Print

Author Topic: Conker's Bad Fur Day ROM for Mac  (Read 22576 times)

« on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
Has anyone been able to play Conker's Bad Fur Day on an iBook G4 or any other pre-Intel Mac? I've downloaded at least four ROMs of the game, and I'm using Mupen64. Each time, the "For Mature Audiences Only" warning and Nintendo logo load fine, but after that I get nothing but random, glitched polygons and garbled noise. The only other N64 emulator that runs on the Mac is Sixtyforce, whose website flat out states that BFD doesn't work on that emulator. I've also tried the ROM in .n64, .v64 and .z64 formats, and none worked on Mupen64.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:29:39 AM »
Here's what you do:

Go buy a real N64.
Go buy a real copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:39:45 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »
Oh, uh... well, I know we have a rule against promoting ROMs around here, but does that also apply to helping other people with ROMs? I'd figure it would, but...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
The rule is specifically asking for or posting them or links to them. Talking about them isn't against the rules.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
Here's what you do:

Go buy a real N64.
Go buy a real copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Fixed.

I lol'd.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
God I love roms so much. I download them for every system. Personally, I don't own any consoles or console games at all; I just play roms. It's far better since you don't pay money and you can save wherever you want. I can't see why anybody would ever pay money to play a game on a console.
every

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »
Seventh-Gen games are downloadable as ROMs? News to me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I don't know about PS3 and 360, but I have heard that several Wii games are reasonably playable on emulators, if you have a pretty great computer.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Well, back in the day I didn't know about ROMs, so I was happy with actually owning the games. Considering emulation isn't perfect for even some SNES games (try playing Stunt Race FX sometime), having the real thing is preferable. Getting N64 ROMs to work right is much harder. To date "World Driver Championship" is still unplayable as a ROM, unless you download some special hack of a graphics plugin for Project64, and even then I heard the framerates are horrible. I tried playing the game anyway and my computer just couldn't take it. Too bad, that was one of my favorite games for the N64, even if it was the longest 40 hours playtime of my life (you start to get tired of the Sydney course after the 10th time through). I'm not even going to try GameCube ROMs, my computer would probably blow up (or catch a virus, whichever comes first).

But ROMs are how I discovered Secret of Mana and Banjo-Kazooie. I later bought Secret of Mana off the Virtual Console because it's much more fun to play with an actual controller. Well, except for the GameCube controller which just seems bulky.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
Say, is Secret of Mana any good? I've been thinking about downloading it for VC. Would you recommend it?

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
If you like RPG's from the.. mid 90's, go for it. Also, if you have at least one person who also likes to play RPG's. My sister and I have many fond memories of this game.

The item system is a bit odd and can take some getting used to, but other than that, the game is seriously fun.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
And hard and takes a long time to level up and do things and stuff. Also it's realtime.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
Chupperson, you just described Ys III.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 11:57:15 PM »
Also it's realtime.

Yeah, I had gathered that it played in a Zelda-like manner, albeit with leveling up and similar RPG elements. Well, thanks for the input. I'll definitely consider it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »
In my experience, Secret of Mana is only slightly less trying than Ys III.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
God I love roms so much. I download them for every system. Personally, I don't own any consoles or console games at all; I just play roms. It's far better since you don't pay money and you can save wherever you want. I can't see why anybody would ever pay money to play a game on a console.

Well, I do have ZSNES only because I wanted to play a few games that brought back memories or are hard to come by, but for every system? So, lemme run this by you of why consoles typically are 'better':

1. Not to be the goody-goody here, but it's 100% legal.
2. You own physical copies of it...so no possibility of "OH DUR ALL YOUR ROMS GOT CORRUPT'D LOL" or having your computer crash from it. Also, you may be missing tons of key features that the system offers; aka. system menu, etc. It may just play games and that's it.
3. You own consoles or handhelds from a a variety of companies which will more than likely become collectors' items one day. Have an NES and the computer you use now for roms in another 20 years and see which one would fetch more money.
4. You don't have to play crap on your computer screen or use the keyboard to play games that shouldn't be keyboard-y, e.g. Mario platformers.
5. You don't have to go through tons of procedures or worry about which plug-in works for each game or anything like that. You just put the cartridge/disc in, and it runs. No glitched sound, no glitched polygons, no transparencies, no slowdown, you have system menus and all features within those, etc., etc.
6. Gameplay of newer games will almost undoubtedly be slow or feature no sound, etc.
7. Having rewind, slowdown, savestates, etc. etc. typically makes the game easy as hell...so you wouldn't get the actual challenge that the creators wanted you to experience. Also, I doubt that you can connect to wi-fi and play online with with your games running through an emulator.

