Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG - Super Jumps Tutorial  (Read 23759 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
EDIT: I just realized this probably belongs in Game Help, but oh well, no one ever checks that branch of the forum anyway.
EDIT2: Who moved it?

I've played the game for years now and I never really went for a high number of super jumps because I never got the timing down and wasn't all that worried with it. After I screwed around for a bit, I figured it out, and got my 100 jumps.

Now I'm paying it forward with a visual + narrated tutorial made in After Effects on Youtube (since there's only like two random guides on how to do it on the internet and they're text-based).

Enjoy, hope it helps, and watch it in HD. Follow the annotations if needed.

Tutorial - SD for you slow-as-hell people

Tutorial - HD
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:34:11 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
Very good video.  Thanks.  Did you estimate the bar levels based on practice or specific code for the height/speed at various jumps?  Also, what did you record the video with? 

You made me want to play SMRPG again, but my daughter and I are currently playing Paper Mario and are at the Toy Box boss. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
Sexy special effects in that video. Good job, man. My Super Jump record stands at about 70, if I remember correctly.

The low-quality tutorial took about ten minutes to load when viewed in 240p. Is that bad for a high-speed connection?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:47:58 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:32:56 PM »
Very good video.  Thanks.  Did you estimate the bar levels based on practice or specific code for the height/speed at various jumps?  Also, what did you record the video with?

Thank you!

I did it by trial and error. I tried to test how off I could get with the timing before it knocked me off, and then over time I built up an awareness of where the timing bracket was. The one thing I knew going into it was that the final timing change required you to press Y after a certain amount of jumps as Mario was obscuring a bit of the enemy, and not right before (like anyone's natural gaming senses would tell them.) It's almost like a lag behind Mario of when to hit Y because the press must occur while he is on top, which, as the video describes, is about two or three frames.

I captured the video using a Dazzle DVC-100 capture card. It costs around $50 bucks and is decent. All the videos on my channel that have gameplay were captured with the card, and I have a quality test (and other vids) demonstrating how games look including SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, and 360. Two cons, if you're considering purchasing a Dazzle of any sort: make sure you have a lot of space in your destination folder (for your clips) before you capture. Otherwise it'll jitter and/or get out of sync. When mine started jittering, I had 34GB of captured crap I didn't need (200 megabytes per minute of recording, I believe). Once I cleared the folder out, it was fine. Second con is the editing software is a glorified Windows Movie Maker (and I despise WMM).

Sexy special effects in that video. Good job, man. My Super Jump record stands at about 70, if I remember correctly.

The low-quality tutorial took about ten minutes to load when viewed in 240p. Is that bad for a high-speed connection?

Thanks!

And wait are you kidding me? Sometimes Youtube screws up, but that's insanely slow. It took 44 seconds for the entire video to load in 720p for me. Hold on, okay, so I just tried loading it in 240p to check... uhhh, it's loading really slowly for me too. That's weird.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
Thanks a lot for the video! I just happen to be playing this game again and doing this exact thing. Now I know exactly how much room for error I have.

EDIT: I did it! This makes it the second time I got 100 Super Jumps in this game. Thanks a bunch!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:42:07 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
Perhaps I should make something like this for Superstar Saga's Knockback Bros. and Chopper Bros.  I'd probably benefit from them myself.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:55 AM »
Thanks a lot for the video! I just happen to be playing this game again and doing this exact thing. Now I know exactly how much room for error I have.

EDIT: I did it! This makes it the second time I got 100 Super Jumps in this game. Thanks a bunch!

Good stuff. You're very welcome.

It's helping out people more than I expected! I think having that tiny, subtle thing that messes people up illustrated and explained did the trick.

Print