Poll

Who should win second place for Dynamic Duo?

Chupperson Weird & TEM
Sapphira & Watoad
Print

Author Topic: Winter 2006 ADVANCED Poster Awards  (Read 33242 times)

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
So what is the history behind "Listen to this man"?

Ah, the crying baby. Ha ha, I thought it was saying he wasn't a fan of any mods.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »
Thanks, guys! Glad you like the awards! A LOT of time and work went into them. The hardest part was thinking of a Mario-related sprite that fit each category. A cookie to anyone who can point out what game each one is from.

AAAAAAAAAAAGH Sapph lost the Deezer award!!
XD 
Sapph lost all the awards. :(

XD Deezer, Red, and EM.

Originally I put you as the giver of TEM's "Listen to this man," LD, but MB told me he was absolutely positive he gave it to you, so I changed it.

It's too bad the crying baby pic is gone, though. We need to find it again!

It would've been cool if Watoad and I had won second place for Dynamic Duo; he and I dominated the awards last year, while this year LD and TEM, the first place DD, dominated them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:01:38 AM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
Perhaps this can fill in for the time being:

Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2007, 06:54:15 PM »

I saved it :P

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
So what is the history behind "Listen to this man"?

A bunch of forum members were whining about various things and TEM came in and eloquently put them in their place.  I wanted to make sure those posts got the respect they deserved, so I gave him that CT.  It wasn't actually supposed to be funny.

« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:14 PM »
The hardest part was thinking of a Mario-related sprite that fit each category. A cookie to anyone who can point out what game each one is from.

Well, sadly, I can't name all of them, but I am proud that I know most of them. Here we go!..

Poster of the year: I recognize the Starman sprites, but cannot place where they are from. Everything else (the mushrooms, the pipe borders, the tissue paper..) seem to be edited sprites from Super Mario World (the tissue paper being from Yoshi's House, after you beat Bowser). Also, the little badges on each award are edited sprites from SMBDX's badges.

Best Moderator: the Fire Flower is from Paper Mario (I think).

Best Regular: the Mushrooms look like they are from Mario Kart 64 (and/or Super Circuit, since they seem to share various sprites).

Best Newbie: Yoshi eggs are from Super Mario World 2

Topic of the year: Whatever that sprite is is from Paper Mario

Post of the Year: Also from Paper Mario

Best Signature: Paper Mario (Bonus point: It's Luigi's autograph!)

Best Custom Title: Paper Mario (Nice use of the Gold and Silver cards)

Most Amiable: A happy gold coin that a bonus cloud dropped in Super Mario World

Most Average: Green Koopa Troopa from Super Mario World

Cleverest: Lighting from a Mario Kart game (since that is the only Mario game that I know of that has a lightning sprite)

Blast from the Past: Either the Spark partner's body from Paper Mario (without a face), those enemies that looked like Sparks in Yoshi's Island, the Angry Sun from SMB3, or an edited explosion.

Most Missed: an unsprouted flower from Yoshi's Island

Wisest/Most Mature: Frogfucious from Mario RPG

Social Butterfly: Flying Wiggler from Yoshi's Island

Most Improved: an edited MK64 mushroom (edited because there are no 1-Up Mushrooms in that game, or in MKSC)

Most Helpful: the orb that appears after you beat Boom-Boom in SMB3 (from Super Mario All*stars, no less!)

Funniest: Luigi in Peach's spare dress from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Dynamic Duo: Small Mario jumping/dieing, and small Luigi jumping/dieing from SMB3 in All*stars

WTD Award: Fawful from Superstar Saga

Deezer Award: There's that Starman sprite again.. I think it's from some form of Mario Kart, as I can't recall a Starman looking like that in any other Mario game.

Do I get a cookie? XD
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #141 on: February 12, 2007, 12:52:03 AM »
Hooray for bobman! \:D/

As for Toad...

Wrong
~the mushrooms, the pipe borders . . . seem to be edited sprites from Super Mario World
~Best Moderator: the Fire Flower is from Paper Mario (I think).
~Best Newbie: Yoshi eggs are from Super Mario World 2
~Blast from the Past: Either the Spark partner's body from Paper Mario (without a face), those enemies that looked like Sparks in Yoshi's Island, the Angry Sun from SMB3, or an edited explosion.
~Social Butterfly: Flying Wiggler from Yoshi's Island

Partial Credit (Note: MKSC and MK64 do not share sprites.)
~Best Regular: the Mushrooms look like they are from Mario Kart 64 (and/or Super Circuit, since they seem to share various sprites).
~Cleverest: Lighting from a Mario Kart game (since that is the only Mario game that I know of that has a lightning sprite)
~Most Improved: an edited MK64 mushroom (edited because there are no 1-Up Mushrooms in that game, or in MKSC)
~Deezer Award: There's that Starman sprite again.. I think it's from some form of Mario Kart, as I can't recall a Starman looking like that in any other Mario game.
~Topic of the year: Whatever that sprite is is from Paper Mario
~Post of the Year: Also from Paper Mario

Correct
~Super Mario World . . . (the tissue paper being from Yoshi's House, after you beat Bowser). <-- I wouldn't call  it tissue paper, but I know what you mean.
~Also, the little badges on each award are edited sprites from SMBDX's badges.
~Best Signature: Paper Mario (Bonus point: It's Luigi's autograph!)
~Best Custom Title: Paper Mario (Nice use of the Gold and Silver cards) <-- (Thanks!) Gold and Silver Credits, but close enough.
~Most Amiable: A happy gold coin that a bonus cloud dropped in Super Mario World
~Most Average: Green Koopa Troopa from Super Mario World
~Most Missed: an unsprouted flower from Yoshi's Island
~Wisest/Most Mature: Frogfucious from Mario RPG
~Most Helpful: the orb that appears after you beat Boom-Boom in SMB3 (from Super Mario All*stars, no less!)
~Funniest: Luigi in Peach's spare dress from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
~Dynamic Duo: Small Mario jumping/dieing, and small Luigi jumping/dieing from SMB3 in All*stars
~WTD Award: Fawful from Superstar Saga

Good job. Since you got majority of them right--both game AND what they are--and you gave a good attempt, and the ones you missed are more difficult, I'll give you a cookie. Another cookie for anyone who can figure out the ones he got incorrect and partial credit for. (Yes, I used a preposition at the end of a sentence. Deal with it.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:05:57 AM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #142 on: February 12, 2007, 01:42:08 AM »
The reason I'm confused is that I once had a PM conversation with TEM about giving him a (new or maybe it was his first) CT and I thought "Listen to this man" was the one from that conversation. Having read MB's E3 '05 blog, I do trust his memory and I don't really trust mine, so the CT I'm thinking of must have been a different one.

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
w00t! I gave a good attempt! *thanks Sapph for cookie, promptly eats it*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2007, 08:29:51 AM »
Wow, I actually got voted for.  Who cares about winning.  I think it's an honor just by it's self just to get voted for.  I honestly have never participated in this before, because I didn't know how.  But now I do and I will next year.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »
I care about winning. Winning is fun.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
I got six votes.  They were all in different categories. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
As for Sapphira...

Wrong
~Sapphira.  How could you miss her?

Partial Credit (Note: SapphiraSC and Sapphira64 do not share sprites.)
~Sapphira.  She certainly is practically the same as the real thing.

Correct
~Sapphira, of course.

Good job.  Since the majority of this post isn't funny, I'll give a cookie to someone when I have one and I don't want it and they want it and it will work out I hope.  What a weird parody of a post.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print