8. Since you claim to have emulators/roms for "each system," I'm beginning to think you just can't afford any of the real systems/games and/or you're too lazy...so basically, you'd rather sit around and scour the internet for ROMs of hit games.

You say, "OH DUR how cna ppl not play ROMES?" Well what the hell man, why would we play with emulators save for hard-to-come-by games or super old games? Glorb, I think it's about time you just bit the bullet, and went and paid the "un-Godly" amounts of $50.00 for a SNES, $30 for a GCN, $249.99 for a Wii, $199.99 for a 360, $299.99 for a PS3 slim, etc. (don't forget game costs), and play the games as they were meant to be played.....THEEEEN go try and find a ROM of it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:46:22 AM by Trainman »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30:13 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel a lot safer having digital copies of games than physical. I can make infinity extra copies of my games and put them in my camera, in my DSi, on my three hard drives, in my pen flash drive (which unfortunately ran out of ink a long time ago), all over the place. All my hard drives and SD cards aren't going to fail at the same time. With physical copies, I typically only have one. If it breaks or gets lost or stolen or the internal save battery dies, it's completely gone. I can buy more physical copies, but there's an increasingly finite number of them in existence, all of them becoming more expensive and less likely to work as time goes by, and if it's a cart, I can't transfer save files.

Also I'm pretty sure Glorb was being a little facetious.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
A little.

Tell you what, Trainman: I'll get rid of MAME if you'll spend thousands of dollars to buy me the arcade hardware and games I'd otherwise never get to play without it.

That $30 GameCube will definitely be a collector's item in a couple of decades. Too bad the media for it will have deteriorated.
A left-handed arcade stick would cost me a couple hundred dollars, because I'd need to get one custom-made. Instead, I use the quite comfortable arrow keys and ASDZXC configuration for my fighting games, because my netbook's keyboard doesn't suck for that purpose.
With some emulators, you have online play for systems that didn't have any online capabilities whatsoever.
There are PSX games that don't work properly on a PS2, Xbox games that don't work on a 360, GBA cartridges that don't work on anything except an actual GBA (meaning no Game Boy Player or DS), and the whole deal with region locks. So much for just putting the disc in and it running, eh?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
This page is filled with ridiculous thinking from both extremes.
I think it is definitely more fun to play on a real console, but for stuff like MAME it's fine to play emulated, and for games you can't get in English (and can't boot on the original system) it's fine too. (e.g. Persona 2: Innocent Sin can't really be played on a PS2 in English without some kind of hardware mod.)
I've never run into a PSX game that didn't work on my PS2. AFAIK there are like two that don't.
In all though, most of my consoles can play stuff from outside their region, and it's not terribly hard to accomplish.
And CrossEyed, I just think you're plain insane.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
For the record, MAME and ZSNES are the only emulators I use at this point, barring things I seldom load on the DS.

Definitely more fun on the actual system, yes, and I'd much rather play it on the actual system, but there are just too many cases where the cost of playing it on the actual system is too prohibitive for most people (which is why I use MAME and ZSNES).
Also, Chupperson: Like two?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Weird, I'm pretty sure I have a 30001 and don't have any issues with Lunar 2.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »
TRENMEN FELL FOR MY TROLLING
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 03:02:57 PM »
I saw right through it. Well, okay, it was a little foggy, but I still didn't instigate a massive ROM debate over it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there was some other ROM-related thread around here that I mentioned this on, but the only emulator I've ever had was "JNES"+600-odd NES games (and some other stuff never really used) on my dad's now-virtually-defunct old computer, installed by an old student(?) of his who, at that point, was going to Digipen. I deleted it a while back out of a sense of guilt and the fact that I just plain wasn't using it anymore (also, the old comp was being ravaged by slowness and/or viruses, and a virtual cleaning was in order). I wish I'd kept just a few,ROMs, though... Punch-Out and Dragon Warrior 2, at least. Anyway, I'm strongly considering getting a copy of Mother 3 so I can legally get the ROM and download the English patch.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
TRENMEN FELL FOR MY TROLLING

