Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1695896 times)

« Reply #6450 on: February 24, 2010, 10:50:43 PM »
Final Fantasy III DS has a three-file save system. My first, "good" file had approximately 83 hours of progress logged into it. My second file, used for backup purposes, had 74 hours. My thrid file contained a recently-restarted quest in which I had last made exactly 14 minutes' progress. Having grown tired of grinding for the game's hidden superboss in my first file, I decided to make some headway in my File Three game. I soon chose to save my game as any prudent player would do.

You all should know what happens next.

Expecting the "which file do you want to overwrite?" cursor to automatically appear over the third file slot, I saved. And overwrote my first file. And lost over nine hours' worth of tedious, mind-numbingly monotonous training.

:'D
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6451 on: February 24, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »
over nine hours' worth of tedious, mind-numbingly monotonous training.
Maybe you should reevaluate your choice of games.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #6452 on: February 25, 2010, 12:47:12 AM »
Or, y'know, go play MapleStory or something.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #6453 on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
Final Fantasy III DS has a three-file save system. My first, "good" file had approximately 83 hours of progress logged into it. My second file, used for backup purposes, had 74 hours. My thrid file contained a recently-restarted quest in which I had last made exactly 14 minutes' progress. Having grown tired of grinding for the game's hidden superboss in my first file, I decided to make some headway in my File Three game. I soon chose to save my game as any prudent player would do.

You all should know what happens next.

Expecting the "which file do you want to overwrite?" cursor to automatically appear over the third file slot, I saved. And overwrote my first file. And lost over nine hours' worth of tedious, mind-numbingly monotonous training.

:'D

83 hours?  I've only put about 12 into mine.  This game's gonna take forever to beat!
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6454 on: February 25, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure none of the older Final Fantasys take more than about 40 hours to beat.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6455 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:43 PM »
Even counting sidequests, minigames, and gratuitous level-grinding (should any of these factors apply to Final Fantasy)?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6456 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
There were no sidequests or minigames before FFVI. They are 100% grinds through a totally linear plot, seeking to provide entertainment in three ways:

Exploring (except there's only ever one way to progress in the end)

Seeing What Happens Next (potentially valid, if you like the plots)

Your Characters Become More Powerful (an empty joy, you yourself have not become more skilled at anything)

Note: WeeGee was grinding to beat something that was not in the original FFIII.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6457 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
JRPGs are sort of like shmups in that one of the major reasons to play them is to watch numbers go up.

The difference is that most shmups require skill to make the numbers go up, whereas JRPGs just require patience.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6458 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:57 PM »
Final Fantasy also just consists of epically cool stuff happening.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6459 on: February 25, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
Oh, not that again, Warp. Listen: You're not convincing anyone who enjoys RPGs to begin with, so you needn't bother bringing it up.

On that note, I now overwrite all three files every time I save, and have vowed never to start a new game in FFIII.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6460 on: February 25, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
I seem to recall being out on a Pirate ship, while holding A and tapping B in the waters of Corneria.

Works for Ice Sleds too. Just sayin'.

« Reply #6461 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
I knew Black Mage was going to prove me wrong somehow (especially because I still haven't played FFV).

But does a minigame really count if it's hidden?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6462 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
Corneria is from FF1 though.
That was a joke.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #6463 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:37 AM »
Corneria is also from Star Fox. *shot*

Speaking of save files, it irks me that both M&L:PiT and M&L:BIS have only 2 save files. I feel guilty about having to delete my boyfriend's low-level PiT file just so I can the play game again.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #6464 on: February 26, 2010, 03:18:34 AM »
Corneria is from FF1 though.
Oh I know, I was just parenthetically stating my fears of making a post about the FF series without having played one of them.

Little did I suspect that the petard which would hoist me was a SECRET CODE I had forgotten about.

Print