Print

Author Topic: Mario Fan-Game. Now Hiring.  (Read 8832 times)

« on: August 16, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
First off, I don't like talking about a project that hasn't even been started yet so I have a game-test demo already made. However I do not know how to upload it to the net so I am currently researching that. Anyway, yes, I have begun a project to make a decent Mario Fan game. The program I am using is Game Maker. The game is in the style of Mario World  i.e. its a platformer, however there is an "overworld" section that utilizes the Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga aspect. So far, I have already programmed Two Sections of the Overworld, artwork and everything. I must give credit to BACON and ROGULTGOT for the Mario Sprites (and Nintendo of course), and any further sprites I use, the artists will be credited at the end of the game. Moving on, if you have some expertise in spriting, Paint Shop in all of its many forms, and MIDI composing, I would like to request your help. I can program the game and do level layouts, excetera, but I do need the following...

Backgrounds and foregrounds - I would prefer to keep this game as original as possible, so I would like to have some original level designs.

Enemies and Bosses - I may use enemies from previous games, but the bosses will be as original as possible.

Music - I would like to have an original soundtrack for this game. It will need to be in MIDI format. More than one person can compose MIDIs, but they must be of a decent quality. A basic knowledge of musical layout is required(like reading notes, something I sadly cannot do) and most of all creativity.

I will post more info on the game further down, such as plot and details. But first I want to see if anyone is interested. Remember, this game has already been started, so there is some completion of this game already. If you are interested in contributing, please post. Thank you.    
We''re on the moon? You mean, the one that''s up in the sky?
~ Peach having a "blond moment" in Paper Mario:TYD

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:25:40 PM »
I am quite familiar with Game Maker. So, I'd be willing to give some advice, but I am far too busy to begin another Game Maker game.

Push Button...

Receive Bacon! ®

Edited by - Koopaslaya on 8/16/2005 3:27:11 PM

Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 04:54:12 PM »
I have had some experience making Mario fan-games... but my program of choice is MMF.

Nonetheless, I might be able to help with ideas, feedback, and the like.

While I can sorta do graphics, I don't particularly enjoy the process that much.  Plus, I'm kinda through with devoting such time to making fan-games.

Nonetheless, I do enjoy fangames and I'll help if I'm able, I just won't take an active part in this one.

Go Moon!

Go Moon!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 05:01:04 PM »
I have pretty good skills with that, I also know the users you are giving thanks to.

Signature.......
I'm a horrible person.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 PM »
I have absolutely no experience with anything computer-related.  I know very little HTML and forum-hacking.  I will inevitably be beaten knowledge-wise of how to do things on a computer.

In other words, I can't help you, but don't get mad at the ignorant if they can't help it.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 06:11:31 PM »
Thanks. Um, can anyone tell me where I can upload my demo file to the net? I dont have a web page of my own but I do know that there are sites out there that will host your file for a limited amount of time. Alright, here is the main overview of the game. First off, my part is programmer, so I'm doing all of the tough stuff. Now, the whole game takes place in a scenario very much like Mario 64. By this I mean the jumping into paintings idea. The Overworld or the Peach's Castle equiv. is a mysterious museum that I have dubbed the Star Gallery. Now as for the story, I'll just give a brief overview.
Peach finds a mysterious painting in the castle attic one day and finds out that it belonged to a famous painter. She finds out that this painter had a gallery which has been closed for years since his death. She decides to reopen it for the sake of culture and amusement and plans to hold a grand opening party to which Mario and co. are invited. Elsewhere, Bowser recieves a mysterious package from an apparent "art entrepeneur". With the package is a letter that gives insight on the Star Gallery. Within the paintings of the gallery there are stars that activate the portals to the painting worlds. Hidden among these worlds are four pieces of a painting. The author says that if Bowser can locate all four pieces, he will grant him anything he desires, namely Princess Peach. Inside the box is a magic paintbrush called the Star Brush. Long story short, Bowser uses this to turn Mario's friends into works of art. Mario of course goes on the mission to save his friends by collecting each star in a painting world (there is one per world). There is also a "greater evil" thrown into the story but I won't get into that now.
     This is the game setup. Within the gallery there are several floors. On each of these floors there are a certain number of paintings (numbers range). When Mario beats each painting on that floor, he can fight the floor boss and rescue one of his friends (such as Toad, Yoshi, Luigi ect.) then he can move on to the next floor. Each level is in the style of Mario World, a side scroller/ platformer. At the end you get a star and the level is complete. The story is played out through scenes of dialogue which is mostly about the four pieces of the so-called sealed painting. This is purely to provide some "Thousand Year Door" intrigue and suspense. Most likely, the levels won't be too long and they will probably end up being 10 in totel. My demo shows the first two rooms of the Star Gallery and contains what one of the paintings will look like, however upon entering it, it will just take you back to the start of the demo. The Overworld and it backgrounds and paintings I am doing by myself. I will also be doing the level layouts meaning the order of tiles and enemies. Basically the programing itself. What I need is for people to do backgrounds and foregrounds. Foregrounds will basically consist of "tiles" or what Mario will walk on i.e. the ground. Foreground may also include some things like trees, rocks, bushes, just cool graphics. I will mostly be using enemy sprites from Mario World and may use some from other games that fit in to the level design including custom sprites. Feel free to submit any ideas or suggestions for enemies. Bosses though, will be original. These however can be modled after other Mario enemies. I would prefer one person do all of the backgrounds and foregrounds just so it looks like the same person did it. But what I need the most are original MIDI compositions. Any one who has done MIDIs before or at least has a basic knowledge of them can submit a piece and will be givin credit. More than one person can do this too. However, they have to be of a decent quality. In my opinion, its the music that makes the game. They can be totally new compositions, Remixed Mario tracks (but these have to fit the level if they are Remixed) or you can have a little bit of both. By this I mean, your own song that all of a sudden starts to go into the underground theme of SMB1.
   I'm going to post specific level requirements in my next post. Like I said, keep posting, I want this game to work out, cuz I have seen alot of fan game ideas that go down the tube.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 06:27:05 PM »
Just to clarify, I am not looking for game programmers, I am doing that myself. What I need are artists basically, not programmers. Here are the level ideas I have so far. Notice that these are temporary names.

