Print

Author Topic: Mario Superstar Baseball out in USA  (Read 8212 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: August 29, 2005, 12:13:23 PM »
Mario Superstar Baseball swings onto store shelves across North America today. Nintendo's official site for the game is up at MarioBaseball.com, with more content coming soon.

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »
Yes, yes, yes, yes! This is what I've been waiting for! Nothing beats a couple of plumbers playin' Baseball all day long.

I have the body of a God! Unfortunately, it''s Buddah.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 07:08:51 PM »
Well, the game has gotten rather lack luster reviews.

However, I'm not one to trust many sites with how they rate games, and almost always disagree.

So, if anyone does buy the game, be sure to let us know what you think of it. I know some of you out there will love it, and automatically deem it the best baseball game out there simply because it's a Mario game, but I know others out there have good tastes, and can judge a game objectively.

It's from the latter I'd rather hear from.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 08:13:03 PM »
I played the demo at a local Blockbuster, and I loved it. I can't just sit here! I gotta go get it right now!!!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:04:30 PM »
I am totally pumped for this. I love baseball, it will be like a dream come true when I play Mario and baseball in the SAME game!

Johnny thought he was a chemist, but dosen''t any more,
What he thought was H2O was H2SO4!
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 09:47:20 PM »
I've been playing the game tonight, and find it acceptable.  It has some control problems, though:
-fielding is difficult; your players will execute special moves and dives seemingly at random, or the distance from them to the ball's landing space is the cause for certain moves to be executed, and the space difference between such categorizations is negligible
-the batting system is strange; you use a meter to judge your power in practice mode, yet this meter is not present during the game--futhermore, the game uses a bizarre swing charging system that not only leaves me unsure as to when to best start charging but also can't be charged up once the ball is in the air
-pitching is not very deep at all--you can throw slow, medium, fast, or star, the last of which seems to only work well for the team captains, as most ordinary players have star pitches that really don't do anything but make stars fly about and the ball go slow...the game also uses the "RBI Baseball" viewpoint, as opposed to the "Bases Loaded" viewpoit of behind the pitcher (as is commonly seen on TV), which means no high or low pitches, just left and right
-the star point system biases strongly toward those characters with good pitching skills, as team captains use less stars than their teammates
-daisy and peach don't look as good as they did in golf and tennis--they're wearing approximately the same outfit (peach is now in shorts, though) but the art isn't as strong as before--forgot to see if daisy still has her potbelly
-baserunning is counterintuitive (at least to me), as you push the direction on the D-pad of the base you want the runner to go TO, instead of the base he is on
-I swear to Jehovah I push "up" on the control pad (second base) and the fielder throws to third.  Several times.  The standard GC controller is too chunky for this game, but luckily I have a Hori SNES style pad for this game

I think that's about it.  Other than all this, it's charming and a decent way to kill a few hours.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »
Wow. I don't know, though... I don't earn a lot of money, so the little that I have is going toward my REV. And SSB3, don't forget!

You''re not the boss of me, Carson Daly! Get off me! -Andy Milonakis
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:44:34 PM »
Well how are you earning money? I mow lawns it helps me alot, except I do it alone most of the time.

Signature.......

Edited by - bigmariofan1.0 on 8/31/2005 5:45:54 PM
I'm a horrible person.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:19:08 PM »
I enjoyed E3's video with the organ star music. I like cried I was so happy to hear that ahhahaha.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 03:50:49 PM »
I bought the game. Five words: Best Mario sports game ever! I've never played such an awesome game. Even beats Mario Tennis. And for sure, it beats Mario Golf. Anyone else have it?

Edited by - PaperLuigi on 9/2/2005 3:42:41 PM

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
I don't think I've heard of Mario Glolf. Is that a new game only available in Sri Lanka right now?

Oh, gah. I remember saying that they'd make Mario Baseball and Soccer four years ago or so. My cousin says they'll make Mario Skate one of these days. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Edited by - Trainman on 9/2/2005 3:11:44 PM

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 04:44:09 PM »
There is a game called Mario Glolf. I played it myself.

Edited by - PaperLuigi on 9/3/2005 11:10:01 AM

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 01:30:01 AM »
If you wouldn't have gone in depth it would've been hilarious, but no...

Anyway, I'm like still crying about the organ.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
Is that better, Trainman?

Edited by - PaperLuigi on 9/3/2005 11:10:32 AM

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »
This game is great.

Print