything--doesn't come up plain black, or snow, or scrambled.  It just keeps showing the "video" prompt.  I thought something was wrong with the system at first but all my other games work just fine.  I've been keeping them clean and cool and dry and above all all in the same place, but only this one game is acting up.

Then I noticed something else:  the cartridge is a lot lighter than my other N64 games are.  Has something happened to it inside, or fallen out, and I didn't notice?  Just looking inside it looks the same, but I can't see in very far.  Or are all SM64 cartridges significantly lighter than the other N64 games I happen to own, like Starfox?
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 02:56:55 PM »
Hmm... my Super Mario 64 cartidge appears to be a bit lighter than other cartridges too. Strange, I can't think of any reasons why your game might be like that. However, some N64 games just tend to corrupt themselves after a certain amount of time. If you wanna check inside, you'll have to find a special socket to unscrew those bolts on the back.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 04:12:02 PM »
The lightness is natural. You want to see a dense game? Try hefting Paper Mario!

my pathetic attempts at humor are fleeting

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »
Super Mario 64 = 64 Megabits
Paper Mario = 320 Megabits

(SM64 is in the smallest bitsize class of N64 carts.)

They wouldn’t pretty so bad, ain’t they?
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 09:01:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I figured the lightness was natural, but it was also the only game not working, so I wanted to make sure.  I suppose the game's just reached the end of its lifespan.  *sniffle*
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 10:20:17 PM »
Be sure to try cleaning it before you get rid of it.... if you haven't.

That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 09:09:33 AM »
Don't get rid of it! Save it... think of all the good times you had with that specific SM64.

Yes, I'm clinically insane, incase you were wondering.

Mario`s adventure is over for now, but,

Mario`s dream lives forever...

Dream on, Mario... dream on.

Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 04:06:50 PM »
Sell it on ebay. Just don't say it's corrupted.

Join my forum today!

Gaming Palace

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 04:11:14 PM »
No, that's evil.

my pathetic attempts at humor are fleeting

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 12:29:11 PM »
And kinda stupid. I wouldn't want someone holding a grudge on me... XP And I think the SSB cartridge is slightly heavier than Paper Mario's. Big frecking game, good times...

------------------------------
"*cough!*... I think I peed..."-Me with the Stomach Virus
------------------------------
"Smash anyone and anything that gets in your way!"-Falco, Star Fox: Assault

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 07:33:48 PM »
... I forgot what I was gonna' say...

Oh yeah. I once got a copy of SM64 (I've had like, 5 different copies) for $13, with a perfect cartridge, hardly used, the only thing was a fruit punch stain on the back of the instruction booklet. And that was just $13. How much would you get on eBay for it?

Mario`s adventure is over for now, but,

Mario`s dream lives forever...

Dream on, Mario... dream on.

Kickin' it since 2000.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 12:38:22 AM »
...Man. My Mega Man III Game Boy cart seems to have fizzled out today. That was a good game. Darn...

That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 07:41:47 PM »
Yeah... makes me remember back when my N64 Mario Tennis became corrupted... I had done so well.

After beating the star cup with every character, I was at the top of the world...
But then I found out there were more cups! I immediately began on the new ones and after completing all those with every character, I had a grand old time. One day, I go to play it with my nephew... "Due to damage or corruption, all saved data has been lost."  Sad, I was. So, I figure, "Let's just start all over." I play it for about and hour and beat Star Cup with a bunch of people, go take a break, and come back. Turn the system on, same message. Tried it one more time... Same thing. A sad end, for such a miraculous game. Now I cannot wait for Mario Tennis GCN.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 04:15:04 PM »
Heh, you probably didn't notice that a few rats that were extremly tiny went in, ate the stuff inside, and ran away...

Or maybe it just got dusty...?

If you reading this, it means you suck.
Hello.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 06:06:33 PM »
Tetris Attack may be the lightest game I've ever played, don't know why though... And I remember when I spilled Mountain Dew on my Tetris Attack cartridge, put it in, and got this message about how copying video games is illegal. And I reset it and it worked fine. Odd...

What that had to do with the original topic, I don't know.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Print