Print

Author Topic: TMK @ E3  (Read 74286 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2005, 10:31:30 PM »
I used Chupperson.

I need to get WarioWare: Touched! and Feel the Magic XY/XX.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2005, 06:46:24 PM »
So you think that WarioWare is the best game series to debut since, say, Mario Kart or Mario Party? That's quite something. Never having seen more than Internet footage of any of the WW games, I can only wonder why this is. They don't look or sound all that fun, to be honest, but I hear nothing but good things about them. Needless to say, I can't wait for my DS and my copy of Touched! to arrive so I can try it out for myself.

Man, you seem to have tried every major game and technology release. You're the man to come to with questions, then, I guess. If you don't mind, I'm curious to know this: How's multiplayer Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with GCN-GBA linking?

Oh, also, do you know why the DS doesn't support either GBA multiplayer or pre-Advance GB games?

Then I shall make like one who recognizes good decision-making when he sees it and further the reaches of Watoad. ~_^

The box art for Feel the Magic: XY/XX turns me off. And the way NP talks about it.

I called the hotel today to ask if their free Internet is wireless and whether there are any hookups on the back of their TVs (for game consoles, DVD players, etc.), but I just got put on infinite hold. So I'll call again during the week sometime.

Why "e3"??

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2005, 07:34:33 PM »
>How's multiplayer Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with GCN-GBA linking?

It's pretty good.  To really get into the game you have to play it multiplayer (2 is enough unlike Four Swords Adventures, though you need 4 to have all of the maps, etc.) and you absolutely have to play for a few hours... the game takes off very slowly and I think this puts a lot of people off prematurely.  One problem is that there aren't very many levels-- you just play the same levels over and over on increasing difficulty.  Also the story line doesn't really progress until the end of the game and it's actually quite possible to bypass most of it and not have a clue what the game was about at all.  The biggest annoyance is the chalice confinement... they either shouldn't have included that, or made the area wider.

> Oh, also, do you know why the DS doesn't support either GBA multiplayer or pre-Advance GB games?

Absolutely no good reason unless it was to force people to keep using/buy the GBA.  I've taken the thing apart and there was tons of space to implement whatever they wanted.  GB support (emulated) could have easily been implemented on a system of this power, so it wouldn't have even cost them anything in hardware.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 2/19/2005 5:36:20 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2005, 08:41:56 PM »
I didn't like FF:CC, but I only played a few hours in single player, then a few more hours in multiplayer.  I hated the Chalice (sic?).

I also think that the DS lacks some GBA abilities because Nintendo didn't want it to replace the GBA line.  Since they didn't emulate GBC/GB games, I hope they have remakes of games like Link's Awakening, and Super Mario Land 2.

I like WarioWare.  My favorite so far is the GCN multiplayer version.  I completed everything in it.  I wish Touched! for the DS had multiplayer.

I also like Feel the Magic, but it doesn't have the replay value of a WarioWare game.  I like the style and story of Feel the Magic better than WarioWare (except 9 and 18 volt).
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2005, 02:17:23 AM »
How's multiplayer Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with GCN-GBA linking?

The only experience I have with FF:CC is one 4-player playthrough beating the game but not 100%ing it, so to speak. It was one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've ever had. Co-op is always fun, but this is mad phreak co-op, with crazy spell fusion antics, insane boss fight action, scrambling to get your ghost to someone with a Pheonix Down equipped before they die, screaming "HEAL ME HEAL ME!", waiting endless hours for people to shop, running off in the wrong direction with the chalice, madly scrambling to change items within your menu while being pounded on by baddies as your partners get slaughtered, racing at UNBELIEVABLE speeds in the Blazin' Caravans minigame (and I don't mean blazin' speed), GBA SP batteries dying in the middle of a huge boss fight so that we had to pause and let them charge for a few hours while walking the dog, and other miscellaneous madness. Basically, a good game.

This was right after we four played through The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, which was even better. It definitely makes better use of the GBA aspect, too. Here's the text from a post one of my best friends (and current roommate) made about that wonderful summer of '04. It has a few more details about this stuff, and many unrelated details.

Man, you seem to have tried every major game and technology release.

Basically, except for XBox. But my PC experience makes up for that. I also have experience with most of the obscure stuff, too, because between all the hommies, we have a lot of random junk like CD-i, NeoGeo Pocket, Jaguar, DreamCast (R.I.P.) etc.

Oh, also, do you know why the DS doesn't support either GBA multiplayer or pre-Advance GB games?

What MB said. :(

The box art for Feel the Magic: XY/XX turns me off. And the way NP talks about it.

It's a sweet love story. Nothing else. (Er, besides that one fire level but I'll forget about that). And I thought NP loved it. It was on the top of their Choice list or whatever until WarioWare: Touched! came out.

I like WarioWare. My favorite so far is the GCN multiplayer version. I completed everything in it. I wish Touched! for the DS had multiplayer.

It does! I have had some mad matches of Pong Ping!

I also like Feel the Magic, but it doesn't have the replay value of a WarioWare game. I like the style and story of Feel the Magic better than WarioWare (except 9 and 18 volt).

