Print

Author Topic: Help! I Slept Through a Generation  (Read 12778 times)

« on: April 30, 2007, 02:58:20 AM »
I dropped out of gaming almost completely when I went off to college, and I haven't bought a Mario game since I got "Paper Mario" on its release date.  Now I'm graduated and have the spare time to return to videoland, but I'm totally overwhelmed.  There are countless new games, and rereleases of old games in too many forms.  So I would love to know what the folks here are the essential Mario games for the Cube, D.S., and G.B.A.  Or rather, what a fan of the good ol' 8-64 bit Mario games would love.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Sqrt2

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:25:01 AM »
For starters I'd go for Super Mario Sunshine and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
AA fanboy and proud!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 05:50:58 AM »
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 06:07:20 AM »
I love the title for this topic.

Anyway, welcome back to the wonderful world of video games. Things have changed. Nintendo was in third place in the console wars, but is starting to make a comeback with it’s newest console, the Wii. Here’s the best Mario titles for the GCN, DS and GBA (Though, I don’t recommend buying a Gamecube, as it has been succeeded by the Nintendo Wii, which is a lot better)

GCN:
Super Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!

DS:
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64 DS (Though, you shouldn’t really get it if you have the original, since it’s not much different)
Mario Kart DS
Mario and Luigi: Partners in time.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the minis

Wii (if you can find one):
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy (coming later this year)

GBA:
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Any of the games in the Super Mario Adveance remake series

That’s about it. I didn’t really recommend anything for the GBA as the only Mario platformers for it are all re-makes (unless you count Mario vs. Donkey Kong. That was an original game, but it was light on platforming, and heavy on puzzles). If you’re really curious, you could check out the whole site at www.themushroomkingdom.net (if you haven’t checked already) for a list of all Mario games on all systems.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »
Isn't Super Princess Peach supposed to be in the Nintendo DS list since it's a platformer too? Also, the man needs to know about a certain spin-off called Super Mario Strikers (Mario Smash Football for PAL users) for the Nintendo GameCube, as well as the up-coming sequel Mario Strikers Charged (tentative title for PAL users) for the Wii.

C'mon! The man also needs to know about other Mario-related titles such as Super Smash Bros. Melee on the GameCube, and the up-coming Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii! Not to mention the coming soon Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for both the Wii and the Nintendo DS!

(Keep in mind that the Wii is backward compatible with GameCube software!)
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 06:58:16 AM »
Dude...Cube it. Get the Gamecube and try out Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Party 5 (Just my opinion, I like it more than the rest of them.), Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Mario Kart: Double Dash ^_^.

And for the Wii, definantly (Mozilla doesn't recognize the word "definantly) get Super Smash Bros. Brawl when it comes out and (now to mention releases) get Super Paper Mario! But I don't even have a wii so...
* Pt_Peach shrugs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:02:51 AM by Pt_Peach »
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
definantly (Mozilla doesn't recognize the word "definantly)
That's because it's spelled "definitely."

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:28 PM »
That's because it's spelled "definitely."

...GOD I FEEL STUPID! That's why it wouldn't correct correctly. I dunno, I was just spelling it how I said the word...
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
I think the guy should just have a look at the site's game list and look at all the games released between Paper Mario and now.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 01:56:06 PM »
I saw this thread and decided to help out a bit. For one, Mega 2 missed out on all the games since Paper Mario, like the Exploding Barrels games.
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:01:09 PM »
If you’re really curious, you could check out the whole site at www.themushroomkingdom.net (if you haven’t checked already) for a list of all Mario games on all systems.

Read the topic, TC.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »
My link was more direct. >:P

And Glorb, this is not the time for personal running gags.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »
I've been to the list on the main site.  Just to clarify, I wasn't asking for a list of every Mario game made since 2001.  I want to know which are the absolutely essential, highly-recommended ones that I should run out and buy right now.  I'm mostly interested in adventure titles rather than puzzle games, sports games etc.  I'm hoping there's something out there with the feel of "Mario 64," "Mario R.P.G.," and the classic side-scrollers.

B.T.W. I probably won't be getting a Wii for quite a while, but I will probably be getting a free Cube from my friend who just bought a Wii.  An investment in a D.S. may also be in my future.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:07:53 PM by Mega 2 »
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:44:27 PM »
In that case, you're going to want the GBA game, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and also Paper Mario 2. You still should check out Super Smash Brothers Melee, though. Maybe rent it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
I like Super Princess Peach and New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Sunshine.
That was a joke.

Print