Print

Author Topic: You know what really sucks?  (Read 7601 times)

« on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
You people are always finding interesting things on the Internet, which is great. And you decide to share them with the rest of the forum, which is great. So you start a new topic about it, also great (beware the ANGST and HOPEFUL behemoths). But you know what really sucks?

I click on the new topic, and the entire contents of the OP consist of a single link and perhaps the word "Discuss".

I'm not sure why this gets to me so much, but it definitely does. Maybe it's because I'm lazy and don't want to click on another link to actually read what the topic's about, and then wait for the page to load. Maybe it's because, after having read the linked article, I have to switch back and forth between the article tab and the FF tab to make my post. Maybe it's because the article is written by some journalist or reporter, and I would prefer to read about the subject matter from the view of whoever posted the topic. Maybe it's because, without the summary or opinion of the OP, it's a lot more difficult to get a conversation started, so all subsequent posts consist of "Cool". Maybe it's a combination of all those things. Probably it's a combination of all those things.

From now on, I think it would be cool of you to include your opinion or a summary when you post a link to the Internet as a new topic. Perhaps describe what thoughts went through your mind upon finding the link, or for what reason you chose to share it with the rest of us. Otherwise I tend not to bother and never pay attention to the topic. Definitely still include the link, but elaborate. We want to know why you in particular found that link interesting, don't leave us guessing. Maybe I'm the only one with these sentiments, but I doubt it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »
I know whatcha mean
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »
You know, I agree, and I'm pretty guilty of this. From now on I'll do my best to post an accompanying summary/opinion.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:36:24 AM »
Cool.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:01 AM »
I agree.  Now I'm off to make a thread titled "You know what really really sucks?" with a single link to an article about black holes.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
I'd just like to point out that the last few times I posted threads that would have links of that sort, they had a chunk of text describing the game and containing the link, or had a summary of the thread in the title itself and then a link for the source of that news.

I'd also like to point out that the last several times I posted threads of that sort they got zero replies, or got one reply from Glorb being an *******. Including the thread about a free game. Whereas I can post a thread about how Pokémon sucks and get a hundred replies.

See also: Luigison giving away three copies of Terraria and only two people entering for them.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »
I do tend to feel guilty whenever I'm about to start a thread and don't really have much beyond a link and "So, uh... what do you guys think?" Then again, I don't start many threads, so it's not a big concern on my part.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
See also: Luigison giving away three copies of Terraria and only two people entering for them.
Seriously.

I've noticed this happen a lot in more places than just here. Whenever I post about something I always try and avoid being vague. It's actually why I don't post a lot of topics anywhere. I always feel the need to fill the original post with as much material of my own as possible, so it does seem a little odd that I'd read some of the OPs when they don't really open with discussion about the topic itself.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
Figures that like the first three threads that catch my eye on the recent unread today would be new threads just like this :U
It's YOUR problem!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
Discuss.

But for serious, I don't really mind this. You can get actual insight on (insert what OP is linking to) instead of having to listen to them describe in a nutshell what they read in the link.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:41:29 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
Discuss.

But for serious, I don't really mind this. You can get actual insight on (insert what OP is linking to) instead of having to listen to the describe in a nutshell what they read in the link.

True that, it works for some threads that really need no introduction (or whatever) but it shouldn't be used as a substitute for proper discussion.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
Bump 'cause it's still a thing and it still sucks
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:49:09 AM »

Discus.

No but really, I hate one-word sentences in general, because they just feel like shortcuts around thinking up a post. The "discuss" thing is one, another are the ever popular "win/fail/^this".

There's one place I go to where the things are "same" and "good". Something says something you agree with? "Same". Someone says something awesome or posts something awesome? "good". Or if it's something ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, you throw out the sarcastic "GOOD".

It just...is kinda sad to me. I see whole discussions that are someone saying something and then just a wall of "same" or "^this".
No! I don't want that!

Print