Print

Author Topic: Detect quality loss in your Mp3s  (Read 3958 times)

« on: July 23, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
http://www.neillcorlett.com/informer/ - This is a very handy tool.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »
Haha, I just linked Deezer to that yesterday even though it doesn't look too much more special than anything else.  Maybe he'll finally upgrade his foobar2000 though I hope you're reading this Deezer! >:(

EDIT: side note: very misleading subject line as the idea is to detect whether your lossless files have quality loss due to being sourced from MP3s (or other lossy codecs), not to detect whether the MP3s themselves have the quality loss (all of them do).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:43:35 PM by Eclipsed Moon »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »
For ages I've wondered whether or not my illegally obtained MP3s have lost any quality from the original live recordings.

Now I know.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
MP3s have lost any quality
By definition.

I'm wondering how the software calculates sampling rate because it seems to be half of what I'd expect.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 03:13:33 AM »
Checking it out now to see if I could figure out what Mß was talking about (I couldn't) I see that it does work differently from a simple spectrogram which I thought it was at first, but some stuff I have it seems pretty difficult to tell, not to mention that while it's scrolling (which is always, so long as you aren't holding down the mouse button on the window, it goes pretty fast and gives me a headache.

Rounding error (429 KB)
Tonality (400 KB)
Amplitude (dB) (389 KB)

Except for the cutoff at 19 KHz in the last image (maybe I'm seeing it a little in the first image as well?), I would not have guessed that this was an MP3.  The spectrogram I use otherwise allows me to see what I'm looking for easily...and I don't get a headache from it, either.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:52:14 AM »
This is cool.  But what I've really always wanted is a way to detect the quality levels of JPG images.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »
I'm working on some software so that you can hear how bad your JPEGs look.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
No need to be sarcastic. I can hear the quality loss in mp3s.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 02:34:32 PM »
So can a lot of people. I don't see what you're getting at here.
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:57 AM »
I don't see it, either, but the idea's kinda funny... Anyway, the reason JPEG quality detection would be nice is for photo editing:  When you open a JPEG file to edit, you have to re-select the quality level in order to save.  If the level's too high, the file size becomes unnecessarily large.  In other words, it's the same concept this topic deals with, only with image files.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
Software exists that can allow you to edit JPEG with no loss to unchanged blocks.

Print