Print

Author Topic: Lack of moderation in the chatroom  (Read 16219 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:49:55 PM »
It seems like lately we've had a bunch of users in #tmk - some of which are FF members, though that has no bearing on anything - that do nothing but annoy everyone else. As I post this, there's someone in there advertising a channel on another server, spamming, flaming, complaining about us not talking about Mario in there - and now talking about how he's high (and there's precedent for a ban based on that alone). There are five people in there with the power to kick and ban - and all of them are idling.

I see two solutions to this:

1. The current ops and half-ops being more active. I know this isn't really possible - Chupperson left, Fifth is busy with game programming, Sapphira is obsessed with The Sims 2, Deezer is doing whatever Deezer does, Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does...Bird Person isn't around often due to comics, gaming, and his connection (he has a worse satellite connection than I do), Suffix was deregistered for inactivity, and n-fani lives in a radically different timezone than the rest of us. Still, it's either this or...

2. Appointing more half-ops. There are a few channel regulars that are there during the ten hours or so of regular activity and pay attention to stuff like this going on and are competent enough to deal with this.

I'd really rather not take the route of bobman, TEM, and (until recently) SolidShroom and leave the place, and I'd also rather not pull a Mr. Melee and ignore people (story: he had Chupperson - a full op - on ignore, and had to keep putting him on his ignore list because it wouldn't stick). When we're not dealing with retards, it's pretty great - especially on those occasions when Super Caterina! visits - and I'd rather not leave that behind because of a few idiots.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »
I'm around all the time except when I'm at school or asleep or somewhere else (when I'm arting, my screen looks like this so I can sort of pay attention) and I just don't indicate I'm gone anymore. And there are loads of times I'd love to kickban people but am too soft to do it without a real reason.

I'm for the promotion of trustworthy regulars, sure.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
Tcha! I've been maintaining my registration pretty well now, but I haven't bothered to ask to be registered with M_B again. Perhaps it's about time, eh?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
There's always going to be members in the chatroom who annoy others. It was that way when I frequented, and I'm sure it's that way now.

It sounds like it's gotten a little lax from what you're saying, but so has moderation around here. Is that really a bad thing?

Then again, I don't know to what extent it currently is. So maybe I'm just chest-thumping here.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »
Oh, how I miss the chatroom. Unfortunately, there's just no time for it.

I appeal to Black Mage's comments as listed above as suggestion. I'm in his boat.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:30:30 PM »
"left"

Well maybe that is a pretty good word for it. There are many more rewarding uses of my time.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
I need to go there sometime...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »
I think that any chatroom in which you get kicked for quoting the old Team Rocket motto has too much moderation.

Or an extremely annoyed moderator whose name rhymes with "Curd Person"...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:57:06 AM »
Quote from: #tmk rules
[12:49:13] -Deezer- 1) No swearing.
[12:49:13] -Deezer- 2) No spamming/flooding.
[12:49:13] -Deezer- 3) No posting links to inappropriate content.
[12:49:13] -Deezer- 4) No impersonating forum users or chatroom users.
[12:49:13] -Deezer- 5) Do not harass your fellow chatters.
[12:49:13] -Deezer- And, yes, acting like an idiot will get you banned.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
Sounds like Turtlekid1 blasted off again.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »
I'm not sure I understand.  I've said and done stupider things on #tmk and no one has noticed/cared enough to kick me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:01:52 PM »
I should join. I can tolerate a good sum of people.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »
I suppose it's because there's a rule against acting like an idiot. But being an idiot?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:52 PM »
Exactly! So the solution is to become a real idiot. I've been fine ever since.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 05:41:12 AM »
After I learned the trade of idiocy the Bird Person Way (TM), I became a much more successful member here and on the chatroom... that I don't visit anymore.
I'm a horrible person.

Print