Print

Author Topic: Mario Karts Kompared  (Read 5835 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:56:27 PM »

Videogamer.com has setup two videos that compare Mario Kart Wii to its console predecessors, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash!! I watched the Mario Kart 64 one , and noticed two particular differences. Firstly, billboards and character art are updated to reflect something more in line with classic Mario. Secondly, everything is definitely bright and more inviting, particularly Bowser's Castle. If you can spot anything else interesting to note, leave some replies in the Fungi Forums!

videogamer.com
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:44:59 AM »
Ah, you saw this as well, I see... Good thing I didn't post it.

I didn't really watch the video when I came across it (buffering!), but I got the general idea. Although a lot of people have been criticizing this game for not having amped-up enough graphics... whatever, people. This isn't PGR, or anything--you're not going to have realistic rain hit your realistic windshield while you realistically veer into a guardrail and explode (realistically). For a game with cartoony people driving karts (which are resembling actual go-karts less and less with every installment) it looks great.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:53 AM »
Yeah, they updated the graphics, which is fine.
What was not cool is that they widened all of the old maps, which takes a fair part of the racing aspect away from the series.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:35 AM »
I think I also miss what little scariness Bowser's Castle had. Don't tell me they got rid of the booming laughter of the Thwomps!

EDIT: I watched it, and although I was still upset by the unnatural cheeriness, the Thwomps sounded better than ever.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:33:57 AM by Suffix »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:34:25 AM »
What was not cool is that they widened all of the old maps, which takes a fair part of the racing aspect away from the series.
How so? I mean, there's twelve people in every race, now, so they need some more room!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »
1. How often is everybody found racing side-by-side?
2. Look at a real race.  There can easily be more like 40 racers with a much narrower track.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
1. How often is everybody found racing side-by-side?
Well, with the Mario Kart series's AI...

Print