Print

Author Topic: Where Have All the Snakers Gone?  (Read 12100 times)

« on: August 27, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
Disconnectors and snakers made the Mario Kart DS online mode a very frustrating experience to me.  Needless to say, I'm really enjoying Mario Kart Wii's Wi-Fi modes, but a few days ago I logged online with Mario Kart DS out of curiosity.  I was surprised to see that I raced with no snakers.  I connected again day after day, and so far I've never seen any snakers!  What's happened to them?  Has anybody seen them?  Have they all moved on to Mario Kart Wii?  Not that I'm complaining with the lack of snaking, but I'm just surprised with these results.  Has anybody noticed this?

Gee, maybe Mario Kart DS online is playable again...

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
They finally realised that it sucked being a snaker, and also realised that they were only playing against other snakers. Apparently they all sold their games when they came to this epiphany.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
Yeah, winning a game because you're good at it instead of depending on items sucks. When snakers learned that they all went to play Mario Party, the most fun game ever.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
Yeah, winning a game because you're good at it instead of depending on items sucks. When snakers learned that they all went to play Mario Party, the most fun game ever.

I'm not saying that it didn't take skill to become good at snaking, but it's not fun to play against other snakers when you're not a snaker.. The fact that they were usually two laps ahead of you didn't help when you got the good items (Lightning, Triple Shell, ect..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
I think the REAL problem is is that Snaking is a TACTIC and a STRATEGY, not CHEATING, like most people seem to think.

And NO, I am not a snaker.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
Probably the only play with other snakers in clans or something, where the real challenge is.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
I'm a "snaker" as they call it, and I really don't play Mario Kart DS online anymore, because I've had the game for a long time already and played it to a pulp, and playing random strangers online with no form of communication isn't exactly a wonderful online experience. Sure I could kick their buttocks in every single race with my eyes closed*, but I can already do that on the Grand Prix, and those opponents actually put up a fight.

*figuratively speaking. I can't beat anyone with my eyes closed.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
What's a snaker??
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
One who snakes, powersliding left and right on straightaways. If you've ever been just barely behind first place with no other means to gain speed than to power slide, you have probably snaked before. It's noticeably harder in some Mario Kart games than in others, with Double Dash and especially DS being where it's easiest. But in Wii I still try... I do what I can to get an extra power slide in.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
Maybe it's not cheating per se, but maybe it's to denote a different class of players. Those who snake (I'm assuming it's the same in Mario Kart DS as in F-Zero GX) exploit some glitch or hard-to-do thing in the game to leave everyone else in their dust. Players who can't snake can't hope to catch up. Players who do snake are in the same league and become challengers for snakers. But if anyone calls a Mario Kart DS player an amateur because they can't snake, go ahead and punch their lights out. They're just different classes of players.

I'm saying this in a vain attempt to justify getting totally whooped by some veteran players at Smash Bros. Melee, who were shinesparking and move-canceling and top+A-on-the-ground'ing all over the place. They looked like they were floating. Yes they're experts, but they're also on a whole other plane that I don't think I'd ever reach unless I learned those moves. Does that make me a beginner? I don't think so.

By the way, recently got Smash Bros. Brawl. Woo! I think Sakurai said that people who play Brawl expecting Melee moves and speed and all that are going to have a hard time adjusting. And... yeah. I mean, it's going to take me a while to get used to it, Brawl definitely feels different from Melee. And everything does seem slower, or at least characters have been given wider ranges in speed. Because of this, I'm back to liking Fox again since he can move.
But one of these days, I'm going to have to put Bunny Ears on Sonic and watch him outrace the racers at Big Blue for myself.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »
Anti-snakers are major scrubs, no two ways about it.

I've also recently met hundreds of scrubs in online Soulcalibur IV.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »
But one of these days, I'm going to have to put Bunny Ears on Sonic and watch him outrace the racers at Big Blue for myself.
Maybe it's just me, but on those rare, wonderful occasions when I'm playing as a Bunny Hood-clad Sonic, he doesn't really seem that much faster (but, c'mon... it would be, well, dangerous for him to be much faster).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
Anti-snakers are major scrubs, no two ways about it.

I've also recently met hundreds of scrubs in online Soulcalibur IV.

Mario Kart is serious business.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
If you don't play to win, don't complain when you lose.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »
powersliding left and right on straightaways.

Thats what I do.  It's not cheating,  it just gives you a boost so you can get ahead!  It was built into the game to intentionally be used so therefore it is not cheating.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Print