Print

Author Topic: Is Shigeru Miyamoto Good for Nintendo?  (Read 21578 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
Super Mario 64 wasn't a reboot in terms of gameplay. The only thing that it brought back were some classic tunes and enemies (plus the basic plot).

StarFox 64, I'll give you that one, total reboot albeit with better graphics and sound. (I like 64 better though personally).
I think there's a disconnect here on what "reboot" means, especially if you're going to qualify it as "in terms of gameplay".

Mario 64 plays completely differently from any Mario game that came before it. Reboot.
Star Fox 64 plays almost exactly the same as Star Fox 1. Not a reboot.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 05:18:29 PM by BriGuy92 »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 06:36:16 PM »
I considered both gameplay and plot reboots in my list.  (Star Fox, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Zero are all versions of the same Lylat Wars)

I was not trying to define "reboot". Quite the opposite, I was just wondering what 4 Game Freak actually wanted, because Nintendo constantly resets both their series' plots and gameplay.

Does he want something drastic like Bomberman: Act Zero?

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
I considered both gameplay and plot reboots in my list.  (Star Fox, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Zero are all versions of the same Lylat Wars)

I was not trying to define "reboot". Quite the opposite, I was just wondering what 4 Game Freak actually wanted, because Nintendo constantly resets both their series' plots and gameplay.

Does he want something drastic like Bomberman: Act Zero?
No, not to that level!

I just want them to go back to basics. Go back to what made series like Mario and Zelda popular in the first place.

Honestly, I liked the whole"Marios were Earthers from Brooklyn" story from NOA. Perhaps they could just use the original tale of how they first got into the Mushroom Kingdom and next. The story structure I would have taken would go like this.

SMB1/SMBLL > SMBUSA > SMB3 > SML1 > SML2 > SMW

This way, they could re-introduce us to the familiar characters and worlds in a much more proper way, as well as not overuse Bowser as much.

Let's also take Metroid. I want the gameplay and immersion to be as good as, at least, Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. As for Story Canon, its Structure could restart like this.

Metroid 1 > Metroid II > Metroid Prime

Because I kinda had some questions regarding Super Metroid(how did Mother Brain come back, for one).

I'll speak more of these at some later point.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
I just want them to go back to basics. Go back to what made series like Mario and Zelda popular in the first place.

yeah. Mario being from Brooklyn. That was definitely the big selling point. Buy a NES! We got a guy from Brooklyn!!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
I love how everybody who begs for that to "come back" always fails to realize it was never actually used for any significant purpose in any Mario games proper, and removing it affected absolutely nothing in the long run.

Edit: Also gotta point the futility of asking for Mario to have a "story structure" of any sort.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
I mean rebooting the "content and lore." At the very least, make it more sense. It doesn't have to be the most important thing in the game. It just have to be, at least, justified.

From Malstrom(yeah, yeah), many of those in the 80's liked the game for the immersion of the Mushroom World. The gameplay was minor and irrelevant to them(as long as it's not bad, they don't care).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
At the very least, make it more sense. It doesn't have to be the most important thing in the game. It just have to be, at least, justified.

Question the first: Why?

Question the second: When did Sean Malstrom become an authority on absolutely every child who ever played Mario in the 80s?

Question the third: Why are you trying this hard to be Sean Malstrom?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »
At least he's not bagging on every Zelda game after Adventure of Link like Tevis Thompson. But yeah, I'm not sure what "core" of the Mario series there is to go back to besides that plot summary in the SMB instruction booklet.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
I honestly really really want another game in the style of Zelda II.
That game is soo fun, even if the only other games like it in the series suck ass.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »
Eh, could be an interesting change of pace. I've long dreamed of an all-in duo of games that'd be a Mario-style Zelda game and a Zelda-style Mario game.

By "other games like it," though... you don't mean the CD-i series?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
I do indeed.
They have stuff that wasn't in Zelda II that make it worse, but the main reason they're bad (in my opinion) is because of how much they *******ized the gameplay of II.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
an all-in duo of games that'd be a Mario-style Zelda game and a Zelda-style Mario game.
ooooooh i like this 👍👍👍👍👍
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
But aren't both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi Zelda-style, turn-based battles aside?

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
I suppose, in the sense that there is a large world and you have a progression of abilities through the whole game. That's about it, though.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 07:13:12 AM »
I always pictured the Mario one being dungeons, equippable items, etc. in the Mushroom Kingdom with the comparatively grittier Smash Bros. styles of the characters/universe, while the Zelda one would be a 3D platformer (copious focus on Roc's Feather, if need be) with Wind Waker graphics.

Print