Print

Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World  (Read 31046 times)

« on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_3D_World

So what's everyone think about this one? I'm disappointed they're continuing with this rather boring naming style, and the Cat suits seem kind of awkward, but it looks good otherwise. I'm always hoping for weird cameos so all of the SMB2 references make me hope for a return of Wart. Game Over screens suggest Bowser as the main villian again, however.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
I really REALLY loved 3D Land so even my hatred of cats cannot ruin this for me. I have also been wanting a co-op multiplayer Mario game with characters who don't all play the same (although I was hoping for Wario to be involved), so that's something.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
Game Over screens suggest Bowser as the main villian again, however.

NINTENDO REFUSES TO DEVIATE FROM RIGID FORMULA IN NEW MARIO PLATFORMER

MORE AT 11
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:02:24 PM »
Excited about the SMB2 roster throwback, what looks like fully free player selection, and actual differences between the playable characters (oddly enough, Mario looks to be worse off than the rest).  The cat suit's attacks and abilities actually feel pretty unique; I can't think of any other powerups in the main series that focused around physical combat, and the climbing feature is a nice alternative to "generic flight/jump enhancer powerup" (and since the Tanooki suit's also returning, that's apparently covered anyway).  The clear pipes are an interesting addition as well; it's surprising that's never been done before.  And of course, I'm a sucker for built-in competitive measures, so the score chart at the end of the levels is certainly a plus in my book.  I have to wonder how the respawn-bubble mechanic controls in 3-D; it seems like it would be no less annoying than it was in NSMBWii unless they let the players have more direct control, but I don't know what that would look like in 3-D, either.

Truth be told, I hated what I've played/seen of 3D Land, but this would certainly be a day-1 pickup for me if I had a Wii U of my own, and is certainly more incentive to get one.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
You hated 3D Land? WHAT!?

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion even if it is wrong :p. While I love 3D Land, I do miss a time when the platformers were multiplayer.. I guess that would be my only gripe with that game, and it looks like they fixed it in 3D World, so problem solved! :D
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:10 AM »
SUCH INSIGHT

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
Code: [Select]
such insight                doge like            so period
              wow                  very dot               
     good jorb           so win
Edit: For context: Before Weegee's post, a spambot posted a single period. It's been deleted now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:28:33 PM by bobbysq1337 »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Now Weegee just looks like he was contemplating the intricacies of Toad's post for a long time.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:53 PM »
Edit: For context: Before Weegee's post, a spambot posted a single period. It's been deleted now.

It was originally a lengthly advertising post for Icelandic clothing outlets.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
It was originally a lengthly advertising post for Icelandic clothing outlets.
Wasn't for me.

Anyway, I am honestly excited for this. I won't pre-order it, though, since the release is relatively close to my birthday.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »
What is your desktop background? I see that it is SMB inspired..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:54 AM »
I think that's a custom browser theme.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
good jorb

Unlike most people, I'm actually looking forward to this game a whole lot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:55:29 PM by Luigison »
Relics.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:05:06 AM »
New Nintendo Direct footage looked pretty dang epic.  I'll post more detailed impressions later...

At the very least, the area themes look considerably more variable than the last seven+ years, and the HD looks fantastic.  Whole thing has more of a DKCR-esque take on Mario (which is just as well, as DKCR2 got delayed to February).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:14:08 AM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
The new Cherry Power-up looks like it will be alot of fun to use. The best part for me though was Bowser's new pimp mobile at the end of the gameplay trailer.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
Just watched the new Nintendo Direct.

Sexy. Still much more linear than I'd hoped, but hey. The music is very Donkey Kong Country.

I wonder if Iwata understands a single word he's reading off the teleprompter.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
Iwata is fluent in English. He's actually better when not on the camera.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »

Caption, anyone?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
Peach fails to understand the importance of using toilet paper and putting on underwear.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:19:27 AM by I am hello »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 11:27:42 AM »
Warp Pipe
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

Bowser's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park

Also, note the top right.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 10:55:26 PM by bobbysq1337 »

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »
Pardon my stealing from Family Guy

The carpet matched the drapes...in color and quantity.

Hey now, I checked the rules and there wasn't anything about "inappropriate material" unless you're linking it or evading the swear filter.
Relics.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Mario 3D World for many reasons. First off, it follows Mario 3D Land in terms of gameplay and 3D Land is like my early childhood Imagination of a 2D Mario platformer brought to life, before Mario 64 was even created. Secondly, the SMB2 roster is the playable hero roster for 3D World! I can't tell you how long I've waited for Peach to be fully playable again! I really want to enjoy seeing her Fire Flower colors! Third, several of my favorite enemies from Super Mario World and power ups will return! The Super Leaf is awesome in the new 3D games! And I missed Chargin' Chuck, the round Goombas, and the Beach Koopas! New Super Mario 2 brought back Reznor! Mario U brought back the Sumo Bros.! I can only hope to see even more things that originated from Super Mario World in the future! And Yoshi! A new Mario 3D game with Yoshies to ride on would be awesome! Plus I found out that at least for right now, the "lose-a-life" jingle will be a remix of Mario 3's version as opposed to the classic jingle for a change! I'm always loving lots of different songs from video games so 3D World is another game I want so I can enjoy the music as well as everything else in it!

But anyway, with the stuff 3D World will already feature, I can't wait to get it!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
I like how Peach puts her hair up when she has fire. Safety first.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »

Bowser's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park
Or: Bowser learns something from Eggman
My mind is telling me no... My body is telling me no too, just so you know.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
Looks like we have another agent from the US Department of Redundancy Department.

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
It's interesting how Nintendo has opted towards creating games that are more fun for more people; I can picture myself playing this with three friends and having an absolute blast with it.

