Print

Author Topic: Changing One's IP Address  (Read 11079 times)

« on: December 22, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
Like a one-man 21st-century A-Team, I've been banned from 4chan for a crime I didn't commit, and can't appeal the ban for three whole days. Am I just supposed to select "Use the following IP address" and fill in the fields with random numbers?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
Unplugging and replugging your router should change it. Most routers also have a place in the settings to change your IP to something random.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
It worked, though reconnecting to the internet was a *****. Routers have to be among the most user-unfriendly consumer hardware around.

Thanks.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
If you want a new IP, you could try unplugging your modem, not router, and that might do it. It's likely that your IP changes periodically, as that is what most home ISPs do, but it's not guaranteed that resetting the modem will get you a new one. You may just have to wait out the ban. To pass the time and get your daily fix of enriching social content, I suggest Reddit or Gaia.

Edit: I have determined that this post is unnecessary. I will leave it here for posterity.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »
Come on Weegee, 3 days away from 4chan can't be that bad.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »
If you want a new IP, you could try unplugging your modem, not router, and that might do it. It's likely that your IP changes periodically, as that is what most home ISPs do, but it's not guaranteed that resetting the modem will get you a new one. You may just have to wait out the ban. To pass the time and get your daily fix of enriching social content, I suggest Reddit or Gaia.

Edit: I have determined that this post is unnecessary. I will leave it here for posterity.
Actually, I ment modem, "router" was as in "DSL router". I don't know if Canada gets DSL or not, though.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
Come on Weegee, 3 days away from 4chan can't be that bad.

It was a permanent ban. In the likely event of the appeal being denied, I could be waiting months before my IP changed itself.

you could try unplugging your modem, not router

I unplugged whichever one says D-Link. Not sure what DSL is, or if we have it.

Reddit or Gaia.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
66 dollars and 67 cents later, I'm able to connect to the internet once more.

I expect compensation, equalsign.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:57 PM »
Not sure how that cost you to unplug and replug a thing.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »
We had to call a guy over to fix our settings. For some reason, starting yeesterday morning, my parents' laptop was connecting to the internet, but mine wasn't.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Our router died last night, so we bought an identical model. It allowed us to connect to the internet automatically, without having to set up any passwords. In other words, I think our connection is unsecured. What's the worst thing that could happen? Would this allow nearby people to somehow access private information?

EDIT: For reference, this is what the connection looks like:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:45:49 PM by Weegee »

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 08:15:22 PM »
I tried setting up a password with D-Link's Wireless Network Setup Wizard, but that just kept us from being able to connect to the internet due to the security settings not matching the requirements or something. After changing the security back to Open, my parents can't connect their laptop to the internet anymore. Despite the connection being open, it wants them to input that 63-digit key, which it says is invalid.

What the **** am I doing wrong? Why do they make this so ****ing difficult?

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
Looks like it's going to cost us yet another $66 to sort this out.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
...Another $66.67, to be precise. How is anyone without an engineering degree supposed to figure out how to set up a router connection?

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 03:19:24 AM »
Go into your browser and type one of the following addresses; 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1. Press Enter and you should be greeted with the router setup page login. The username should be 'admin' and the password blank; if it isn't, Google the default settings for your model of router. You should now be able to use the settings inside the router to set a proper internet password. Change all of the connected devices in your home to match these settings and you'll be good to go. If you can, try to set the encryption type to WPA2, or WPA (on the router, then on each individual device), as they're the most secure and the least retarded.

If you have any more questions, shoot me a PM, or try Googling the model number for assistance. It's bogus how they want you to pay that much for help with your connection, I normally just ring my phone company and they help me for nothing if I'm having issues. Best of luck.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print