Print

Author Topic: A simple question about Yoshi  (Read 31025 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 01:33:14 AM »
I like the 'nose plug' theory. I agree with Fifth, but I still like the 'nose plug' theory.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 05:07:12 AM »
Maybe as the Yoshi gets older, an egg pops out from his butt and the saddle is inside.

Keep signatures to a single line to prevent being banned.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2005, 03:55:57 PM »
Easy metaphor:

Some humans are born with hair. Some humans are not. Most, if not all, humans eventually gain hair as they get older. Hair is removable.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 03:46:37 AM »
Ummmm... I reckon it came with the baby plus Mario needs something to hold on.

Wow Mario & Friends save the Mushroom Kingdom and what do they get.....A CAKE!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 11:08:29 PM »
...I still think it's a shell.

Got Bird? –Bird Person<(^v^)>
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 05:52:20 AM »
but if it's a shell then why does'nt Yoshi have it in any other games? or does he?

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2005, 05:39:31 AM »
How about this idea...

Maybe it is a sattle and people put them on when riding them? Maybe in Yoshi's story were wearing a saddle because people were riding them

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
Tezuka: Shigeru Miyamoto said he wanted Mario to ride a horse! I think he likes horses. (laughs) When we were making Super Mario Bros. 3, he had drawn a picture of Mario on a horse, and hung it on a wall near where he used to sit. I would look at that and think, "I think he wants Mario to ride something." When we started making Super Mario World, we were working with the concept of a dinosaur land, so I had Hino do art for a kind of reptile.

Hino: The first keyword was horse, so I imagined something rather large and first drew up a creature like a large lizard.

Tezuka: It was like a crocodile. (laughs)

Tezuka: Yeah. It felt out of place to have a reptile suddenly appear in Mario's world, so we went back and talked about how maybe it shouldn't be like a crocodile.

Hino: Tezuka had done a rough sketch and it was cute and pretty good, so I polished up Yoshi into his current form based on that.

Tezuka: That happened relatively quickly. I kind of forced the design though, saying, "It's related to turtles." (laughs)

Sao: That's why, instead of a saddle, what's on Yoshi's back is...

Nogami: A shell. Even after I joined the company, Tezuka kept insisting that it was a shell. (laughs)

https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/interview-super-mario-world

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
Yoshi's saddle being homologous to Koopas' shells exapted for another use is clever, and something I suspected for years. It's not unprecedented either, with Spikes and Clubbas obviously being part of the Koopa family tree but whose shells are entirely vestigial.

Makes me wonder if my hypothesis that Bowser+his Clown Car are supposed to be equivalent to Lakitu+his cloud is correct after all...

Also, I wonder if Croco is what Yoshi was original supposed to be.

Print