Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Discusses Revolution with EGN  (Read 4214 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: July 23, 2005, 10:51:20 PM »
By Jorge Ba-oh (jb)
23.7.2005 10:47
In a recent edition of Electronics Gaming Monthly (EGM), Shigeru Miyamoto was quizzed on the company's upcoming home console Revolution, and the different features that it's said to contain.

Although nothing too new was discussed, it makes an interesting read. Courtesy to the "somethingisgoingon" blog for the EGM information.

EGM: Some people are saying Nintendo has given up trying to lead technologically and is focused on innovation.

SM: I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3. Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals. But we think there are more important things for now than making the system work with a high-definition television. The majority of people won't be playing our system with an HDTV, (though) with the Revolution, 480p resolution will be standard. We are not making light of graphics and technology - we are trying to make the best-balanced machine that will appeal to the most people.

EGM: Why make the DVD player optional with Revolution? And how will it work - is it an attachment or a remote or what?

SM: The majority of households already own a DVD player or two. We don't want them to spend extra money just to have a console which happens to have DVD capability. And the DVD player isn't going to be an attachment; it’s going to go inside the machine so you won't even (be able to) tell the difference.

EGM: You've promised Wi-Fi for the Revolution but will it also have a standard Ethernet port?

SM: (No, it) doesn't have an Ethernet port. However, through the USB port, it’s possible to have Ethernet with an adapter. Considering where the machine will be placed in the household, we think it would be difficult for people to route the typical Ethernet line to it. Also, We're considering connecting the DS with the Revolution via Wi-Fi.

EGM: Moving on to other games--we know Smash Bros. is coming to the Revolution, but what about DS?

SM: We're thinking about it.

EGM: What about Luigi's Mansion? Is that series over, or will we ever see another?

SM: The director often says, "Make another one! Make another one!" and I want to use Luigi again.

EGM: Any chance we'll see another Pikmin?

SM: Nothings set in stone yet, but the interface we're creating for the Revolution is well suited for Pikmin - I think it would be a good match. Not much I can say other than that.

EGM: Will we ever see anything more of Stage Debut? (a technology demo that allowed players to map their face on in-game characters)?

SM: Yeah, I want to do something with it.

EGM: Speaking of the virtual console, might older offline multiplayer games, like Mario Party, be altered so you could play them online with the Revolution?

SM: We know that we will offer the past games for sure. But we are discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario party playable online. So if our discussion goes well, and if the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, that's possible.

EGM: You've said the Revolution controller will be unique - do you worry about it alienating developers? Say Splinter Cell comes out for all the next-gen systems; might the Revolution controller be so different that it'd be tough to map the controls onto?

SM: Well, of course, the idea is that the Revolution will sell and sell and sell so it becomes the standard in the industry. (Smiles) However, at least for the launch period...we designed the controller so it can play any of the different conventional styles. After all, we are talking about it playing games from our past machines (ie the virtual console). So don't worry.

Source:  http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=4116
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »
Most people probably have EDTV so the purposed Revolution's 480p should bring DVD quality video games to them.  I also assume that the Revolution as well as the PS3 and Xbox 360 will work with the old stardard 525i (I think), but since the PS3 and 360 will support HDTV could that mean some games such as Resident Evil 5 could only be made for the HDTV console even if they are backwards compatible?

I have an HDTV and would like the Rev to be HD, but it appears it will not be.  I also alread have a DVD player, but will get the DVD version of the Rev for two reasons.  One, portability.  On the trip to E3 it would have been cool to put a DVD in the GCN to show my E3 footage since Watoad's laptop was usually being used.  Two, I hate my corrent DVD player.  It has very good progressive scan video, but is hard to use.  The 5 DVD changer   takes too long to get to the DVD I want and then too long to eject it.  The remote is also very weak and has to be pointed directly at the player.

Updated - Nintendo of America has stated RE5 may be announced for the Revolution when the system's details are revealed later this year and Capcom has confirmed the game will come to other systems (N Rev, PC, etc). Good news indeed!

Source:  http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=4106

Edited by - Luigison on 7/24/2005 1:04:03 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 04:15:46 PM »
!

Got Bird? –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:51:11 PM »
BTW, questions 1,2,3,8,9 were actually answered by Iwata, not Miyamoto.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 09:25:23 PM »
All I care about is SM128 coming out on GC.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
Mario 128 on the GameCube?

Eh.. I'm fairly certain it's already been said that it is in development for the Revolution.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:13:50 PM »
What exactly is Mario 128?  I've heard of it, but is it like other Mario games?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 02:28:37 PM »
 As far as I can remember, it's the "true sequel to Mario 64." A lot of people weren't happy with Mario Sunshine for whatever reasons.

Though, if it is, indeed, going to be released on the Revolution, I guess the "128" part of the title doesn't make much sense.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 07:52:24 PM »
I liked the SM 128 event game in SSB:M.  That was hilarious beyond describing.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 05:50:41 PM »
I think they should've released it on the GCN while they had the chance.It would've made more sense if they really wanted to make a sequel of a N64 game............

B33\ / \ /4R3!!!!!!!!! i 4m tr00ly l33t,50 ph33R M3H!!!! My sl<1llz r0x0rz!!!!!!! i 4m 700 b3h ph33R3D!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 08:34:44 PM »
Nintendo has to make Super Smash Bros. for the DS, maybe even the GBA, because all I own right now are portable systems.
I'm a horrible person.

Print