Print

Author Topic: "So, all you do is play video games?"  (Read 31359 times)

« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »
Meh, my only reason for buying a 360 ever will be if Rare finally releases Killer Instinct 3. I loved the first two, and I'm still befuddled by how in the world they could've ever stopped making these awesome fighters.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »
The 360 hasn't got any fabulous games, except for Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion.

Actually, I liked Call of Duty 2.
-------------

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2006, 01:48:56 PM »
Meh, my only reason for buying a 360 ever will be if Rare finally releases Killer Instinct 3. I loved the first two, and I'm still befuddled by how in the world they could've ever stopped making these awesome fighters.
You mean because of the "SSSUUUUUUPPEEEERRR UUUULLLLLLLTRAAAAAA COOOOOMMMBBBOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" announcer? I love that announcer.
every

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »
I just read this incredibly long thread now, so I'll offer my take on it the best I can.

First off, the original question. I've never been asked this with one exception--late night at hotels. On a team trip or something where a bunch of guys go together, I always get a single room because of insomnia which would keep everyone else up late. (If you ever notice some of my posts come at 2:00 AM eastern time then you probably have found out I have sleeping problems). Anyway, for the past few years, I've taken my Game Cube with MLB 2004/2005 (depending on the year I went) and played baseball games at night to help me relax. I didn't want to take my laptop since it cost $1700 when I got it new in 2000 and the Game Cube was only $250 when you add the game in there too (I got the Game Cube in 2001 so I could play the then-new version of baseball).

Any time other than 11:00-2:00 AM on trips, nobody's ever asked me if I play too many video games. In fact, I often have been asked if I even own a system. I think it's because I don't talk about the games that much unless I'm talking about some baseball team I put together.

Second, the train collection issue. I actually have a wooden set of trains called "Brio" from Sweden. They used to sell them at a store called "Walden Kids" and I had a whole set when I was younger. Today I still get it out to put it under my Christmas tree. It's not one of those electric Lionel sets like my grandfather has, but it's unique. I'm not a serious train collector though I do have all the original boxes for my set. My grandfather and uncle, however, are Lionel collectors, though they don't go out of their way to get parts or anything. They just keep using the sets from when they were young every Christmas.

If you really are into trains, I suggest the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh. They have a room about half the size of a gymnasium with a huge model railroad village set up, complete with lighting and sound effects. It's a truly unique exhibit for anyone, train collector or not.

And finally, about buying new systems for a game. I wanted a Game Cube baseball game for the improvement in graphics. I've found they can actually improve the graphics over time with these games. The reason I bought the Nintendo system is because nobody ever made one for my iBook. However, I've grown to like the controls of the baseball game on the Nintendo. I probably won't be buying a next generation Nintendo (it's called the Wi now, right?) unless some really cool baseball game even better than MLB 2005 comes out for it. But since E.A. Sports quit developing baseball games, I've been disappointed in not having a new one to look forward to every now and then.

I also see posts about chess and board games. I'm more a card game player myself, but I have chess on my computer and I like to play it before I have to take a huge math or science exam so I can get my brain going. Of course, I also usually have AIM in the background and will chat during my games. This might explain why I usually only win at chess 25% of the time against the computer.

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2006, 02:37:45 AM »
Dude, EA bites according to the internet. You should at least give Wii Sports a chance, since it probably has baseball on it (correct me if I'm wrong).

Glorb: I love the announcer too, but he's not my reason for my love of that game. The stage music rocked, some more than others. All the characters were incredibly unique, except for Jago and TJ Combo. They seemed too generic for me. And I freakin' loved when I used to get totally squashed by my opponent only to use a combobreaker every time they had me. Thank Norris for Cinder and Spinal.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2006, 09:43:59 AM »
This may seem like the wrong time, but here's something for you to read up on, AB:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Games

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2006, 02:05:08 PM »
The only people that have given me any trouble about my love of video games are a few people at school.  Though I don't think anything of it, since they're really dumb...18 years old in freshman classes dumb.  Other than that I either don't mention gaming, or have just have a quick discussion with some of my friends.  My parents used to play the NES, but that's about it.  Even though they don't play now, they've never had a problem with the games I play.  Every so often I'll talk about different systems with my father, since he hears about the X-box and PS2 from the people at his work, though we stick to the basic pros and cons of each system. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »
"So, all you do is play video games?"

If I got asked that, I'd say "Yep, and proooooouuuuuuuud of it!"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 03:48:50 PM by GiftedGirl »
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »
Heh. Never thought of that response. By the way, I'm very glad AbercrombieBaseball gave the train side of the issue; it was informative, and didn't feel like a rant at all.
every

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »
Chef--I found the article very interesting and definitely learned a few things. What amazes me is that the video game industry seems to parallel the music industry to a degree, having multiple genres, platforms (much like tapes, CD, MP3, records, etc), controversies, etc. If only the music industry would adopt a better rating system like the ones used by movies and software.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2006, 06:31:41 PM »
Ya got that right, AB. But video games are actually more closely wtched by watchdog groups as opposed to music and film due it being reletively new in comparison. There's been plenty of contoversy surrounding video games since the early ninties, and although it sorta died down a bit, it's still clearly there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversy

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:08 PM »
Again, another great read. A lot of this stuff brings back memories. I remember the Columbine deal and how they cited violent video games as a possible influence for the two boys. And I've definitely heard about Grand Theft Auto on the news.

Even those Mortal Combat arcade machines bring back memories. I stayed at a Holiday Inn in 1994 and there was one in the vending area, and my mom made a comment that she was shocked they'd put one of those things in a hotel. She then said she was happy her son played Math Blaster on the computer :-)

I agree that they watch games more closely. I think not only is it the newness of the material (music has been around forever as have movies) but also the age group. Most video gamers are 30 and under, with a good majority falling in the 10-24 range. Because the country places such a huge emphasis on the youth (they need someone to replace all those baby boomers, after all) they are always looking out for them and they think that games are the number one cause, from what I can see. Just a thought, though.

Any more good reads would be appreciated, Chef! Haven't felt that good today so I've been in a lot and it''s been good just to sit back and read!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2006, 10:26:54 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

I figured I'd give you one about the ultimate company, AB. It's got quite a history.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
One detail you should always, always remember... This man is Jack Thompson.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »
Fortunately, no one really takes that guy seriously anymore.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print