Print

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of a new Forum  (Read 8846 times)

« on: September 11, 2003, 04:49:04 PM »
Ok, for a while lately, Ive been complaining about this message board. Well, now, Im going to explain the pros and cons of a new forum.

First of all, if Classicgaming doesnt offer PHP, mySQL, or doesnt let Deezer get another forum, then Im just wasting my time.
Anyways...

Getting a New FOrum

People:
Pro:Most new forums allow you to see a complete member list and see who's online as well as saying the newest registered member. Practically a must for any really popular forum. People want to know who's online so they know they arent posting to themself.
Con:You will not have any of the first members here, like Frostbite or anyone like that, but life goes on. Sometimes, if they see that no one's online(a member), they will just leave and not post, or in a huge poster's case, like me, I would want to post in all the topics herself so that she was the last poster and would let others post and stuff like that.

Pro/Con:Many forums let people have avatars. That usually gets out of hand-especially when people start putting them in their signatures (like N-cubed.com, that's why their forums are so screwed up). I guess that's a con too. Maybe these forums support avatars, but Deezer probably turned it off.

Moderation/Administration

Pro: Now I dont know how this forums Admin panel and mod panel is like, but I know it's not as good as the ones today. The admin panels now have lots and lots and lots and lots of customization-ban people, rank names, emoticons, forum layout......

Cons:I dont think there would be any. I mean, isnt more customization better?

The User

Pro: Nowadays, more things have been added for User benifits and their posts. Easy clicking buttons for text links and Bolding and such for non-HTML users, wide variety of emoticons instead of text emoticons(=S) or the four emoticons on this forum... and much more.

COns: People wont be able to go HTML crazy in the forums like use Java or colored scrollbars in these forums, but that's not needed. I cant really think of anything else bad cept that maybe the people might go emoticon crazy, but oh well.

Sheesh! I cant think of anything else at the moment!!! Ill add more pros and cons when i think of it.

Oh, and a good place to see the perfect forum that Im practically is at Lissa Explains it All-HTML Help for Kids Forum

They have 10000 registered people and their forums are run properly as a huge forum with the most up-to-date forum from Bravenet I believe. It's really great(except I hate it because they only talk about HTML with kids). So maybe Deezer can think this over and try getting a forum like THAT. Man, will you have a killer forum!

But the question Im asking is.......

DO CLASSICGAMING GIVE YOU PHP AND A MYSQL DATABASE????

If so, then it would be very cool if you get a new forum. That's all for now...

-----------------------------

Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 05:29:26 PM »
First, see what I said here.

Also, why do we need to see who's online when we post? That's the point of a BBS, the people don't have to be online. This isn't a chat room, dude.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 05:42:24 PM »
It's still good to know, ya know.

Besides, it's Deezer's descision. I know he wants a vBulletin board. There's so much cool stuff to do in it and stuff.....

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 09:49:32 PM »
jon said, "You wouldnt know a good, more modern forum even if it bit you in the butt!

Actually, I do know about the "more modern" fourms, but don't like them.  I hate all the avatars, gifs, sigs, emoticons, and marques.  I want content.  All of the other stuff is just distracting.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 10:19:14 PM »
I said he didnt have to do that-the avatars.

I just wish Deezer would do SOMETHING with the forums. A change of pace. SOmething new! Aie curamba!

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 10:56:09 PM »
What Luigison said.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 11:33:06 PM »
No way.. I really like the forums this way. Yes, new forums are all flashy and stuff (Heck, I'm even a mod on one) but theres just something about the TMK boards here... It's diffrent, old, and original. Thats what makes it better!
No, really, I did get SMA4 six days early.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 01:40:38 PM »
Why are people never happy? 'Cuz they're not content. Why aren't they content?  Because they always want something new. When they DO get something new, it doesn't make them happy because they're not content.  Therefore, they want more.

Wanna learn how to be happy? Learn to appreciate and be content with what you have. Sure, it's okay to want things and get new, but you should still be content with what you already have.

--Sapphira's Daily Words of Wisdom

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 02:49:26 PM »
I think the forums are fine. What exactly could you do to make a forum more advanced any how? The moral of the story is don't mess with success baby. And also I'm thinking about changing my sig to "Heir of the Lime-Green Crown". I just got done reading the LOTR trilogy and I might just be feeling temporarily kingly, If you think this is a better sig then my current one let me know in the book club thread. I don't want to waste any more space in here. I know this is extremely off topic but I thought it was too insignificant to put as a thread all by its lonesome.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 03:35:55 PM »
Sapphira, I'm calling you "Yoda" from now on.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 04:58:54 PM »
My dog's name is Yoda!

