Print

Author Topic: Pokemon Topic  (Read 368935 times)

« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
I picked up HeartGold today. Haven't started it yet.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
I picked up SoulSilver yesterday. I've logged twelve and a half hours into it thus far.

As mentioned in the Hopeful Thread, the nostalgia is nice. However, the altogether experience is bogged down by its attempts at modernizing things: The PC system is now terribly inefficient, performing simple tasks like rearranging key items has been made needlessly tiresome, the Goldenrod Game Corner now forces you to play its [risk-free] game by no longer selling Game Coins, and most of the music has been over-arranged to the point of unrecognizability. It's still enjoyable as a whole, but not the back-to-basics adventure I was anticipating.

Also, is it just me, or are battles more frequent than in previous games? Particularly while surfing, where I can't go for five steps without encountering a [darn]ed Tentacool.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Jman

• Score
« Reply #257 on: March 17, 2010, 08:37:51 AM »
I would bet it'll be either MindCrystal or SpiritCrystal, since they both sound incredibly lame and therefore are prime picks by Nintendo's standards. The former sounds like some Final Fantasy key item, and the latter has little euphonic value. To quote a GameSpot thread regarding this very question, we'll get Pokemon Crystal Meth if we're lucky.

However, seeing as there was no Yellow remake following FR/LG, one could doubt that there'll ever be a Crystal remake.

SpiritCrystal sounds like something out of Sailor Moon.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #258 on: March 17, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
The final nail in a Crystal remake's coffin: Eusine, Buena's password game, the Olivine Battle Tower and just about every other Crystal-exclusive feature returns in HG/SS, rendering a remake pointless.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #259 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »
No hating on the Voltorb game.

That minesweeper/sudoku hybrid is the best Game Corner game in any Pokemon game ever. I've never spent more than 10 minutes (aside from buying coins) in a Game Corner before, but I've already clocked hours playing just the Voltorb game. And I don't even want any of the prizes.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2010, 09:06:07 AM »
Really?  It's that good?  Because Sinnoh had a really awful game corner.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #261 on: March 18, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
No hating on the Voltorb game.

I hate the Voltorb game with the fiery rage of 1000 hells. It's just too time-consuming to be a viable means of collecting Game Coins, and it reveals Game Freak's submissiveness to "concerned" parents who complained about the series promoting realistic gambling. Worse yet is the fact that I can't find that AR code for 99999 Coins.

It's funny how once-common commodities like Game Coins, berries and evolutionary stones have become so rare in HG/SS. Heck, after 37 hours, I still haven't found enough Oran berries to cure the MooMoo Farm's sick Miltank.

« Reply #262 on: March 18, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
The Voltrob game is extremely bad. I've figured out that when it says there are no Voltorbs on that row/column, then it's safe. Thing is, any other block that I try to uncover has a Voltorb on it. It is based purely on chance. Unless a board has several "safe" rows (more than one anyway) I just quit the game and try again, even if I only won one coin out of it.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #263 on: March 18, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
I picked up SoulSilver. I throughly enjoy it. Hell, I'd say it's better then Diamond. I've never played the original Silver and Gold, so this was a new experiance.

I love the Voltorb game. It's way better then those almost-unwinnable Slot Machines.

« Reply #264 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
I've never played the original Silver and Gold

That's probably for the better. The new content is welcome as always, but most of the changes from the originals were, at least in my opinion, unnecessary.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the Voltorb game if Game Coins were available for purchase. I'm almost surprised that I've made it this far without TM13/24/35.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
I picked up SoulSilver. I throughly enjoy it. Hell, I'd say it's better then Diamond. I've never played the original Silver and Gold, so this was a new experiance.

I love the Voltorb game. It's way better then those almost-unwinnable Slot Machines.

I bought SoulSilver for the exact same reason.  This is only the fourth Pokemon game I've ever played (following Blue, Leafgreen, and Platinum) thanks to my embarrassing "anti Pokemon" years, which I recently brought up in my newest thread. 
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #266 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
I hate the Voltorb game with the fiery rage of 1000 hells. It's just too time-consuming to be a viable means of collecting Game Coins, and it reveals Game Freak's submissiveness to "concerned" parents who complained about the series promoting realistic gambling. Worse yet is the fact that I can't find that AR code for 99999 Coins.

It's funny how once-common commodities like Game Coins, berries and evolutionary stones have become so rare in HG/SS. Heck, after 37 hours, I still haven't found enough Oran berries to cure the MooMoo Farm's sick Miltank.

At the later levels of the Voltorb game, you begin earning thousands of coins. I have enough coins to purchase any of the TM prizes many times over. It may be a little slow going, earning only 20 or 50 (if you pick your cards in a terrible order), but once you get going it's much faster than the "pure luck" slot machines of old.

Also, I think you're trying to hard to come up with reasons to hate these remakes. I, personally, do not look for deep hidden messages in meaningless actions. Particularly in Pokemon games.

The Voltrob game is extremely bad. I've figured out that when it says there are no Voltorbs on that row/column, then it's safe. Thing is, any other block that I try to uncover has a Voltorb on it. It is based purely on chance. Unless a board has several "safe" rows (more than one anyway) I just quit the game and try again, even if I only won one coin out of it.

There's a difference between not understanding the game and it being bad. You're supposed to reason out which cards are 2's and 3's based on the addition of numbers from the rows-- narrowing it down until you can eliminate choices.

I'm not championing this game as the best thing ever, but in my book it's multiple steps up from old Game Corners.

« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
It's a relief to know that the winnings increase over time. Interestingly enough, Pokemon Minesweeper Voltorb Flip isn't present in Japanese copies of the game, where the traditional Game Corner layout remains unchanged. The European Union's tightened gambling laws, which ruled Pokemon's slot machines as promoting gambling, are to blame (or thank) for ruining (or improving) the system in all English versions.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »
Fair enough then, I respectfully retract my statement concerning meaningless actions. Seems I was the uninformed one.

Everyone has their preferences, but nevertheless I find the Voltorb game to be an improvement, as it has gotten me to spend time in the Game Corner where as I never would have otherwise.

« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
There's a difference between not understanding the game and it being bad. You're supposed to reason out which cards are 2's and 3's based on the addition of numbers from the rows-- narrowing it down until you can eliminate choices.

I know how to play it, but it's really hard to get any coins when every sixth card I flip over is a Voltorb.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print