Print

Author Topic: The Best Video Games You've Never Heard Of  (Read 41648 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »
I think he was being weirdly sarcastic (look at the rest of his post, for goodness sake. Or maybe he lives in a down comprised entirely of XBox fanboys).

Now Twilight Princess... that's underrated (by some).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »
I'm probably going to list entries I've mentioned before in another thread, but here we go.

Ardy Lightfoot (SNES)
It's one of those games where the controls are lame and the difficulty occasionally ridiculous, but it compensates with charm in the visuals, some surprisingly good music, and... er, I guess that's it. Reminds me of SNES Lion King, although I think Lion King is slightly better. Anyway, it's a side-scrolling platformer where you play as Ardy Lightfoot, a meerkat guy with all the typical side-scroller moves. You can bounce on your tail like a pogo stick to reach high areas. Your buddy in this quest is Pec, a penguin (although he looks like a blue blob to me) who you can throw at enemies in a yo-yo fashion. Pec will go ahead and eat any enemies he touches. Later on you'll also find a powerup to turn Pec into a flying thing. If you hit an enemy, Pec disappears, but you'll find chests along the way to regain Pec. Get hit without Pec and you're done for. But you can still attack enemies by bouncing on them with your pogo tail. And a very useful tip I found out thanks to Nintendo Power: Hold Up for a couple seconds while standing still, and Ardy will pull out a screen thing to make himself invisible. Enemies can pass right by you if you have the screen up. Release to put the screen away, otherwise it goes away after a few seconds.

Chameleon Twist (N64)
Goofy little game that I think was early in the N64's lifespan. Probably was because the four characters you could play as looked nothing like chameleons. Some decent challenge and puzzles, cutesy perhaps. I tried playing one of the Gex games but couldn't get into it, and I never tried Glover, so this is the only low-budget 3D-platformer ripoff game I know of for N64.

Destruction Derby 64 (N64)
Don't know if this game's obscure, but come on, you win races by crashing into cars as hard as you can. How can that not be fun?

Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure (GBC)
This is the best Lion King game I've ever played. Granted this is next to SNES Lion King (I complain about its controls and frustrating difficulty), so that's not saying a lot. Looks and sounds a bit odd, yes. Music is either entertaining or gets on your nerves fast. The Timon and Pumbaa minigames are just as pointless as ever. But once you get used to the weird controls, it seems to control better than SNES Lion King (maybe it's just that there aren't as many cliffs to fall off of). The movie screenshots before and after each level are cool. And it even gets a little into Lion King II at the end.

On The Ball (SNES)
This was known in arcades or Japan or something as Camel Try. You have to get a ball through a maze. But the trick here is that you're rotating the maze itself, not the ball. The only control you have over the ball is making it speed up or jump. You'll also deal with pinball bumpers and gravitational pulling things and having to avoid X blocks... see, you have a certain time limit to finish each level. When you finish a level, the remaining time is carried over to the next plus like 20 seconds. If you hit an X block, 2 or maybe 5 seconds are taken away, giving you less time to get to the finish. Some levels may have gravity inverted so the ball falls up. Some levels might restrict how far you can move the maze so you'd have to bounce the ball along. Many challenging levels, amazing music, surreal pictures whenever you finish a group of levels... I recommend trying it out, this was one of my favorite SNES games.

Soul Blazer (SNES)
This is the first of a trilogy of RPG games. Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. I can see the influence of this game on Illusion of Gaia because you attacked enemies you saw on the screen (instead of having to go to a separate battle mode screen). But I never felt that Soul Blazer was an RPG, really. It was too arcade-like for that. What I got out of it was that you go to an area, annihilate every enemy you can find, then go back to town and advance to the next plot point. Then go back down to the enemy area and blast more enemies. I never got far in the game, I was still in the first town (if there were any towns after that). But it was still fun.

Super Tetris 3 (SNES)
Japan-only game, but it's almost completely comprehensible (maybe I got a translated version) and offers the best version of Tetris I've played (more so than The New Tetris). Addictive music (I love their version of Parorinka), some guy shouts out "Single!" "Double!" "Triple!" "TETRIS!" as you make lines, appealing visuals. I like how the background for a Tetris game changes as you go up in levels, so the sky is daytime at first and then eventually goes to night. Also comes with Magicaliss, which reminds me of Tetris 2 in that the blocks are different colors and grouped colors will disappear, and another version of Bombliss called Sparkliss (what we may know as Tetris Blast). Sparkliss has fantasy backgrounds. The first background of Contest Mode for Sparkliss has a couple slightly-animated dragons on either side of the well, thought that was neat.

