Print

Author Topic: Albums you think are perfect  (Read 5664 times)

« on: June 28, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
Perfect as in, there is not a single thing in it that you ever find yourself complaining about. Not even a minor detail you would change, add or subtract.

Although my music collection consists of over 250 CDs, I barely feel qualified to answer since at least 80% of them are greatest-hits releases. With a handful of exceptions, I tend to only buy bona-fide albums from artists with a consistently good catalog. Regardless, here are the albums I consider to be on the verge of sonic perfection:

The Beatles - Rubber Soul: It's pretty much everything an album should be. Every song is distinct, but unified by an overall feeling. Not to mention, "In My Life" is one of the most beautiful songs ever committed to tape.

The Beatles - Revolver: Like its predecessor, but more electric, eclectic, innovative and exploratory. Even the ever-retarded "Yellow Submarine" does little to bring the album down... Too bad the same can't be said of George's meandering, curry-scented contribution, however.

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush: Save perhaps for the throwaway ditties which conclude each side of the record on a comparatively light note, every song is wrought with raw emotion and meaning.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV: Hurr durr isn't this such an original choice? I just can't help but love every track on the album, with the possible exception of "Four Sticks". So sue me.

Tiny Tim - God Bless Tiny Tim: **** the haters; Tiny Tim is where it's at.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:45:28 AM »
Coltrane: Blue Train

Florence and the Machine: Lungs

Daft Punk Alive 2007

Beatles: Abbey Road
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:28:33 AM »
I don't think Alive 2007 is perfect, there are a few downers in there.

Discovery, however, is perfect.

Also: Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

Honorable mention: Breaking Benjamin - Phobia (the intro and outro tracks, albeit short, are so stupid)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
I don't think Alive 2007 is perfect, there are a few downers in there.
**** it **** it **** it **** it **** it **** it **** it **** it

Discovery, however, is perfect.
Especially when you watch the video.

Can't say I'd find any albums "perfect," especially since you'd all ignore anything I say in favor of making fun of the "fact" that all I listen to is annoying Japanese music...

...oh, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92 would absolutely be there if the audio quality were higher, though.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
My favorite band is Nirvana and Nevermind has most of their best songs.

So...Nirvana: Nevermind. This album has Smells Like Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, Polly AND Lithium.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:44:13 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
I just can't not spawn a parade of clone threads, can I
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
I'm tempted to make "Movies you think are perfect."

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
That's not a great plan, because I would say Jurassic Park, and we'd have to shut the thread down, because it would complete.  Because Jurassic Park is the best movie that will ever be, and there can really be no debate about it.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Not that I don't appreciate any appearance by The Dude, isn't that the whole point of this new breed of thread, our opinions?

Also, I know it's kind of cheating, because it's a greatest hits album, but The Best of Hall & Oates is perfect listening to me as well.  And this isn't some ironic listening habit, I actually really enjoy Hall & Oates.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:34 PM »
Not that I don't appreciate any appearance by The Dude, isn't that the whole point of this new breed of thread, our opinions?

Speaking of which, I'm really glad no one has tried to argue yet.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
The "you think" part in the title is there for a very good reason
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
This thread sucks compared to the original.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
*Boots up iTunes*

Alright, now I've got a ton of "classic" albums that I've either half-listened to or not gotten around to at all, so cut me some slack if a few of these sound really lame. Once again, this is...

"Near-Perfect"

American Idiot, Green Day: The emotional state I was in at the end of high school (when I finally got around to voluntarily listening to more than just the title track) may have been a factor, but I still think it's a remarkable, ever-revelant example of modern concept rock. "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is a bit repetitive and confusing, though (the excessive radio replay it got probably didn't help matters any).

Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf: As both a writer and... well, music appreciator, I love the epic scale and lyrical scope, from start to finish. Bat Out of Hell II is no less awesome, but I think the relative shortness of the original is to its strength as a collectively "perfect" album. Meanwhile, Bat Out of Hell III is somewhat disjointed, and Hang Cool Teddy Bear is best experienced through one or two iTunes singles.

Batman, Prince: As in, the soundtrack to the movie. Granted, a good deal of these songs were in the working stages before he was approached to integrate them into a superhero movie, but it's still an impressively good standalone album. I would be perfectly content if "Scandalous!" were a little shorter, though.

Blink-182, Blink-182: Okay, this is more along the lines of "I just really like this album", but I still think it's cool how these guys went from making a bonus track called "**** a Dog" to doing borderline experimental rock. The song-to-song transitions, the cool audio samples, the unconventional musical keys... it was jarring when I first heard it, but it's definitely their most mature album--in a good way.

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, My Chemical Romance: Is the "plot" of this album vague as hell, music videos or none? I suppose so, but the vibe running through every song is what matters, and that vibe is "Mad Max meets 21st Century Breakdown meets some of the catchiest riffs in recent memory". Seriously, if you can't think of at least one daily activity that would be automatically more kickass while listening to "Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)", then I cannot help you.

The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd: And now, for something completely different! Do I listen to this album very much (anymore)? No--but then again, I haven't had any desire to see Citizen Kane since I last did many years ago, and I'll still admit that it's a profound film. The same here: Everything, from the production to the running themes, is as well-composed as you're likely to ever find.

Honorable mentions

The Black Parade, My Chemical Romance: There's a track or two or that grate on me ("Mama", in particular, because it takes the Pink Floyd influences of "The End." and runs with them to the point that it's almost the auditory equivalent of jumping the shark), but the rest is wonderful, if not somewhat of a downer.

Broken, Nine Inch Nails: I'm no fan of short instrumentals and awkwardly "hidden" songs (although I suppose it's cool, since you can't do that as easily these days), but the songs proper are killer.

Dig Out Your Soul, Oasis: The last album by the collectively noted plagarist and arrogant d-bag that is Oasis? It may seem like an odd pick, but there's not a single song on this album that I don't want to listen to. Sure, it starts to peter out with the last couple of tracks, but it's overall one of the rare albums that I could listen to start-to-finish with no complaints.

Europop, Eiffel 65: It's a strange case, these guys: They release one album in English with a single that practically divides time (Before "I'm Blue" and Anno "I'm Blue"), then promptly returned to the obscurity of the Italian club scene. It's not revolutionary or emotionally compelling in any way, but it's great at what it is: Thirteen tracks of repetition-tastic dance music with thumping beats and vocoding out the wazoo. For those who may recall, "Silicon World" is something of a theme song of mine.

Favourite Worst Nightmare, Arctic Monkeys: Once again, it's nothing historical, but this another one of those albums that's great to the last note.

Folie à Deux, Fall Out Boy: Same thing here, really. Of course, I had to make up my own names for the songs just to remember what the hell they were actually about, so maybe not...

21st Century Breakdown, Green Day: As convoluted as its "story" is, the album's overall structure and, well, catchiness is hard to argue with.

Also, for what it's worth, I believe my favorite song is "Take it Back", off Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »
This thread sucks compared to the original.

Well that's more to the difference of what is good in each medium. All music can be seen as good by SOMEONE, but there are games that can be nearly objectively called bad. So if you limit it just to games that are not broken or something, there is significant cut to the titles you can choose. Plus, music has always been around, whereas games are only around 30-40.

Another honorable mention, as well,
Clutch: From Beale Street to Oblivion. Great blues rock, and you might recognize the song Electric Worry from the L4D2 commercial. Very powerful storytelling, the lyrics mesh with the slightly scratchy rough voice of Neil Fallon.

Print