Funny Things to do With Your Microwave

Get a toothpick and stick into a piece of cork. Light the tip on fire, place in the microwave, and rev it up. Vertical fireballs should ride from the toothpick up to the top of the microwave. LD, you have an E-Z Bake Oven, but it won''t work with that I don''t think
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 05:39:10 PM »
That was stupid.

And of course, people want newer stuff! WHat if we had old computers? We wouldnt be able to do have the stuff we CAN do! FOr one, if PHP and mySQL was never invented, this forum woulnt be up.

Look, all Im really asking is for a little change. If Deezer can respect that for me and future TMKers, he'll have happier people.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 06:40:32 PM »
Stupid is my middle name :) Wait...

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 06:45:59 PM »
Shut up about what my dog's name is or what my post is about jon. Ok. Right there, folks. That is the only sentence I will say from now on when Jon says something stupid to me. Ok?

Anyway, the forums are fine and don't need to be changed. Don't worry about it.

Funny Things to do With Your Microwave

Get a toothpick and stick into a piece of cork. Light the tip on fire, place in the microwave, and rev it up. Vertical fireballs should ride from the toothpick up to the top of the microwave. LD, you have an E-Z Bake Oven, but it won''t work with that I don''t think
Formerly quite reasonable.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 06:46:54 PM »
I like these forums:  they're not flashy and don't have a lot of pointless gimmicks, and so aren't painful to look at nor super slow to load.  Hence, the forums must reky upon such things as meanful discussion and content to stay interesting.

Plus the code behind it is very solid and reliable; I tried to start a Word Association thread (with respects to Chocobo) in a newer-formatted forum, but the topic page loading began slowing down substantially before the thread even got to page 20.

Bottom line, I can't think of anything that could be changed here at the Fungi Forums that could possibly make it better than it already is, and if there were to be a forum change, I probably wouldn't stick around.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 07:00:32 PM »
For the second time, I agree with fifth.

Fruit...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 07:16:09 PM »
How bout a bit more organization? I think that there should be a spam thread. I mean, cmon! Look at all the threads Insane Stever had to close on General Chat(even though 2 were mine=P).

Deezer should do something.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2003, 12:43:17 PM »
A...spam thread? Uh...

This is the guy who wants to make the forums better?

*scratches head*

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2003, 01:35:01 PM »
OK! I DONT KNOW!!!!

This forum is missing something-I just cant get my finger right on it! Ahhhh! Jon! Think!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2003, 02:06:20 PM »
 It's missing the substance it once had.

As of late, nothing but pointless bickering and countless arguments have been posted.

It's disheartening to hear, but the community we once had is no more.

To be honest, I've written up plenty of posts, lately, only to click the back button. Mainly, because what I would have posted probably would have caused more trouble than anything else. I don't like censoring myself, but I have done so lately to avoid conflict.

What I'm getting at is that censoring one's self is something those "parties whom shall remained unnamed" should look into. If someone angers you, don't give them the satisfaction of a response. It's fine to defend yourself, but when you do so in such a manner as the offender did to you, it means nothing.

Not only that, but all it does is "fuel the fire", so to speak. You're giving them a reason to continue. So, please, instead of the constant squabbles, let us get this forum back on track, not with flash avatars, nor signatures, but first with our own attitudes.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2003, 02:28:16 PM »
Me and luigi~lover posted two non-stupid topics in general chat.  It was hard, especially since I was locked in the mario bar closet by someone.*cough*Chupperson Weird*cough*

Fruit...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2003, 04:07:03 PM »
I think Black Mage should get the Smartest Person Alive Poster Award.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2003, 08:47:42 PM »
FWIW, I've tested phpBB on KonTek, and it's a possibility we'll move the board to that.

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2003, 09:01:14 PM »
Yeah, phpBB is a good forum. I remember Rork having it.

BTW, has Deezer have any ideas of a possible Portal in the mere future? Like I said, Classicgaming needs to offer PHP and mySQL to do these things...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2003, 09:37:22 PM »
You people never learn, do you?
The elder members of the board want it to stay simple, and if that's not an indication that we've got a good forum in spite of all the new junk, I don't know what is.

I was on a phpBB forum once. I hated it. Also, it wouldn't let me log in. It was full of problems. It wouldn't load. I don't like phpBB.
I also hate all the other new forum things.
Also, there are no mod CPs here. And it works a lot better than the other forums I moderate.
Also, if these ever turn into something like the GamingForce forums, I'll never be here again.