Forest World,
Desert World,
Snow World,
Water World,
Sky World,
Underground World,
Haunted World,
Mountain World,
Fire World,
Space World ,
Boss Battles

They are the generic Mario levels for the most part. I have actually done the painting for the forest world.

http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=forestpainting5jt.png

Anyway, I'll post some more level info later. Right now I am mostly looking for MIDI composers, so if you know of any who are interested in doing a mario fan game, tell me.

Edited by - Maxtream on 8/16/2005 6:13:24 PM

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »
If you're looking to host your game, you can always try: YouSendIt.

As long as it's under 1 gig.

Edited by - Black Mage on 8/16/2005 5:48:25 PM

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 07:03:57 PM »
Yup. And you can now download it here for up to 7 days. Its only the demo.

http://s60.yousendit.com/d.php?id=3Q6NJV9CV8YSG3DEK1KN78ZEOW

So, check it out. Remember its nothing special. Once you enter the painting you are looped back to the beggining.

Edited by - Maxtream on 8/16/2005 6:14:08 PM

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 07:23:14 PM »
I suggest that you...

1) Change the walking script.
2) Find an Artist.
3.5)Fix the walking script.
3) I love the shooting stars in the windows... but I think that you should remove them from the first room.
4) Find some good music.
5) PLEASE CHNAGE THE WALKING SCRIPT.
6) It looks like you used the editor in Game Maker to draw the stuff. Dare I say this... dump it into paint, or better yet, photoshop.

Overall, I like the feel of the game so far, it's pretty neat. It has a long way to go, for instance, my game, I started in 8th grade. I am still working on it. I went through MANY revisions and I am finally putting togther the final draft. But I would have to say, for the FIRST draf, it's decent.

Push Button...
Receive Bacon! ®
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 08:35:47 PM »
Don't worry, its only for the overworld. The levels themselves are side views. I know, I hate the way Mario moves in the overworld, but game maker is always like that. At least for me. But yeah, I'm hoping someone will contribute some backgrounds and music. Spread the word folks.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 10:00:53 PM »
I draw a lot (quite well, I like to think). If you're still looking for an artist, I'd be interested in helping out.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 11:35:10 PM »
Well dang, making Mario fangames must be a fad now XD. Sounds really good, when I have more internetage to work with I will download it (I mean, seriously, this this took over 3 seconds to load the General Mario Chat page. I have seen it go in under a second before).

Btw I am making a Mario fan game too with GameMaker XD.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 09:07:46 AM »
Ah, crud, competition. Well someone say "I" if they are willing to do backgrounds. But I really need MIDI composers. Guess they are a rare breed.
Oh, I have been working on some level names. Tell me what you think...

Forest Level: Green Green Forest
 Snow Level: Icecold Island
 Water Level: Deep Blue Aqualand
 Desert Level: Hot Hot Oasis
 Underground Level: Subteranian Cavern
 Mountain Level: Skyhigh Summit
 Sky Level: Rainbow Range
 Fire Level: Fireburn Volcano
 Haunted Level: Spooky Scarey Castle
 Space Level: Starry Spaceride

Don't know what I'm going to call the last level (the one with the final boss). My priority now is finding someone who can do music.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »
Again. YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE OVERWORLD WALKING CODE!!!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print