Have you beaten Hell difficulty? Gotten all the outfits? I haven't yet, but plan to try soon. We really need a Feel the Magic and WarioWare: Touched! records thread, but I'm too lazy to maintain one at the moment.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2005, 02:19:38 AM »
If you have enough players, is Four Swords Adventures even more enjoyable than Crystal Chronicles? The idea of multiplayer gaming with good use of GCN-GBA linking has always intrigued me, but I've never had the opportunity to try it. But I guess when I get a chance to play multiplayer DS games, it'll be the same sort of thing since it will also involve two screens.

Wow, you even took it apart. I'm impressed, MEGAߥTE.

More than anything I'm glad that the DS has single-player GBA support, so I guess I can't complain. I was just hoping to get a copy of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe at some point so that I could get a better look at Mario's roots, now that I'm like 12 years older than I was when I had SMB. But I might never have had the chance to get that game, anyway.

Going back to FF:CC, something I'd still like to get is its soundtrack. Some people hate it, others love it, and I would like to give myself the chance to be one of the latter. But I have enough music as it is, so I can't complain about that, either. ;)

Why "e3"??

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2005, 02:21:14 AM »
Two-minute gap alert!! I must now read some serious Lizard Dude post material. I may have to wait until later to reply, though.

Why "e3"??

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »
Addenum: I don't get why you're scared of the Feel the Magic XY/XX boxart. It's one of the best and most stylish boxarts to make it to America. The last boxart I can think of that was that cool is Katamari Damacy.

The whole game of FtM just oozes iPod commercial-esque style.

I <3 style in this day and age when too many games strive for pointless "realism", when that tends to make your game actually look less "realistic". Imagine if all painters only used realism. Blech.

Realism != realistic

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2005, 08:26:22 AM »
I like Four Swords much better than Crytal Chronicals.  If I come to e3 with you guys I will bring 4 swords, a GCN, and 2 GBASPs.  <- Wow.  That was on topic.

I have Ping Pong in my Wario Wario: Touched! and am glad that put in at least some multiplayer, but I was refering to WarioWare multiplayer like in the GCN version.  Not a simple minigame.

I haven't complete hard mode in Feel the Magic, but have all the rabbits and nearly all the stars.  While I agree that Feel the Magic has a fairly high replay, it is not nearly as high as WarioWare's random microgames.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2005, 02:00:46 PM »
Yeah, I'll admit I was hoping for more multiplayer, too. But they stayed with the format of the original. If the Revolution actually does have touch-screen controllers, there will be a multiplayer version for sure.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »
"I was just hoping to get a copy of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe at some point so that I could get a better look at Mario's roots, now that I'm like 12 years older than I was when I had SMB."

SMBDX is the only GBC game I have, and I LOVE it. I fully intend on bringing it to E3 (well, b/c I'm bringing ALL my GB/C/A games anyway). While you can't keep it (:P), I'd gladly let you use it while in LA.

If someone(s) could bring MP5 and 6, I'd really appreciate it. (Those are the two I don't have, and I want to play them--especially since it'd be multiplayer ^_^.)

--------------------
Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2005, 06:14:12 PM »
I just thought of something. If there weren't enough tickets, would "you" still want to go just to meet everybody? Or maybe people could swap tickets to get in on different days so more people could see the spectacle?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »
"You"?

I don't think we can swap tickets.

But in the radically messed up situation of me not having a ticket, I'd come to meet everybody anyway.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2005, 10:56:19 PM »
> If you have enough players, is Four Swords Adventures even more enjoyable than Crystal Chronicles?

Yes.  FSA has the main adventure, minigames, and battle mode, so there's lots to do.  My FS+ has Trackers too...  It's more fun in general, but the two games are quite fun in their own ways.  FSA makes better use of the button controls and secondary screens, but you should eventually get both.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Yes, NP loved Feel the Magic. That's fine. What I think isn't so great is that whereas NP used to be about the cleanest magazine in existence, it is now obsessed with using the letters "s," "e," and "x" in the same word as frequently as possible, and Feel the Magic is one of its prime targets for doing this. And that, my friend, turns me off.

You may not realize it yet, but I am very disgusted by the s&#101;x appeal. Feel the Magic's box art feels like an example of it to me, however stylized it may be.

I also appreciate style. The Wind Waker is the best game I've ever played. That game has some style, wouldn't you say?

It'd be cool if Luigison could bring his GCN because it's not looking like I'll be able to bring down any consoles myself. Just games and controllers (if either is needed).

Thank you, Sapph! ;)

I've been thinking of this very thing for some time now, Lizard, but I never decided to actually bring it up. So I'm glad that you have.

My main reason for wanting to be a part of this expedition, as I've said, is to finally meet you all. So I personally would be willing to release up to three of my E3 days to another person if it means getting him or her to join the group. Since so much time will be spent at the show, I really do think that it'd be much better for everyone to go there together, but I'd rather skip some or all of the convention than skip meeting an entire person.

If what Chup says is true, and tickets can't be swapped, then my suggestion to M&szlig; and Deezer is to go ahead and give my ticket to someone else if there are too few. The show is important to me, but not like you guys are. Does that make sense?

I was confused by "you," also, but then I realized that Lizard was suggesting that actually he could be the one without a ticket, since he's lower down in the unfortunate but necessary list of priority.

Giving both CC and FSA a run through in LA sounds like a good idea to me, then. ;)

Why "e3"??

Print