I have a better idea:
Instead of all these newbies trying to make the board change, why don't they just go and make their own forum, with all the stupid junk they want, and leave us alone? I've about had enough of this whining. Let us rebuild the greatness that was these forums.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 9/13/2003 8:41:32 PM
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2003, 12:54:25 AM »
I'm posting this to prove a point.

I am not for a new board to have new features or whatever.  I'm for a new board that properly implements what the current board is capable of.  One that doesn't let you circumvent the closed thread like I'm doing now.  One where bans actually work.  Most importantly, I'm for a new board because the CG server isn't keeping up with the load very well on this board (I get processing timed out errors all the time).  The Admins (Deezer & I, at least) would like something that works better so it's not just newbies that want a new board.  Furthermore, just because you had a bad experience with phpBB on somebody else's server doesn't mean that you'll have the same problems with ours.  Besides, I was simply commentting that I had installed Rork's board and it worked really well on Kontek.  This doesn't mean we necessarily have to go with phpBB.  I think it's ridiculous to close this thread without discussion.  We can turn off the flashy stuff.  I don't want avatars and eye candy, etc., I just want something that works properly and the current board is not cutting it.

Reply here

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 9/16/2003 7:04:46 PM

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2003, 07:47:51 PM »
Aw no, you just gave away the secret to replying to closed threads!
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2003, 08:38:57 PM »
That's cool! Yay! Time to talk in my Yay thread! Bwahahahahaha! Evil jon! Just kidding. Well......maybe once. Er, ya.

Anyways, I know Rork. Yay! Im talking to him right now.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2003, 10:02:37 PM »
Well, MB, I can see that. But every transplanted board I've seen has died. There's something about these forums that makes them cool. And that would be lost in a newer forum. Plus, all the archives couldn't be moved to a new board. It sure seems like a better idea just to keep them the way they are now.
If you think you have to make another forum, then leave links to this one on the main site, so the elder members can still come here. I won't be going to a new board.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2003, 11:42:28 PM »
The secret was right under my nose. I can't believe I couldn't figure it out.

X-Box and PS2 Suck with a capital "S".
Deezer was here.

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2003, 11:45:54 PM »

Edited by - nintendofreak on 9/15/2003 11:00:43 PM
Deezer was here.

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2003, 11:50:22 PM »
Let jon have his Yay! topic.
Deezer was here.

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2003, 11:51:02 PM »

Edited by - nintendofreak on 9/15/2003 10:59:31 PM

Deezer was here.

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2003, 11:39:19 AM »
What do you know? Here's another old member saying again, don't change the boards.

Don't change the boards. Please?

*whimpers*

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2003, 01:53:17 PM »
After thinking a little, it seems like perhaps MEGAߥTE is compromising the board structure to sway the argument in favor of a new board. I don't agree with this tactic. By revealing secrets, you're just opening the way to another Code Wars.* These forums work quite well when you don't do something like that.

*(Thereby furthering the argument.)
That was a joke.

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2003, 04:22:36 PM »
WHat this forum defineltly needs is a new server. It goes extremely slow now for me and i have LAN(local Area Network-cable). This is rediculous.

Edited by - jon on 9/16/2003 3:23:29 PM

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2003, 05:20:46 PM »
I don't really think this forum really needs any modifications, other than perhaps a little more SPEED!CashCrazed

Unofficial Moderator

Don't try it, Phantos!Posted - 8 March 2003 12:13 PST  'Show  'Email      Posts: 2022
Imagine if every post had this sort of glitterati. Avatars, rankings, personal descriptions! Would you prefer that to this uniform posting manner that is now?

Welcome.......to the future!

Edited by - CashCrazed on 9/16/2003 4:22:07 PM

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2003, 05:24:46 PM »
Eh, CashCrazed, Deezer has the avaliability to turn those things on and off. I say the new forum is still a good idea.

And I think I might give myself an avatar in these forums too..... I know how.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2003, 08:02:05 PM »
No, actually I admit that it was stupid to post the reply link, at least until we had discussed more.  However, I was also afraid that a new thread on the topic would simply be closed again.
It should be noted that Gamespy no longer supports this board, and it's entirely possible that they will remove ASP support since it's apparently such a resource drain.  Note that I'm not proposing a new board for the sake of a new board, but for the sake of security on the existing board.  I think I'll close the holes in this one myself, but that doesn't help problems with speed/responsiveness, my main gripe.
It's entirely possible that the people wanting new stuff will just use the IRC chatroom instead and nobody but the oldest members will bother with this one anyway.  We'll just have to see.
I ask that people do not exploit the hole I displayed unless you want to be banned.

Print