Print

Author Topic: The Shark  (Read 2716 times)

« on: September 17, 2005, 08:59:21 PM »
When did your favorite show go down hill.  What moment made you say "Wow, this sucks now", and never watch it again?  If you didn't guess from the title, When did it 'Jump The Shark'?  Give your oppinions on what shows tried to grab some ratings fast, but backfired and, in turn, doomed the show.

To kick start the brains, I will name a few that I can recall, and when the speedboat started.

Pokémon-just after the Kanto league, to maybe the middle of the Orange Island.  They've been running on fumes for years now.

That 70's show-When they graduated, maybe before, but not much earlier.

Friends-by time Rachel was pregnant.

The Simpsons-around the 10th-11th season, it started to waver, and the 16th really was no good.  Luckily, lately, the episodes have returned to pretty good quality.

Brady Bunch-when they brought in cousin Oliver.

Happy Days-Need I say it?  When Richie left, of course!

There are obviously more, when you think back to the amount of shows that have been cancelled over the years.  I hope people will respond to this topic, considering it hurt, trying to remember exact times when the shows went downhill (My mind went blank when I tried to remember).

edit: An E for Vid

Fungi Forums-Because it''s the stupid, pointless thing to do!

Edited by - CoconutMikeNIke on 9/18/2005 9:44:39 AM
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 09:01:54 PM »
The Simpsons - When I stopped laughing about 4 or 5 years ago.

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
I started watching X-Files re-runs recently.  I'd never seen much of the show when it was new.  Anyway, I noticed that in some of the later episodes, Mulder is replaced by another agent.  All of those episodes so far have sucked.

Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 09:28:08 PM »
The best Simpson episdoes were from 1991 to 2001.  In the first year, I didn't quite like the animation or stories or music so much; in the last two years I don't like the new stories or animation, mostly the stories.  2001 had the best episodes.

“Of all the people I know, it is expected that Watoad will say ‘cheese’ first.”
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 10:04:48 PM »
The 4400 only got worse when it started turning more "soap-opera" than "sci-fi."

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 09:58:06 AM »
Once again:

AN APOSTROPHE IS NOT A MAKESHIFT DIACRITIC ACCENT.

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine. But, you are right, Pokémon did go down hill. Right when Brock left and after Ash lost the big tournament thing you normally find at the end of the Red and Blue games.

And I agree with most of the posts here. The Simpsons isn't funny anymore, etc.

Oh, and Friends was always crappy. No need to say when it started to get crappy.

I have my reasons for hating that show. Don't tell me I hate it for no reason. And it's not just the fact that the jokes on the show sucked.

"Then why else do you hate it, Vid?"

It was a factor in Family Guy getting cancelled. If you do not recall, Family Guy's final timeslot before getting cancelled was Thursdays at 8 PM, after being given irregular timeslots and always being changed. Family Guy was hit heavily in ratings that way, thus having FOX cancel the show. Of course, there are other reasons why it got cancelled, it being too offensive and edgy, the censors getting a little too worried, etc.

But, it's back, and I'm happy, and it hasn't "jumped the shark", as you put it.

Edited by - Vidgmchtr on 9/18/2005 9:07:22 AM

"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »
s club 7 series: after paul left.
i hate how they "re-made" the tmnt, & took out shredder, krang, bebop & rocksteady. those guys really made the original tmnt cartoon interesting.
all that: around mid-2002.
amanda show: about fall 2003.
lizzie mcguire: it just got old after awhile.

ducky go down de hole!
ducky go down de hole!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 03:40:21 PM »
Of course an apostrophe is a makeshift diacritic mark.  If it were a real diacritic mark, it wouldn't be makeshift, would it?  I don't even know/care how to, I just leave it out and say "Pokemon".  They should make a Pokemon series with all new characters, and the gym leaders they face are the old characters, like Brock and Misty; and Ash is like the most powerful or last gym leader you have to face.  And Gary would be like the guy who always says, "Yo!  Champ in making!", and at the end, it turns out he was really using you so he could beat his old rival, Ash!  So he does some evil thing like steal something or something and he flees and goes into a forbidden cave-esque area where you have to find and defeat him once and for all.  That would be very cool.

Edited by - Markio on 9/18/2005 2:46:13 PM

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
Happy-days: When Fonzie literally jumped a shark.
Three's company: When Chrissy left (but I guess it "un-jumped" when Janet came on).
The Andy Griffith show: When Barney left.
M*A*S*H: Some time after Radar left (although I loved a few episodes here and there, and the finale was great).

By the way, CoconutMikeandIke, your sig is awesome.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 08:16:04 PM »
I used to love Rugrats when I was younger, but when they started adding new and unnecessary characters, making episodes that lacked plot and creating that IDIOTIC spin-off, I stopped watching it. Simpsons I stopped after the recent episodes. The jokes were awful.

"My spirit burns like the sun and I shall dry you like a prune."

Edited by - nintendoexpert89 on 9/18/2005 7:16:52 PM

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 12:44:58 PM »
alt + 130 = é

Time slowed and Reality bent.
But on and on the Eggman went.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 01:34:13 PM »
The X-Files: They changed the storylines so that Moulder is now evil and is replaced by the guy who played the Terminator 1000 in Terminator 2. Now it's just a big fat pile of suck.

Pokemon: I never really liked the cartoon, but when they started adding and subtracting the main characters (even Ash, Misty and what's-his-name), it just got retarded.

The Simpsons: I've always been a diehard Simpsons fan, taping almost every episode I watch, but at some point the episodes got too politically-oriented and, as a result, unfunny. I can't pinpoint when, but for quite a while, I basically rejected the Simpsons until about a year ago (when I discovered all my old tapes).

Happy Days: I never really "watched" that show, more like "looked" at it, but when Fonzie jumped over that shark, I laughed and laughed, then never ever watched it again.

-------------------------------------
"How are you gentlemen !! All your base are belong to us !! You are on the way to destruction. You have no chance to survive make your time. HA HA HA HA ...."
-Cats, Zero Wing (Genesis)
every

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 05:37:28 PM »
TEM, I've never gotten the alt key and 130 combination to work. Am I missing something?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
Me neither, Suffix.  TEM, fix us!

Print