Print

Author Topic: Revolution controller revealed!  (Read 30398 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick, Senior Director of Marketing for Nintendo Europe: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded.

So there's that option - but even while it's inserted into the classic-style shell, the freehand controller will still be able to sense positioning and so on, so there are more options too.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
See, problem I have with that is that, for games that don't use an analog stick, using the controller can be really dissociative. I mean, I could see myself holding the thing sideways and having to learn how to control the character with 90 degree rotation... unless there's a way in the games to determine which arrow is "up" on the control pad.

That said, I like the idea of holding the Analog in one hand while the buttons go in the other -- Although I;m somewhat worried about there being just the two buttons on the bottom. The button DO seem a bit "spread out" for a veritcal controller.

I'll just have to wait and see if any of these compaints are founded.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 01:56:47 PM »
NO NO NO NO NO! That is the worst controller ever! Nintendo has gone WAY overboard about this invovation thing. The DS touch panel was awesome, but this...no. Even the more conventional-shaped controller that was debunked disappointed me. That thing was this sleek controller device, but it lacked an analog stick, D-Pad and shoulder buttons, instead making 95% of the controller a big fat wierd touch-panel (no graphics, just a touch panel) and had the A, B, X and Y buttons shoved all the way at the top, nigh-unreachable. If either of these controllers are chosen, I simply cannot own a console that has such a controller.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 03:04:58 PM »
Problems:

1) I can hardly operate a regular remote control without looking at it.
2) How will I reach the buttons on the bottom?
3) Has anyone here tried the Goldeneye two controller option? It is quite difficult, since you can bablance the ontrol stck with you other hand, to equilize pressure.

Otherwise, Ninteno wont have to worry about anyone copying it.

Johnny thought he was a chemist, but dosen''t any more,
What he thought was H2O was H2SO4!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 04:08:15 PM »
I think the company that made the Gamecube controller can't fail at making any other controller.  It probably works out, but without actually having it myself, I wouldn't know.

I am still so amazed by the Gamecube controller, no matter how long I've had it.  It's like they dipped someone's hand into liquid controller and let it dry with the imprint of human hands around it.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »
How I think it works is that since the control stick is an attachment, that while it's attached, you hold the control stick with your left hand, and in your right hand the other part, while using the control stick you can only use the top four controls but without the control stick attachment you hold it with both hands so, you can reach all the buttons only without the control stick attachment.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 04:45:34 PM »
Insane Steve, you have a point, but after I thought about it, they just aren't wanting to do what everyone else does and jam & cludder as many buttons, etc. as they can on top. I'd enjoy the spacing, but.. two Z buttons?! OMG.

Oh, and for the folks that are saying "I CAN'T HOLD TWO THINGS AT ONCE" remember what MEGAߥTE said: "It's like a shell with a hole at the top to slot the [right hand controller]."  Stop whining.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 04:48:24 PM »
I was initially thinking both hands on that thing (oh, my, how uncomfortable), but I urge all people to watch the trailer before you post, to get a good idea of how it's used in demos.  You can see how much more awesome it is that way.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 05:01:27 PM »
PS3 and XBox 360 will have their own version of this control method within several years. Mark my words.

I bte yuo cna rdae tihs by lkooign at it.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 05:08:57 PM »
Marked. Where do you think Windows came from?

. . . okay, sorry. No reviving of that debate. Not that I have anything more to say, anyway . . .

"Dang, TEM lives in a low-quality area." ~ Lizard Dude
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 05:23:17 PM »
This seems like the perfect time and place to say that Lizard Dude's words were marked when he said he'd someday meet a Fungi Forumer in person.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 05:34:36 PM »
Do you remember where or when he said that? Just curious.

"Dang, TEM lives in a low-quality area." ~ Lizard Dude
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 05:35:50 PM »
I personally think it's a really cool looking controller and can see it work with the Revolution.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 06:17:52 PM »
I believe it was in "I think it's about time ... we saw each other".

(EDIT: Not "belive".)

Edited by - Markio on 9/16/2005 5:19:22 PM

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 06:42:49 PM »
Oh, and for the folks that are saying "I CAN'T HOLD TWO THINGS AT ONCE" remember what MEGAߥTE said: "It's like a shell with a hole at the top to slot the [right hand controller]." Stop whining.

A. That was Mß quoting someone else.

B. The quote was referring to something else.

Edited by - Eclipsed Moon on 9/16/2005 6:28:17 PM

Print