Portland, OR
0 (0%)
Raleigh-Durham, NC
0 (0%)
San Jose, CA
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Print

Author Topic: Google Fiber's Next City?  (Read 23568 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

Since they already have cities in UT and TX and don't think they'll do them again.  My reasoning is that they appear to be spreading the love in red states and it may seem less ideological to only go to a nearby city such as Salt Lake City or San Antonio.  This is also why I don't think they'll go to Portland or San Jose, but I could be wrong and they may decide to "go home" having completed cities in three red states.  I could also be wrong if they are now moving away from ideology and to a more concrete business plan.  If that is the case then Salt Lake City and San Antonio might make more sense financially. 

My feeling is that they may move further East, but stay in red states.  Any of the four are possible, but my guess is the next city will be either Nashville or Atlanta.  I'm not counting Charlotte and Raleigh since they are in a more blue state. 

I could be wrong since they specified Raleigh-Durham instead of simply stating Raleigh, and this also gives them more suburbs like their Kansas City operation. 

Let's look at other tech companies...

Wow!  Georgia gets 9% of page views from a fully electric car's browser.  Atlanta may be Google's next move.  It also is fairly red, has spread, and has a very big and connected airport to spread the word.  Hmm.

I'm not counting out Nashville though.  There's a very big music scene there.  Does Google have any music media interests and plan an internet music service like Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon? 

What do you think? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »
Does Google have any music media interests and plan an internet music service like Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon?
The closest thing is Google Play Music which is more like iTunes for Android.

I wonder if they may go to more gaming-heavy states due to demand for faster download speeds. (Steam, Nintendo eShop, whatever they have on the other systems)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
I had a private bet with myself on how long it would take for iTunes to be mentionded.  First reply.  I won. 

I considered Google Play and even have an account, but opted for Amazon due to their AutoRip service and free/cheap cloud.  Google has now greatly reduced their cloud prices, but I've already stored hundreds of albums with Amazon.  I have since been intrigued by Neil Young's Pono Player for fidelity, but can't afford it. 

Regardless, I clicked your link and saw that Google had three of my favorite artists recommended (Cinderella, Poison, and Lillian Axe) and are also recommending, "Going to Hell' like Amazon.  Hmm.  I guess both have their tentacles in my brain. 

So, what do you consider the "gaming-heavy states"? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »
Google Play Music has been allowing music uploads since 2011 (up to 20,000 songs free).

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
It looks like I made two mistakes that caused me to not fully consider Google Play.  First, my Google Cloud was full and I had to start paying for space for our family pictures.  Second, I associated Google Play more with games than music.  The free 20,000 song uploads is very attractive, but so was that fact than most of my CD purchases were already "uploaded" (AutoRip) to my Amazon Cloud player. 

I was going to vote for Atlanta, but in light of my new knowledge of Google Play I'm changing to Nashville.  Since I've disabled changing votes that is my (first and) final answer as far as the poll goes. 

Now, how do I get Google Play on my Kindle Fire (another reason I went with Amazon for music)? 

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
You could try rooting it and installing vanilla Android, or you could get the Play Store APK and install it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
There are some interesting maps and information at Gizmodo regarding internet speeds, income, and population that may hep decide Google Fiber's next city. 

Edit:  Corrected Fubar -> Fiber.  That's a whole other possibly NSFW discussion. 

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »
Hooray for living in the northeast, where Google has no plans of ever going.

*waves flag*
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
Based on resent news:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-announce-fiber-expansion-in-four-cities-1422322192

I'm guessing Charlotte, N.C.will be next.  If so, I lost with my previous bet. 

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
The official Google blog verifies that Google Fiber is coming to Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham. 

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/google-fiber-new-metro-areas.html

So, the previous news I linked above and my beat are both correct. 

Is anyone here in or know someone in a current or future Google Fiber area? 

Print