Print

Author Topic: Important New Rules  (Read 42857 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2004, 03:51:20 PM »
"Uh."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2004, 03:58:44 PM »
Nice to see the rules are finally being laid out, per se.

As for moderating, I've read A LOT of hateful comments about me closing threads instead of deleting them. Listen, I'm an admin on a 10,000+ member forum! There's a good reason I was initally chosen as a mod here. That is, the staff here trust my opinions. I close threads instead of deleting them because I want the admins here to SEE what is going on!

*sigh* -- don't mind me, I'm in my "blow up at everything" mood today.

Should I report strikes and things here? Or come up with, as I said before, my own crazy idea?

~I.S.~

Edited by - Insane Steve on 4/5/2004 3:00:56 PM
~I.S.~

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2004, 05:00:21 PM »
""Uh.""

"Yay."

-----------------------------
Mario likes to dance in his backwards pants! Yay!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »
"*sigh* -- don't mind me, I'm in my "blow up at everything" mood today."

Yeah, I was too when I posted my post. Sorry, Sapph, but some things I said are true or mostly true in the mods/admins' eyes.

Ok, lemme get to it. WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS.... that this strike system is not giving a fair chance to everyone who comes here except for the people who act "perfect" and never do anything wrong.

Do you ever get so mad that you hit something, then when you hit whatever you were gonna hit, it hurts making you even MORE mad?
Formerly quite reasonable.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2004, 07:26:56 PM »
-_-'

One warning and three chances beyond that seems pretty lenient to me...

Also, what are you talking about, the mods/admins viewing it differently? The only reason I "officially" start this was because they all thought it was a good idea--on their own accord.

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »
The strike system is just out right stupid. Like marioguy!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2004, 07:28:26 PM »
Deezer said Uh?  I'm satisfied.

I am going to say the only things that truly make me feel uncomfortable around the forum:

1. The posting strikes in public.  Of course, Sapphira is considering how to handle this, and if she really wants to post them for all to see, I'll respect her decision, which ever because even if people condescend others and/or make fun of them for being striked, then they have  to consider their personal moral code, fast.

2.  The little things that mods write when they edit other people's posts.  I mean, when the postor said something mildly bad, but bad enough to be edited, the response that the editor gives let's others that read it assume that it was something a whole lot worse.  Of course, this is MY problem, it really isn't relevant.  I don't even know why I posted it.

That's all that actually bothers me when I'm on the boards.  Of course, it isn't the mods that necessarily are to blame.  It's a two-way street.  Most of us (whoever) are making this strike system into a bigger deal than it really is.  Or maybe I'm the only one doing that.  All that should happen is that the average postors accept the strike system, and the moderators and administrators are strict to a fair extent.  I mean, they lay down the law and don't overdo it. "Strict" might be too strong a word.  That's all.

''Are spirits delicious?''
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2004, 07:29:45 PM »
If only you saw that pig picture I posted. It was so funny.

We should just start from scratch.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2004, 07:36:33 PM »
My question: When was this "officially" discussed among ALL the mods? I never heard about it.

And if the answer is the chat, I have this feeling I'm missing out on A LOT of opportunities because I have had bad experiences with the chat and won't go there anymore... (And the Java doesn't work anymore).

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2004, 07:51:41 PM »
I.S.: True, it WAS discussed among all the mods/admins while in the chatroom, but if I recall correctly, both of us discussed the strike system before any of them did--in "what in the name of Mario....?"

You seemed--at least IMO--to think this was a good idea. I elaborated, but you never responded.

--------------------

Edited by - Sapphira on 4/5/2004 6:55:13 PM

"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2004, 08:05:06 PM »
All of "Mario Word Association" would be lost if we started from scratch.

I'm all for this strike system. Nobody should care about punishment of rule breakers if they plan to not break rules themselves. I'd prefer IP banning after first offences (if IP means that it prevents them from ever joining here again with the same internet account, but I don't know)It's not like you can accidently let something slip like in casual conversation. Everyone here is typing whatever they post, and, so far, every keyboard I've seen has had a backspace button, so common cence says that if a person takes the time to fill out their username and password, type something here,  and click reply, they meant to break whatever rule they happen to break and deserve to be banned. Nobody is crazy enough to type and post a rule breaking item out of impulse and not catch themselves before clicking respond. See there, I typed every swear word I know, but nobody can see it or tell there was anyhing there. I say thumbs up to strike system.
I suppose I'll discuss some of the more serious issues.

Brother who commonly posts here: agrees with me in slight, thinks Trainman has some good points.

Canadian buddy: Doesn't care
Let me away from this boulder!

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2004, 09:11:37 PM »
"All of "Mario Word Association" would be lost if we started from scratch."

I mean't everyone's arguing and hatrid.

"I'm all for this strike system. Nobody should care about punishment of rule breakers if they plan to not break rules themselves."

There's always a time in your life when you have to break the rules to get a point out.

"I'd prefer IP banning after first offences (if IP means that it prevents them from ever joining here again with the same internet account, but I don't know)"

It doesn't even work.

"Everyone here is typing whatever they post, and, so far, every keyboard I've seen has had a backspace button, so common cence says that if a person takes the time to fill out their username and password, type something here, and click reply, they meant to break whatever rule they happen to break and deserve to be banned."

I was about to be banned for stating my opinion. Why would I backspace an opinion?

"See there, I typed every swear word I know, but nobody can see it or tell there was anyhing there."

They would only care if it was shown anyway. You could probably make love to yourself and no one would know.

"I say thumbs up to strike system."

Heck no.

"I suppose I'll discuss some of the more serious issues."

I think we all know what they are.

"Brother who commonly posts here: agrees with me in slight, thinks Trainman has some good points."

Trainman has all good points.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2004, 10:06:49 PM »
"I was about to be banned for stating my opinion. Why would I backspace an opinion?"

~No, you were about ready to be banned for THESE reasons:

"1. No swearing.

- I dont swear. The closest I get is heck, crap, or the basic words that aren't censored."

~That's still swearing, which is breaking the rules, no?

"2. No flame wars.

- Yeah, obviously I do this, but if you to blame me for this, you should also blame Meowrik and Sapphira because they get in the flame war, so don't blame it all on me. I can't get banned for this if a member and an admin is doing it as well."

~Arguments are different than flame wars. Flame wars are blatant insults, slander and bashing. To my awareness, I have never done this. I DEFEND what I state--and with truth and logic.

4. No advertising web sites, unless you are including it as your source of information.

- I had done this in General Chat (topic got deleted after I put some HTML in the topic title to make the topic noticible), but there were a few other members posting their sites in General Chat, so I did it too. No one seemed to care.

~Constantly referencing it to other people--beyond the thread to "recruit" members (and discussing it with those members), which I don't think is seen as "advertising"--IS breaking the rule, like "go check out my site! [link]!" You've done that MANY times.

On top of that, you've spammed the forums, another rule, and taught the "secret" to a banned person, whom you've also encouraged to destroy the forums.

That's 4 RULES you've REPEATEDLY broken, not to mention several other bannable offenses. Merely stating your opinion is not what's going against you. It's the other 6 continuous rule breaking that IS.

--------------------

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2004, 10:40:23 PM »
Why is everyone quoting other people?  Pretty soon we're going to have to put "work cited" sections in our posts.

''Are spirits delicious?''
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2004, 10:43:39 PM »
 Though I shouldn't have to tell you this, quoting the statement to which you're directly referring to eliminates confusion.

Granted it can look a little messy, sometimes, but when used, it can be quite effective in expressing your views precisely.

Print