Print

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Mario?  (Read 18637 times)

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2002, 02:15:03 PM »
I tried to edit that but it wouldn't let me for some reason. What I mean is that us veterans are USED to the name Princess Toadstool, and they suddenly changed it to Peach in English language release games. This sounded cheap and tacky, and wasn't what we were used to, and didn't seem right. Nintendo should have at least used Princess Peach Toadstool, rather than try to pretend that the name Toadstool never existed.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2002, 03:58:50 PM »
I say 'Mario' using the 'ar' in father.

n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2002, 09:20:19 PM »
Yes, well, we've already covered that.
Hey Avengah, ever played Super Mario 64?!
At the end of PEACH's letter to Mario, it's clearly signed: "Princess Toadstool -- Peach".
But cheap and tacky? How so? It's a perfectly good name, as good as any...
Also, she was never meant to be called Toadstool in the first place. The NOA localization team thought it would fit better with the Mushroom Kingdom theme, but eventually Shiggy said "nuh-uh" and they started calling her by her real name.

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie
That was a joke.

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2002, 10:23:15 PM »
Yeah, I know all that - it was Nintendo's attempt to phase out Toadstool and bring in Peach, all at once. The English name was Princess Toadstool from SMB1, whether it was meant to be or not. The gorilla was meant to be called Monkey Kong but they spelt it wrong. So why didn't they change Donkey Kong back to what they originally intended?

To me, she will always be Princess Toadstool.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2002, 10:31:24 PM »
No, he was supposed to be Donkey Kong, and that messed up fax story was something someone made up.
Donkey - read: stubborn
Kong - read: monkey

Also, one thing I forgot to say last time was... the reason that Mario's real voice is the game voice is because Mario is a video game. Therefore, his voice in the games is the correct one.

None shall dispute my word!
That was a joke.

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2002, 09:13:10 PM »
Chupperson's right . . . it was Donkey Kong all along.  I love me some Snopes.com.  But avengah didn't mean that we pronounce cat "keat" . . . he said "ae," the dipthong sound, not "ea."  Don't ask me to explain a dipthong because I'm no linguistics expert and frankly I can't, no matter what my moochy roommate seems to think.

I don't really think avengah meant any offense or that his way was the one right way.  But avengah, try to expand your world view a little.  I only mean the comment about England being the "mother land" and that form of English being "normal."  It's not; it's the ORIGINAL form, but it's not any more NORMAL than American English or any other language.  Also, I hate when people make the mistake of suggesting that all Americans are of British stock.  There are people living in this country whose ancestors have never seen England.  I don't think they'd appreciate you assigning your country as their "mother."

Also, "Jap" is a slur.  Just sayin'.

That is all.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2002, 11:27:05 PM »
Yup, you're right all the way...
I wrote it "keat" because otherwise it would have looked like "Kate", at least to me.
And just clearin' one other thing up... the way avengah says "Mario" is not the original way, in this case.

None shall dispute my word!
Dede jxucc tajfiko mo neht!
That was a joke.

Print