Print

Author Topic: "Mature" Mario?  (Read 9411 times)

« on: November 17, 2000, 11:12:06 PM »
I'm just wondering, what do you think of this "mature" Mario business that Mr. Miyamoto has vaguely hinted at?

Me?  I swear to God, if Nintendo goes so far as to take out that goofy Italian accent, I'll have a nervous breakdown.  I can't imagine the Brothers Mario talking without it.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2000, 09:58:44 AM »
You see.. Mario and Luigi where born in New York. Thats a fake accent that there using. If they didnt use the accent It wouldnt make a difference that much.(Even i would go mad.) so you see thats accent is fake not real.(But they do it good.)
Break me...I dare you.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2000, 11:42:22 AM »
I don't buy into that Brooklyn/New York crap.  Why?  Watch the ending to Yoshi's Island.  It shows baby Mario and Luigi getting dropped off in a valley full of Mushroom houses.  Their parents live in one of these mushroom houses.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, there aren't a heck of a lot of giant mushrooms with people living in them in New York. . .
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2000, 12:23:28 PM »
Those babies weren't (our) Mario and Luigi.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2000, 01:34:10 PM »
What?!
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2000, 12:41:20 PM »
Okay, now you're getting into that multiple main character garbage that has so many Zelda fans confused.  (Some sources estimate that there are actually 3 different pairs of Links and Zeldas)  I think it would help out a whole lot if we all just admit that the game designers periodically assume creative license when it comes to the 'canon' Mario plot.

I personally see nothing wrong with creative license, as long as they don't pull crap like that too often... ; )
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2000, 12:55:59 PM »
Oh yeah, about the Mature Mario thing...

We have to remember a few things about what Miyamoto could mean by 'mature'-

1) 'Mature' could have a different meaning in the Japanese culture.  For instance, rather than violent-mature, maybe more intellect-mature.  The danger is to assume that Nintendo will jump onto the M-rated bandwagon, which isn't necessarily true.

2) Japanese and English are two vastly different languages, meaning that it is incredibly difficult to effectively translate between the two and retain the original meaning. What trickled down to us as 'mature' could have had an entirely different meaning before passing through the translation digestive system.  (This could also explain those goofy Japanese game titles...)

In other words, I'm just as confused as you are.  I guess we'll find out about this mature thing when SM decides to make a new game...

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2000, 02:06:13 PM »
By "our Mario and Luigi" I mean the Mario brothers who starred in the "Mario Bros. " and "Super Mario Bros." games, "Qix," etc.

This topic has already been discussed under "About Miyamoto's 'mature' Mario."  What's the point of creating this new section rather than just responding to those posts?!?

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Edited by - Mega 2 on 11/25/2000 9:00:17 AM
Mega 2

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2000, 05:11:02 PM »
It means:
no more:
happy cloudes
goofy creatures
happy hills
more:
mean/ugly stuff
none happy faced stuff

Its what I think

(insert another dumb Boshi joke here)
the following is a test:

Edited by - Boshi on 11/19/00 3:12:33 PM
 (insert another dumb Boshi joke here)

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2000, 06:15:10 PM »
Yeah, I think Boshi sums it up pretty well. ; )

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2000, 05:47:35 PM »
"Mario" can't be dead serious like "Metroid" or "Diablo," there needs to be some cartoonishness, about the level of "Super Mario Bros. 3," "Super Mario World," or "Super Mario 64."  Then there are non-adventure games like the "Mariokart" series that can be way out there.  There just needs to be a line drawn somewhere between the games I mentioned and stuff like "Yoshi's Island" and "Yoshi's Story."  The most serious game was probably "Super Mario Bros.," and that's what Nintendo should probably aim for (with the cool new graphics of modern games).

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2000, 07:38:39 PM »
Hyper Magazine had a joke about this, it had Shiguru Miyamoto & John Carmack starting
up they're own company, because, and I quote:

"A 'mature' mario wouldn't jump on his enemie's heads,
he'd smite them into a fine red mist d---it!"

"Was he lying?"
"Does Fort Koopa need sweeping?"

rick_trimble@hotmail.com
"Was he lying?"
"Does Fort Koopa need sweeping?"

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2000, 05:41:10 AM »
From what I've seen of Paper Mario, they've dropped his "V" sign for a thumbs-up. I doubt there'll be as much cartoonish-ness... but I felt as if SMW2 was one of the more serious ones. It was a massive game with marvellous graphics that rarely ventured into "cutesy" - there were skeletonised enemies, giant monstrous bosses and it was generally cool.

Yoshi's Story was not...

So I reckon it'll be more of a turn back to the "old-style" but still cartoony. I think Paper Mario will be our first taste of that.
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2000, 10:26:14 AM »
"Paper Mario" may have improvements, but it's still sort of cartoonish (more so than the first "Super Mario R.P.G.").  I think it's just a step in an evolution toward seriousness.  I just hope it's an end to the anarchy.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Mega 2

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2000, 12:56:51 PM »
For the mature mario, i hope they don't start rating the games M (17+).

oh and about that "our" mario and luigi thing, it would make sense if:
mario and luigi were born in mushroom kingdom. then their parents thought that with bowser around, it wasn't safe. therefore, they shipped the bros. off to brooklyn, and there they grew up until adults, found their true heritige thru that pipe mishap in Mario Bros. so they went back and have been there ever since.

~Formally daFunkster

Edited by - TheGnarlyOne on 12/23/2000 11:00:47 AM
~Formally daFunkster

Print