Poll

Which prize is better?

Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!
Mario Hat
Print

Author Topic: The Platinum Problem  (Read 23725 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
As BP can attest, I have never Punched-Out, and though I am an avid YTMND fan I still cannot fairly judge the awesomeness of a fight against the coach in question. However, elaborating upon a point LD touched on, you (for the sole purpose of a metallurgical rating or not) have to spend hundreds of dollars fattening Nintendo's wallet to earn top-tier Club N status, so what's it going to be: A probable contender for the world's shortest game or the iconic hat of said company/this forum's beloved mustachioed mascot?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
For $800, I want something I'm gonna use more than once. A single level of a game isn't going to cut it.

Now, if I had the money to buy the hat on eBay later, then I'd have to go with the game, but I've got about $60,000 in student loans with a whole nother year to go.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Dude, the point isn't "Which is worth more?" because NEITHER is worth $800. It boils down to, after being a stupidly loyal Nintendo customer, whether you want something you can exprience or something you can look like an idiot wearing. Anyone who buys 800 smackers worth of [dukar] so they can choose between a crappy plush hat or a standalone demo is a loser of epic proportions.
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
Or maybe a MONSTER NERD?

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 09:12:47 PM »
Wearing a Mario hat in public is most certainly an experience, thankyouverymuch.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
A true stupidly loyal Nintendo fan would never think a Mario hat is dorky.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 03:42:46 PM »
Stop saying $800. Platinum is 600 coins, which you can get with $500 or less, depending what you buy.

(Yeah, I know, that makes it a lot better.)

I also take umbrage at "stupidly loyal Nintendo customer". I got it easily and am in no way "loyal" to Nintendo. You just have to spend lots of money on gaming.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 03:56:49 PM »
You have to spend lots of money on new official Nintendo products; it's not like buying a second-hand 360 controller or a Resident Evil 5 strategy guide will get you Nintendo points. So, yeah, you have to be stupidly loyal.
every

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 04:04:17 PM »
Do you know what loyal means? It means dedicated to something at the exclusion of other things. Buying Nintendo products does not prevent someone from buying other companies' products. You don't have to accept some kind of contract when you enter Club Nintendo codes.

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »
At any rate, a truly dedicated Nintendo fan would wear it with the utmost pride.

EDIT: By the way, you needn't spend another penny on Nintendo products if you're willing to forfeit your moral convictions long enough to follow this guy's example.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:31:40 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »
Even if I hadn't spent a dime on Nintendo games this year I could have easily made platinum because of all the games that transferred over.  I still have a huge backlog of survey's, but I am loyal Nintendo fan so that's no surprise.  I wouldn't say I'm stupidly loyal though.  I also a lot of PlayStation games. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:02:02 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
Why is someone "stupid" if they're incredibly loyal to the only video game company that matters?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 04:55:36 PM »
Do you know what loyal means? It means dedicated to something at the exclusion of other things. Buying Nintendo products does not prevent someone from buying other companies' products. You don't have to accept some kind of contract when you enter Club Nintendo codes.

Do you know what stupidly loyal means? It means buying any hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise specifically to get an object that should, for all intents and purposes, come in a cereal box or something. That was the point I was making (generally speaking, though, there is no point in tryng to be "loyal" to a multi-billion dollar entertainment empire).

On the other hand, if $500 worth of Nintendo merchandise is only a portion of your average video game spending habits, you're just a plain old rich *******.
every

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 05:23:21 PM »
I think it's more a matter of priority than being stupid and/or rich.  When I was in high school and junior college I had two jobs.  One was for near minimum wage at a diesel shop the other doing contract janitorial service for the same company.  Most of my money then went to a truck payment, music, apparel, and consumables.  You might say I wasted a lot, but I had different priorities back then.  I bought a $400 pair of Tony Lama's for example.  I still have most of nearly 300 CDs purchased during those years.  I also had a lot of magazine subscriptions. 

Today, on the other hand, I'll wear a $30 pair of New Balances for five to 10 years and buy very little music.  I use an Amazon.com credit card for almost all of my bills and that nets me a free $50 to $75 in certificates to spend on their site with free shipping every month.  Those free certificates alone would get me platinum every year. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »
I got to get me an amazon.com credit card, that sounds super mega pimp.

Print