Print

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Mario?  (Read 18615 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2002, 01:02:02 AM »
Precisely.
However, I don't think he believes us. :-p

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2002, 05:40:25 PM »
Who's "he"?

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #3:

Girl: Hey, we`re all calling this guy up and yelling at him. You want to try?
Frostbite: Why would I do that?
Girl: He`s really mean. He calls people crackers.
Frostbite: So? Why should I care?
Girl: You`d want to be called an hors d`oeuvre?
Frostbite: If you think crackers are hors d`oeuvres, you must be poor.
Girl: Ew!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2002, 10:21:58 PM »
Avengah.
Hate to say it, but he's starting to get on my nerves.

That was a joke.

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2002, 09:44:43 AM »
It's meant to be a light-hearted discussion - sorry if I'm annoying you. I kind of wanted an adult discussion about the way things are pronounced etc. I'm not some kid trying to prove I'm better than you lot - I'm 21.

To this day I still don't understand why the situation is as it is - it seems most Americans pronounce Mario using the a vowel in car, while normal English people pronounce it using the a vowel in cat. Simply a country-to-country difference, it would seem, but I don't know why.

I think it may be due to the quality of the a - in normal English, the a in cat is pretty much a pure a, while in American it is more of a diphthong (ae) which is nothing like the Italian.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2002, 08:52:36 PM »
"Normal English people?!"
THAT'S AN INSULT TO "NORMAL" AMERICAN PEOPLE!
No, I don't say cat "keat"...
For Pete's sake, go get the sound file I posted the link to a few pages back and listen to that! Then, say what you mean after you have the example!
Yes, it is pronounced like "the Italian".
Go listen to my file, and find out!!
(Ok, I'm not mad, alright?)

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/7/2002 10:41:25 AM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2002, 11:39:21 AM »
Oh, one other thing, there's not "normal English", either. There's British English and American English...
But quite frankly, I can't understand WHY you would pronounce it the way you do. (Just as you can't understand why I say it the way I do...) I've never heard it said like that, but whatever. You know, it's just different, and there's really no "why" about it. There's no point in trying to figure out why YOU say it differently. (See, I can use your argument against you as well as you can use it on me.)

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2002, 10:24:51 PM »
And my final post:
The way it's said in the games is how you're supposed to say it.
One is his name, the other is not.
Sure, there might be people that say it the way you do, but they're not talking about Mario the Nintendo character. They're talking about somebody else.
You're representing the minority here, do you realize that? In Japan, Italy, and most of America, it's pronounced the way he says it in the game. That's a lot more people than you and the people you know who say it "your way."
Can't you just understand that it's different, and accept that? You have some obscure way of saying Mario, and I guess that's fine, but it's not the way you say Mario Mario's name. That's all there is to it.
And my final comment:
Either your ego is too big or your opinion of your country is too high. (And that observation is not based solely on this topic; I remember you saying that Americans are like a different type of British people, which is a complete falsehood... that, among other things.)
Goodbye.

That was a joke.

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2002, 01:04:23 PM »
Maybe it's Mario(Charles Martinet pronouncation) Mario(British pronouciation).

Ma-hri-o Marry-o.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #4:

Mom: I hear we’re going to war with Iraq.
Frostbite: So what? Iraq’s like a mile across. I could run across Iraq in ten minutes!
Sister: No Danny, that’s Iran!
[Both laugh]
Frostbite: Oh, I gotta write that down!
Sister: Yeah!
Frostbite: I ran across Iraq!
[Both laugh]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2002, 11:53:11 PM »
Umm.... that's just plain weird.
And I severely doubt it too.
In fact, I can prove that wrong... you know how they say "Mario Brothers!" when you select Mario Bros. in a SMA game?

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/9/2002 10:47:16 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2002, 02:57:50 PM »
Oh dear - looks like I've upset someone. Not intentionally.

You have made a mistake, though - most English people DO pronounce it the way I do. Agreed, it is not how the Italians pronounce it, it is not how it is pronounced in the games (although ten years ago it was never pronounced in the games), but it's how we pronounce it! Sorry, didn't intend to insult you.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2002, 10:04:20 PM »
Well, it's not your pronunciation that makes me mad, of course, it's just your attitude. No offense, but the way you phrased all that stuff was just... wrong.
Okay then, all you British people have that obscure way to say it.
One other thing... for almost 12 years, Charles Martinet has been the voice of Mario. Therefore, it has been pronounced like that for actually more than 10 years.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/10/2002 9:09:19 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2002, 12:43:13 AM »
I always preferred the voices in the cartoons. When I think of the characters' voices, I think of the voices in the cartoons. I also respect the history - when Princess Toadstool was called Princess Toadstool in England - not that awful Jap name Peach, which has much less dignity and character.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2002, 05:30:47 AM »
Just to clarify - by normal English I simply meant English as spoken in the home and mother land, England. ENGLish, ENGLand, hence Normal English. No disrespect intended.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by - avengah on 10/12/2002 4:31:32 AM
Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2002, 01:25:23 AM »
Well fine, but England isn't the "mother country" anymore, have you realized? There's people from all over the place here, not just from England. And don't say they all speak English, for you know that to be false.
The final thing: You obviously have a different perspective than most Mario fans...
Most people say that Mario's game voice is his TRUE voice, and Peach has always been her real name, and it suits her a lot better, too. Or what, you'd like to be called a name with some rather derogatory meanings?

That was a joke.

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2002, 02:02:09 PM »
No, there was a topic on GameFAQs a while ago, started in the NES Super Mario Bros. 3 board (which obviously contains people as old as myself, probably older, who played the games when they were first out), which asked whether people preferred Peach or Toadstool.

The winner was Princess Toadstool - most people thought that suited her better. Peach was the original Japanese name, but not the original English name, and it is wrong for them to change it like this.

Where does it say the game voices are the true voices? Where do the cartoons come into all of this?

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Print