Print

Author Topic: Ads  (Read 4473 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
Until a few days ago, I had no problems using this board. Now I get these ads that won't go away all the time. They say "Planet Network" on them and clicking the bypass button won't get rid of them! It took me about ten tries once!

It only happens sometimes, but it's annoying. Any way to get around this?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »
When you come to a PLanet Netowrk Ad page, go back a page instead of the Bybass button. Then the Ad will be gone when you try to access that page again.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »
The ads are broken or something. MegaByte showed us a way to remove them, but you kind of need to go into a command line, and that's something Windows and Mac OS X users can do. I am not sure if an OS 9 counterpart of the OS X terminal exists.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:44:40 AM »
For a long time those ads were down. Before that they used to come very rarely. Now it seems that they come almost once every 10 pageviews.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 06:04:14 AM »
In the last version of the boards, I believe, Mß stuck it to THE MAN and disabled ads for all users.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 06:30:32 AM »
They say "Planet Network" on them and clicking the bypass button won't get rid of them!

I know of these ads, but I can usually go through them by clicking the "Continue to [page on the forums]."
The only real ad problem I know of is the ads that always appear at the top of the page. These ads, for a long time, were giving me Spyware- related items. I have since then blocked the Spyware received from the ads (although they are still present). Why are these ads even present on the forums? Is it funding for the site, a hack, or just to laugh at?
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 02:58:29 PM »
It's a result of TMK's hosting chain of command. TMK is hosted by Classic Gaming, which is part of GameSpy's Planet Network.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »
The best part of this topic is that when I clicked it, an ad page poped up. On the top of the page, it said "Continue to Ads." Forgetting that was the topic name I was like "oh jeez."
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 07:16:52 AM »
I remember the bad ad conflict that was going on the winter before the board update...  It was pure torture compared to this, you know?  Ads like... I don't know, ever time you clicked on a thread, or message board.  It was horrible.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 08:47:01 PM »
Really?  I don't seem to recall... Maybe that was before my time.  Anyhow, I was just noticing the ads yesterday.  My network connection varies depending on atmospheric conditions, the moon's alignment, etc... and I noticed the IGN ads really take a long time to load--at least in proportion to the actual pages.  I may look into an ad-blocking solution.  Maybe.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:29:09 PM »
IGN's ads are rather slow. If you don't mind a mostly white Fungi Forums, the easiest way to get rid of them is to change your forum theme.

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »
I don't have a clue of what I'm dong on here half of the time.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
IGN's ads are rather slow. If you don't mind a mostly white Fungi Forums, the easiest way to get rid of them is to change your forum theme.
Woah.  Avatars.

Print