Print

Author Topic: Games that irritates you because of long loading times  (Read 5998 times)

« on: August 22, 2010, 04:41:02 AM »
Hello everyone. I am sure that there are games that you absolutely hate because of long loading times. This is the place where you can reveal these games. As for me, I think that absolutely worst game because of the loading times is Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex for the PS2.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:30 AM »
Inb4 Sonic 06

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Haha I saw this thread and immediately thought of Wrath of Cortex and how I used to play it simultaneously with my game boy because of the god awful load times.

The Simpson's: Road Rage has pretty bad loading times. My dad always used to love playing that game, but he'd get really impatient.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »
Tsugunai: Atonement would be an interesting game to play if it wasn't so God[darn]ed slow, but that's just poor programming rather than loading times.

The PS2 port of Ibara has some pretty bad loading times, as do a few of the games in Taito Legends 2. I don't hate either, though, because they're excellent games. So I guess I can't really think of any examples that properly fit this thread.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »
ModNation Racers on PS3.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was just loading the level, but it loads an intro video for the level before you can skip forward and then loads the level. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:32 AM »
I'm going to get flack of the unholy variety for saying this, but I love Sonic Shuffle. It's stupid, pointless and a blatant rip-off of Mario Party, but I love it. Mainly because I find it fun (and hilarious) to see what kind of cruelty karma is capable of dishing out.

Oh but the loading times! They are not of this world. A game has the potential to go on for half a day because of them.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »
Spyro: Enter the Dragon had loading screens for its loading screens.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »
Oh yeah, Wrath of Cortex! That was a way awesome game, and also the first one I ever had for PS2. I loved that game so much, the load times didn't really bother me too much.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »
Burnout 3. It was taking so long to get to the intro screen, I concluded the game CD was broken and sent it back.

Turok: Evolution. Everything takes a long time to load. Intro screens should never take any time to load, since you'll only be on an intro screen for a few seconds.

Half-Life 2, naturally. But also because the default behavior at startup is to load some complex pretty-looking scene for the intro background. Give me a break, I'll only be on that intro for a few seconds.

Quake. Say no more.

Metroid Prime. That door's never gonna open when you need it to.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
Metroid Prime (GCN version) and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are otherwise-good games that are lessened in awesomeness by loading times. 

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly are bad games that are worsened in awfulness by loading times.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
They're not really bad games at the core. They're just really sub-par installments of two good-but-unchanging platform series.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
Multiple listings for the doors in Metroid Prime? You people have serious ADD issues. Play some PSP if you want to see load times. :)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
(Or the PSX version of Chrono Trigger.)

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »
Lego Island 2 for the PC. It takes forever just to load a cut scene or mini-game.
This bridge - extends from Nebraska to CANADA!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
What about loud load times? On some Wii games--Guitar Hero 5 and SSBB come readily to mind--the disc drive (or whatever) whirrs so powerfully, I'm almost concerned for the system.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly was good too! But yeah, now that I recall, both of those games had super long load times. But they sure didn't bother me!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 05:55:15 AM »
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly was good too!
You must have played the GCN version.  I've heard that one was a little better all around, but there's no way anyone could think that about the PS2 version unless...

Of course!

You never played the good Spyro games, did you?

SSBB
It's even more accentuated with Brawl+, with which you're supposed to wait for the noise to stop at the character select screen before you start the match.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
No, I played the PS2 version, and yes it was my first Spyro game.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
The best thing about early Spyro was the soundtrack. Definitely the best musical thing Stewart Copeland was ever part of.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 04:45:17 PM »
The best thing about early Spyro was the soundtrack. Definitely the best musical thing Stewart Copeland was ever part of.
I don't think there was a clear "best thing" about the Insomniac Spyro titles.  Of course, each one had its own flavor.  The first definitely had one of the most unique and magical atmospheres I've ever experienced in a game (this may be nostalgia talking), whereas the second lost the atmosphere but polished the gameplay and aesthetics.  The third had this incredibly heavy and bittersweet feeling of conclusion and resolution.  I still have yet to play/watch a concluding installment of any series with the same sense of finality.  Yeah, the music was good.  But so were the gameplay and level design and almost everything about the series.

[/mini-review]

Print