This is the first game I've seen that's actually made me want a Wii U.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
oh by the way

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjUiL6sKe4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjUiL6sKe4</a>

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
Great SECRET character, Nintendo.

She moves so slowly it almost hurts to watch.

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »
About how I expected her to control after hearing the reveal; basically all of Peach's strengths and weaknesses exaggerated further.  I'm still curious as to whether Mario has anything special going for him; it appears that Toad doesn't jump any lower than him, nor Luigi run any slower, thereby making him objectively worse than both.

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 01:11:20 AM »
Luigi is probably more slippery as always.

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »

Do want.  Haven't gotten to play the game, but from what I've heard from the intro cutscene and various trailers, this soundtrack seems absolutely amazing.

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
That artwork is to die for.

Japan-only?

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
Welp, time to find a way to not tempt myself into spoiling it before I get it on Christmas ;_;
Relics.

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
That artwork is to die for.

Japan-only?
As far as I know, it's been announced as a Club Nintendo reward in Japan; wouldn't be surprised if it ended up staying there, as per usual.  I love the return to the classic NES-era artwork style as well.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 02:30:39 AM »
So Koopa has a band named Bowser in Japan? Weird.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
Maybe it's the brand of the drums?

Also, since no one's said it yet, this game is awesome.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
On a scale of | to O, how linear is it? Getting it in two days.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:05 PM »
Okay, time to start the TMK time trials page!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »
So Koopa has a band named Bowser in Japan? Weird.
Maybe he's just got an Alan White-style drum kit.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
On a scale of | to O, how linear is it? Getting it in two days.
Right about Super Mario Bros. 3-level, sans Warp Whistle.  I played through the first five worlds casually with a few friends recently, and I was surprised to find that the levels aren't really associated with the world themes, much like 3D Land's.  Was still a ton of fun, though; those four-player score battles can get pretty hectic quickly, especially when combined with any number of platform gimmicks.

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »
So far I'm having a really good time of it. I tend to prefer the more open Galaxy style Mario games, but Super Mario 3D world is still a [darn] good game absolutely bursting to the seams with polish.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Are there any throwback levels (like 2-3 and.. I think S1-3 in SM3DL) with 8bit things all over?

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 11:44:34 PM »
Are there any throwback levels (like 2-3 and.. I think S1-3 in SM3DL) with 8bit things all over?
I've found the room they showed in one of the trailers with a giant 8-bit Mario, but nothing else yet.  I've only played through the first five worlds, though.  Also, 3D World's ghost-house music is absolutely gorgeous; even better than Ghostly Galaxy's, in my opinion.

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
I already hate Plessie.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
There hasn't been anything yet about this game that I've disliked. I'm particularly fond of the music.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mUMj8jCcI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mUMj8jCcI</a>
Seriously, you can't not love that saxophone.

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
I don't have the game yet, but it appears this game is the start of the Wii U's comeback.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
I like how the best game of the generation so far has a smaller file size (~1.6GB) than some of the day-one patches for PS4 and Xbone games.

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:55 AM »
It's difficult for me to describe the game much beyond the fact it's pretty much pure joy. It reminds me of when I was a kid at a playground and I was just running and climbing on stuff. It gives me that kind of rush.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »
Heh, that's a really great way to put it.

It's just... so fun!
Go Moon!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:01 AM »
I'm also really glad it's three saves per profile instead of three saves per console like NSMBU.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
I had this sentiment about 3D Land and NSMBU, but 3D World has all the more style and even more substance to back me up: If you don't like this game I think you seriously misunderstand what a video game even is.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:09:56 AM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »
It's when you play catch using VHS tapes, right?

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
A:>TENNIS.COM
#### ####
#  # #  #
#  # #  #
#### ####

|
    |
    |
o     |

|
|
|
|
right?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
Okay, time to start the TMK time trials page!
Coming soon-ish

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
I'm not looking forward to getting those last five stickers.

Speaking of which, favourite character to play as?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:22:30 PM by Weegee »

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
My friend and I played through most of the game as Peach and Luigi, and so ended up having to clear each level with Mario, Toad, and *COUGHCOUGH*.  Since there were just the two of us and three characters left, this would mean we'd have to play through each stage twice more to completely clear it.  And this didn't sound very appealing.

So instead we turned on another controller, and just had the character neither of us wanted (Mario) sit around in a bubble until the end, where one of us would guide him to the flagpole.  My friend then figured that the easiest way to get Mario onto the flagpole at the end would be to pick him up and toss him.  And this quickly escalated to us trying to carry Mario through each entire level, where we'd toss him into powerups, onto enemies' heads, and carry him through any floating stars.  We treated it as though Mario were dying, and almost completely debilitated, but still wanted to go on one last adventure.  And so we were granting his wish in any way we could, shouting words of encouragement as we went.  "Way to go, Mario!  You killed the boss!"  "Nice one, Mario!  You got the top of the flagpole!"

And it's all the better when he ends up winning in points.
Go Moon!

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 10:11:14 PM »
I refuse to believe you finished the last world that way.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
We're still in the midst of re-playing everything.  Last time we stopped, we had just gotten to Bowser's castle.

I'm sure we're gonna see a lot of trouble with this method before too long.  We may resort to leaving Mario in his bubble again.
Go Moon!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2013, 10:49:56 PM »
We played like that that for a while when my dad was playing as Mario and fell asleep.

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQr0aQRKsQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQr0aQRKsQ</a>

I love this game's music and I haven't even played it yet.

...I'm having a REALLY tough time not reading/watching stuff about it and spoiling it for me. I get it on Christmas.
Relics.

Print