Uh oh.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 10:06:15 PM »
I feel no remorse over downloading and patching something to English if it was never released here. They obviously didn't want to make money from Americans from the game.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »
*coughSoma Bringercough*

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
'xactly.
That was a joke.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »
I actually only found out about emulators and ROMs in May of last year. I used one to play EarthBound, but ever since, I've used ROMs almost consistently and only play console games on my GameCube (it's the only system I still have). I'd play GameCube ROMs but unfortunately I don't know a thing about ISOs, seeds, or torrents.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »
All going by the mistake that the word "emulation" means "a video game pirated and played on a computer." I play my ROMs on my Wii. Growing up on SNES controllers that had convex buttons, playing SNES games with a Classic Controller is all too real-feeling. Except, Wii64 is really slow and bad. And Visual Boy Advance GX hiccups a lot.

I still use emulators for PC if I'm going somewhere with my laptop. With it and a 360 controller, I don't even bother taking a Game Boy or a DS with me anywhere ever at all. Not that I take my laptop on drives any shorter than two and a half hours. ...Not that my laptop lasts two and a half hours unplugged where is that AC-car plug adapter
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
Hmm, I have seen some ongoing debates about the convex vs. concave matter.

Personally, I like whatever they do with the controllers. I liked the SNES' X-Y concave/A-B convex set up. I like the Wii's convex sticks for the nunchuk and classic controller...it'd feel too low and restrict movement if it was concave. Also, I like the 360's concave setup a lot because it's almost impossible to slip off the thing. The N64 controller, however, is kinda slippery. Maybe they should've made the OEM controller concave with a thick lip (like the 360) or made it convex with rubber (like the Wii). I mean, it's fine at first, but after years of use it gets bad... especially when the stick wears down the the sides of the tabs used to keep it from getting loose.

Since it's loose, I can move the stick freely like halfway to any position, then that only leaves me with about 4 more millimeters to actually move the stick to make a character move, so more often than not I have to return it to the idle position and shunt it to the side quickly (in the same fashion as making a character dash in Smash Bros).

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
Say, is Secret of Mana any good? I've been thinking about downloading it for VC. Would you recommend it?
It's my favorite game of all, so yeah. I'll admit at first I was won over by the colorful locations and music and the presence of Flammie the white dragon. But as I played it, I also enjoyed it for its action-oriented realtime battle system (the only action battle system I've been willing to put up with because I can dodge physical attacks if I pay attention to how the enemies move). Plus, it was one of those games I heard about in Nintendo Power and I always wanted to find out what this "secret" of Mana was. Just look at the box cover for it, looks like they're deep in some forest. I can't resist a game like that.

What I remember most about the game, besides flying around as Flammie, is the music (especially that first forest you're in, before you get to Potos) and how fun it is to just walk around and smack enemies. Plus I happen to think a Rabite is the best first enemy ever because of its goofy face.

But the magic system is pretty bad. It takes forever to level it up, and the bosses are trivially easy to beat if you either have your magic regularly leveled up or you know a certain trick. I don't feel Secret of Mana had much in the way of level grinding, which is good... because it had frickin' magic grinding, which was horrible. Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Secret of Evermore's alchemy system.

I admit Chrono Trigger was bigger, better, and richer in every possible way... but you know how sometimes the extra stuff is overkill and you prefer not to think, going with a simpler game? That's how I view SoM, as a more simple RPG. I don't know, it just seemed to hit a niche because I haven't seen any other RPG with locations as appealing as those in SoM. By the way, I tried Seiken Densetsu 3 and didn't like it because they changed the battle system and the graphics gave it a different feel.

And just to reiterate again... Flammie was the overall reason I played SoM. Despite other RPGs that are better, flying around the world map as Flammie is what made it rise to #1 for me. Flammie makes an appearance in this "Gaming's Sweetest Rides" article.

The title screen's pretty memorable too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:58:26 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Print