Print

Author Topic: Worried about the future of Mario  (Read 22372 times)

« on: June 08, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »
For the past 4 platforming Mario games, Nintendo has basically made the same game. You could say there are different power ups but that's like saying each Pokemon game is different because it has different Pokemon. The graphics have been the same style since NSMB, and while they try to add things like carrying Yoshis and lots of coins, they come off as cheap gimmicks. I feel Nintendo is going the route of other big corporations and not caring about its customers.
Now with grandeur.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
1. NSMB is a sub-series, not the main series.

2. Nintendo didn't make a machine that focuses only on watching TV and spying on people. I think we're getting the better deal here.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
If it isn't the main series then what is? The SMB series died 20 years ago.
Now with grandeur.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »
You can't seriously be discouting SM64, SMS, and SMG as part of "the SMB series". If your criteria for that is two-player options and side-scrolling, then... well, the whole point of NSMB was to bring that back, like it or not.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
I'll take what we've got over what we had during the GameCube era any day of the week.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »
I for one liked Super Mario Sunshine.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Besides not being so big on Sunshine I also refer to the coincidental drought of real Mario games at that time. The best RPGs were all made in the early aughts but wow where did the real-time face-stomping action go?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
Remakes on the GBA.

Nothing but remakes.

(which I'm actually fine with. That's how I first played SMB3 and Yoshi's Island.)
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Don't forget all those spiffy e-Reader maps in SMA4.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
I never had any of those. I didn't have an E-Reader. Made me a little sad.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Don't forget all those spiffy e-Reader maps in SMA4.
Yes, but they only release series 1 and 2 of the cards.  Maybe we'll get all the levels on Wii U eventually. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
Back when these forums got started, in the late N64 and early Cube era, there was thread after thread of people begging, pleading, dreaming, and scheming for new 2D Mario platformers.

Now that we get them constantly, sometime multiple a year, as well as 3D brilliance like SM3DL and SMG2, people complain about it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:47:08 PM »
Yes, but they only release series 1 and 2 of the cards.  Maybe we'll get all the levels on Wii U eventually.

We won't.

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »
Back when these forums got started, in the late N64 and early Cube era, there was thread after thread of people begging, pleading, dreaming, and scheming for new 2D Mario platformers.

Now that we get them constantly, sometime multiple a year, as well as 3D brilliance like SM3DL and SMG2, people complain about it.

Because they're all basically the same game.
Now with grandeur.

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
The levels are completely different each time. That's what actually matters. Graphics and power-ups are just fluff.

Have you actually played SM3DL? The future of Mario is bright.

Print