Print

Author Topic: Classic Quotes From Non-Forum Members  (Read 6837 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 08:13:39 AM »
I don't get all these people who use fake quotes from MLK, or whoever, about Bin Laden. What, are we supposed to respect you because...? I don't know, it just seems weird to me (I'm not talking about Luigison, but that quote just reminded me of this).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
"I have a dream... that one day, Bin Laden will get his *****-ass head capped."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 11:49:32 AM »
The noble thing to do in response to his death would have been to not celebrate it. Remember that Osama celebrated on September 11. Do you really want to lower yourself to the level of such a sheepish character?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 12:36:02 PM »
The fake MLK quotes annoy me. They're good sentiments; why did whoever first posted them feel the need to lie and tack on a name to them? Let the sentiments stand on their own.

We shouldn't celebrate anyone's death. (Yes, this is coming from the guy that posted the flag gifs.) When a burglar breaks into your house and you end up shooting him to protect your family, you weren't in the wrong for killing in self-defense -- you definitely did right by your family -- but that doesn't mean you throw a party. At best, killing Bin Laden was like pooping -- it was necessary and good and essential, but not very pretty.

And especially from a Christian perspective. Bin Laden was evil and deserving of eternity in hell. And so am I. In and of myself, I'm infinitely more like Bin Laden than I am like God, and Bin Laden was just as deserving of salvation as me -- i.e., not at all. Yes, the world will probably be a better place without him, but someone still died without knowing Christ, and that should at least give us pause.

(See also: Ezekiel 33 ("Tell them, 'As sure as I am the living God, I take no pleasure from the death of the wicked. I want the wicked to change their ways and live. Turn your life around! Reverse your evil ways! Why die, Israel?'"), Ezekiel 18 ("Do you think I take any pleasure in the death of wicked men and women? Isn't it my pleasure that they turn around, no longer living wrong but living right—really living?"), Proverbs 24:17-18 ("Don't laugh when your enemy falls; don't crow over his collapse. God might see, and become very provoked, and then take pity on his plight."), and the book of Jonah.)

Now quotes:

One I've quoted here several times before: “Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence....When I was ten, I read fairytales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” — C.S. Lewis

One that I think I might've had as a sig at some point: “If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it’s another nonconformist who doesn’t conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.” —Bill Vaughan

I don't actually know who Bill Vaughan is, but it's a good quote and apparently he's the guy that said it.

“For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either. The ends of things and their beginnings are impregnably concealed from him in an impenetrable secret. He is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness out of which he was drawn and the infinite in which he is engulfed.” — Blaise Pascal

And a classic: “Cats are interesting, they're like girls… if they come and talk to you, it's great! But if you go and talk to them, it might not go so well.” — Shigeru Miyamoto
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:49:31 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:32 AM »
"I was trying to stay the hell out of prison by not hitting people in the street with bricks."~Wesley Willis

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
"The Bible does not spend a lot of time telling men who rule over others to be careful not to underdo it. That is a possible sin, but it is not the normal one that comes with the territory." - Douglas Wilson
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence."~David Hume

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
3:29 Loputousu: If I were the President I'd hire Samus to take out Al Qaeda
3:29 JaggerG: but
3:29 JaggerG: then the planet might explode

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
"If you're going to blame God for the crap in your life, you've got to give him credit for what grows from that fertilized ground." - Hyrum Graff
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
"Conflict cannot survive without your participation."~Wayne Dyer

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »
"Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'" - Randall Munroe

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:33 PM »
[16:43:57] <GarciaHotspur> It's a wonder there isn't an Adventure Time videogame yet
[16:44:08] <%Ventricle> I'd totally play an AT Zelda clone
[16:46:17] <GarciaHotspur> And then it turns out Ganondorf is the final boss of that too

Print