Print

Author Topic: I'm in China  (Read 12219 times)

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:16:53 PM »
Erectric Boogaroo
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
Why hasn't he answered any of our questions
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:02 PM »
He said too much in the first post. They took him away.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »
"How you breathin'"
Fine, I have a respirator mask for the bad air days. 80% of the time I don't need it.

"Is it fun to swim in the algae/chemicals/trash?"
I usually swim in the pool at my gym. There's a little bit of chlorine in there, I think.

"Have you gone to China on vacation?"
I'm an English teacher.

Attached is a picture of a sunrise from my apartment's balcony.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Cool!  I thought this was a joke thread. 

My best friend from high school lives in Suzhou, Jiangsu. 

How's the internet?  Speed?  Censorship?

Do you teach only in English? 

I hope you've never pulled a Watoad and started talking about Mario while trying to fake a sincere topic.  If I recall correctly, Watoad pretended to talk (in Japanese) about salvation in a church. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 04:47:12 PM »
Nice sunrise. I bet the view is nice too (looks like it)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
Do you often use TOR or other anonymity software to browse the internet there?
Relics.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
Can you view this image?

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
Will you please print out a bunch of papers with that picture on them, but with a ridiculous and untrue caption, and then hang them on walls and such?
Relics.

TEM

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:06 AM »
"How's the internet?  Speed?  Censorship?"

During the day it's fine, at night it slows down sometimes pretty slow.

"Do you teach only in English?"

Yes, there's a skill called "language grading" that allows low level students to understand instructions. You don't need to speak Chinese beyond five or six words when living in Beijing. Not needing to learn Chinese (Mandarin) has hampered my learning the language.

"Do you often use TOR or other anonymity software to browse the internet there?"
"Can you view this image?"

I use a VPN to view whatever I want. It slows my internet down a little. If I use it on a night when the internet is slow to begin with, watching Netflix or Youtube is almost impossible.

Pic 1: The Central Radio & Television Tower
Pic 2: The base of the tower, guarded by two golden dragons.
Pic 3: View of Beijing from the top of the tower. It's the tallest structure in Beijing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:01:55 AM by TEM »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
Wow. Golden dragons. They really do want to protect what goes on the air.

Unrelated, but hi TEM, I still make comics vertically oriented at your suggestion years ago. Because of what I seem to remember you describing as "kids these days with their scroll wheels," and I've come up with some exploitations of it on my own too. It's got its pros and cons. Dunno if you care at all, but maybe. Just thought I'd bring it up where I knew you'd see it.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
This is interesting stuff.

How much of the internet is restricted without using a VPN or similar workarounds?

Do people give you funny looks or treat you much differently?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
Hey, TEM. It's been a while. Hope you're doing well, old pal.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

TEM

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
BP: Don't post a link or anything.

Weegee: No Facebook, YouTube, or Netflix. There are Chinese counterparts to all three, but, come on, right? Just to set the record straight, daily life is probably the same as in an American city (I think, I've never lived in a city this large in America). There are small differences, but nothing huge (aside from language and ethnic demographics). At any given time, I'm being stared at by someone, not in an antagonistic way, but in a "that guy looks different" kind of way. Chinese girls have a thing for white guys; they've been brainwashed to believe they're the most handsome type of human being possible. People sneak pictures of me regularly, and openly photograph me near tourist attractions (just today a female student tried to take my picture during class). When this happens I start taking pictures with as many people as I can; it's a lot of fun.

Koopaslaya: Thanks, how are you?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »
It's YOUR problem!

Print