Print

Author Topic: "Super Mario Bros. was a ****in' nightmare" says the guy who played Mario  (Read 10540 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: August 04, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »
Bob Hoskins, who played Mario in the sometimes-infamous Super Mario Bros: The Movie, has spoken out about the project fourteen years later in an interview with The Guardian.  And he doesn't have anything positive to say.

"The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a ****in' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! ****in' nightmare. ****in' idiots."

Incidentally, the directors, Annabel Jankel and Rocky Morton, haven't directed a film since.  Though the film initially received a lukewarm reception by critics in part due to their lack of video game understanding, it has become a popular target of derision by gamers due to the liberties taken with the story.  Now we see what the starring actor really thought about the whole deal, and a good reason why there was never a sequel despite the cliffhanger ending.

Link: The Guardian (Warning: Hoskins has a potty-mouth)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:24:48 PM by Super-Jesse »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
It could have been SMB2J, Bob. Consider yourself lucky.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
The children here will get scared.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »
Yeah, I just caught wind of this... No surprise on all counts.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »
I don't think he's saying the actual movie was a nightmare, or the idea of it being about the Mario Bros was bad, rather the people in charge really made it an unfavorable job to do. The Mario movie is what it is though, and I just wish they'd make a new one, complete with 3D visuals and the voice actors from the game. Put Miyamoto in charge of that, and it'll work out just fine.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 07:44:46 PM »
I think I read on Wikipedia that Bob didn't even know that the movie was based on a video game until he told his son about it. Heh.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
I heard that too, but not on the Wiki.

The movie wasn't that bad.  Just don't look at it as a movie based off Mario, and you might find it to be...*long pause*...interesting.  *another long pause* then you'll think of it as 'Interesting, yet grossly inaccurate'
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
I guess that's what happens when the directors (Annabel Jankel and Rocky Morton) do a Mario movie where they have no knowledge about the history of the Super Mario Bros. game, like we do.

Like the goombas, for example, they've should've been like the little grumpy mushrooms that we know, not some overgrown 8-feet tall lizards. Plus, Bowser (or Koopa as he known in the movie), he's supposed to be the terrifying evil turtle-like reptile (or King of the Koops, if you will) with his famous spiked shell, not a human-like tyrannical politician or something.

Sorry if those sounded like spoilers, but that's basically some of the details that were considered wrong for this one, thus resulting in the flop that was made.

Overall, the details of the movie were way off. They could've made it like, i don't know... in marionation or something, kinda like Thunderbirds (for some of the familiar Mario enemies that we know).
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »
Actually, no.  I think the directors had a fine idea of the history of the series otherwise the movie wouldn't have been full of so many fun little cameos.  They simply did their own take on the story.  I also think that the movie was actually good, but misunderstood by both the critics and gamers as I mentioned in the original post.  As long as you aren't preoccupied with comparing the movie universe to the game universe, it's a quite original and humorous movie with great special effects for the time.  I think most of the cheesiness was simply due to its PG rating.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 04:26:20 AM »
You think Super Mario Bros. is an inaccurate videogame movie? How many have you watched? Because I think Mario Bros. is practically canon compared to stuff like Resident Evil and House of the Dead and BloodRayne. As a matter of fact, most game movies seems to share nothing but name and general theme with the game. SMB had all the character names and princess rescuing and everything.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 06:15:47 AM »
I haven't seen any other video game movie outside of SMB (because I've heard so much bad news about them).

I watched SMB when I was a kid, when I really couldn't understand bad news.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
The story was fine. The visuals were shockingly inaccurate, though. I'm all for a 3-D computer-generated Mario movie, even with the same plot as the existing Super Mario Bros. movie. I think a Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga movie would do better, though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 04:17:40 PM »
The plot was not at all suited for an animated movie.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
I'd prefer a cartoon, and it shall be animated by 4Kids! *gets gunned down*
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 11:44:02 PM »
I'd like to see a new anime movie, or see the GMTRPP be dubbed (as long as it's kept far away from 4Kids' clutches).
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
I think I read on Wikipedia that Bob didn't even know that the movie was based on a video game until he told his son about it. Heh.
Can you imagine how you'd react to that movie if there never HAD been any games?!?

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
I don't think he's saying the actual movie was a nightmare, or the idea of it being about the Mario Bros was bad, rather the people in charge really made it an unfavorable job to do. The Mario movie is what it is though, and I just wish they'd make a new one, complete with 3D visuals and the voice actors from the game. Put Miyamoto in charge of that, and it'll work out just fine.

I really don't think I can bear hearing Mario talk in full sentences. Or any of the characters, for that matter. If a movie by Miyamoto was made, it would probably be best to get new VAs altogether.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
I really don't think I can bear hearing Mario talk in full sentences.
This is really hilarious! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWfZjVbFFkc
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
Why does Super-Jesse think Miyamoto has any ability to direct a movie?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
^ Why not?

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
The way I see it, if they got Charles and such to do the voice-acting, use the animation style that was in that Japanese commercial for Superstar Saga and make sure 4Kids doesn't get their filthy paws on it, it could be good.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Print