Print

Author Topic: K'NEX MARIO KART  (Read 11415 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
I was just at Target to get another bookshelf and saw these.  I've wanted a LEGO Mario set for a long time, but these K'NEX sets are nearly as good.  I bought the Mario kart and Luigi bike, but they also had Mario bikes, Luigi and Yoshi karts.  In addition there were several tracks and add-ons that I couldn't find on the K'NEX site and are sold out on Target.com.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
@_@ That's awesome! I'd get them all if I could...

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
Since when have K'NEX been such a blatant ripoff of Lego?

I've always wished Lego would release Mario-themed sets as well.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
It's LEGO, not Lego.  There was a case I read about recently in which a judge said that LEGO could no longer stop others from making similar LEGO bricks.  Also, K'NEX are American made and to my knowledge didn't make the block type pieces until recently.  There have been LEGO copies out of China for a long time now though.  (BTW, LEGOs is not acceptable either.  Instead say something like LEGO blocks, LEGO parts, or LEGO pieces.)

* Luigison gets off his soapbox. 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
Both 'LEGO' and 'Lego' are correct.

However, I'll agree that anyone who calls them 'Legos' deserves to be slaughtered like cattle.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »
Mooooooooo
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
You're almost as despicable as the scum who pronounce Mario as 'May-ree-oh'.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
Hey, now, I wouldn't go that far.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
In the sources of the Wiki article you linked you'll find http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/AboutUsFactsAndFiguresContent/otherfiles/download98E142631E71927FDD52304C1C0F1685.pdf
Read the last page of this official document from LEGO themselves. 

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:54 PM »
That's merely the company's branding preference, much like how Square Enix insists retailers spell 'FINAL FANTASY' in all-caps. Writing 'Lego' in upper-case letters is like following its first mention with a Registered (®) symbol: Preferred by the company, but not essential.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
I always specifically lower-case "LEGO" (and other companies' similar tactics) for game titles in the Weekly Releases. Unless you're an acronym or have a reeaally good reason for non-standard capitalization, you're not getting special treatment compared to other proper nouns, buddy.

Mussolini similarly demanded that the Italian press always write his name in all-caps. If you write "LEGO", you're basically supporting corporate fascism.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
Does Luigison play SOULCALIBUR on his PLAYSTATION 3?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:29 AM »
There have been LEGO copies out of China for a long time now though.

It's true. Many kids in China play with such brands of bootlego called "Enlighten" and "Best-Lock", whose sets act as depictions of everyday Chinese life:

The terrifying part is that the above images are completely authentic.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »
Yep, totally grabbing one of these.  I'd rather they be Lego, but this knock-off is better than nothing!  Any chance of non-vehicle sets?  Peach's Castle, Bowser's Keep, stuff like that would ruuuuuuuuuuuuule. To anyone that's bought one, how are K'Nex's blocks?  Are they kind of cheap and crappy feeling like Mega Blocks?  I'd expect better from K'Nex, but you never know...
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »
I remember Byggis having there own sort of Mario-themed lego set. But it looked awful.

Has anyone seen my wallet? >.<

Print