I wonder what people thought of Hybrid Heaven and Winback: Covert Operations, both for N64. I never tried them, but people hyped up Hybrid Heaven like crazy.

Games I've heard of before that have already been posted in this thread:
Chip's Challenge (very fun)
Plok (played it LONG ago. Pretty much the only thing I remember is the music for the first stage, which is surprisingly good)
Skyblazer (meh, kind of fun)
Space Station: Silicon Valley (cool ideas, but too smart for me)
Tetris Blast and Super Bombliss (too bad I'm terrible at that game)
Uniracers (one of the best SNES games EVER - woo! By the way, the developer for Uniracers was who we now know as Rockstar North)
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »
I rather liked Super Tetris 3 the few times I played it. Also, for anyone interested in On the Ball/Cameltry, Taito Legends 2 contains the arcade version.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »
Ardy Lightfoot (SNES)
Good times.
Chameleon Twist (N64)
Concept is a little interesting, actual game falls a bit flat.  And I'd say it was maybe a bit more middish in the lifespan, but eh 18 months in I guess.
On The Ball (SNES)
Good, even better if you have a mouse, and better still if the mouse works as well as it's supposed to.
Soul Blazer (SNES)
It wasn't until very recently that I finally checked this out, and while I can understand that there are things in the games to have something with the other two action RPGs, I definitely include the ActRaiser games as part of this series.  I can't help it if you're going to use similar graphics, refer to the Master, and include monster lairs.
Super Tetris 3 (SNES)
It is indeed completely comprehensible.  My Tetris of Choice and I've been playing it a lot again lately, really like getting ranked. (Gamma right now)

By the way, the developer for Uniracers was who we now know as Rockstar North)
* Eclipsed Moon smiles knowingly.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
Chameleon Twist (N64)
Goofy little game that I think was early in the N64's lifespan. Probably was because the four characters you could play as looked nothing like chameleons. Some decent challenge and puzzles, cutesy perhaps. I tried playing one of the Gex games but couldn't get into it, and I never tried Glover, so this is the only low-budget 3D-platformer ripoff game I know of for N64.

Actually, the opening cutscene showed the main character as an ordinary chameleon chasing a white rabbit down a vase which contained a portal to another world, Alice in Wonderland-style. Apparently getting sent to this other world causing him to turn into a humanoid with gloves, shoes and a backpack.

For the record, Glover was a pretty unique concept, but upon going back to it the other day, I can tell you the game is as slow and clunky as molasses with chunks of iron in it.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »
I really enjoyed Bomberman 64, although I doubt it's underrated.  Does anyone have any GBA recommendations?  The only games I have for GBA and GBC are all Mario, Pokemon RBY and Silver, and two Sonics; the rest consist of a TMNT game, a pinball game, Tony Hawk 3, and an old GBC game called Twubble about the Looney Toons.  Those last few games were all pretty bad.

I never played it myself, but Army Men: Sarge's Heroes for the N64 was very fun to watch.  I guess I admire the variety in level structure and location, although nowadays Pikmin is the superior.  I've never played Pikmin either.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 10:51:24 AM »
Some company really needs to acquire the Army Men license and make a new game that doesn't suck.
every

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
Does anyone have any GBA recommendations?
Advance Wars
Metroid: Zero Mission
Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Gunstar Super Heroes

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »
Mega Man Zero 2
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Gradius Galaxies
Phalanx
Drill Dozer
Namco Museum

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
Games I think are underrated:

Sonic Adventure Battle 2 (GCN)
Medievil (PS1)
EarthWorm Jim 3D (N64)
Space Invaders (N64)

Sonic Adventure Battle 2 is the best Sonic game in my opinion. (And yes, I've played them all)
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 12:03:33 PM »
Persona 3 for the PS2 doesn't have very much of a spotlight, partly because it's on PS2 and was released not too long ago, but It's still extremely awesome.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 12:12:01 PM »
As you might know, I agree wholeheartedly.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 07:12:36 PM »
Sonic Rush Adventure doesn't get nearly enough credit.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print