Poll

Which Mario RPG do you you think is the best?

Super Mario RPG
8 (30.8%)
Paper Mario
2 (7.7%)
Paper Mario: TTYD
10 (38.5%)
Mario & Luigi: SS
4 (15.4%)
Mario & Luigi: PIT
2 (7.7%)
Super Paper Mario
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: Best Mario RPG  (Read 18639 times)

« on: September 13, 2008, 11:02:42 PM »
Which one do you you think is the best?

I voted for Paper Mario: TTYD, cause out of all the RPGS, this one had the best story, characters, locations, fighting, and side quests.
I did not include Super Paper Mario, because it's hardly an RPG.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:19:14 PM »
TTYD story is practically identical to Sonic Adventure.

A creature aeons ago created seven jewels, sunk a civilization and was sealed away. A power-hungry maniac finds out about this, and sets out to find said jewels to control said creature. A pure-of-heart adventurer sets off to collect the MacGuffins to stop the mastermind, ultimately fails as the ancient evil is resurrected anyways, uses the creature's thingies against itself and wins. The end.

Kind of cheapens it, doesn't it?

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
Those both were cool storylines, though. And I've never made the connection until now.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »
I voted for SMRPG and pushed it forward to a huge lead of 66.7%.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:27:58 AM »
Best console RPG:   Paper Mario: TTYD
  The Thousand-Year Door is a near epic adventure with lots of cool locations, references, and jokes.  Mario's paper abilities are well used.

Best portable RPG:   Mario & Luigi: SS
  Superstar Saga is the funniest RPG I've ever played.  The single button Bros. Attacks are cool and the games has well paced classic design with more than its share of laughs. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:35 AM »
You excluded Super Paper Mario as a choice. Although it's a little strange, it's still considered an RPG.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
I did not include Super Paper Mario, because it's hardly an RPG.

Actually, the only thing about it that isn't an RPG is the gameplay, and that even has some RPG elements in it. Excluding the platforming gameplay, there are many things generally found in any RPG, such as shops, items, side-quests, experience points, new party members, leveling up, storyline, etc. Like all the other Mario RPGs, it has puzzles in it as well. If you really think about it, it is actually hardly a platformer. The genre for the game is RPG.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:19:59 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »
Hmm... I honestly want to say Mario and Luigi. SMRPG was definitely good, but it was more a SquareSoft RPG with Mario characters than a Nintendo RPG with Mario characters (also, weird graphics). Paper Mario... well, that's a great game too. TTYD was also fun, but a little too derivative and linear in some places. PiT was incredibly linear, predictable, and short, but I guess that's a DS for you. Plain and simple, Mario and Luigi just has a really innovative tag-team system, in and out of battle, a great sense of humor and art style, and all sorts of creative little touches here and there.

TTYD story is practically identical to Sonic Adventure.
One of those games had cheap deaths and bad voice acting, one didn't. Yeah, it doesn't have the most original plot in the world, but the only thing cheapening TTYD is you comparing Sonic Adventure to it, period.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Super Mario RPG rules but it lacks the fun element of collecting badges that Paper Mario and Paper Mario 2 has. But it's still my favorite.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »
Is Zelda II an RPG? It's got hit points and battles you can get into, but it's pretty platformy.
Are all the Symphony of the Night-style Castlevanias RPGs? They contain all the elements Kimimaru said Super Paper Mario contains, but all those elements take a back seat to the platforming, much like in SPM.

Actually, I would just go with "Platformer/RPG" for most of the games with this style. But just yelling that SPM is an RPG makes very little sense.
That was a joke.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
One of those games had cheap deaths and bad voice acting, one didn't. Yeah, it doesn't have the most original plot in the world, but the only thing cheapening TTYD is you comparing Sonic Adventure to it, period.

Am I supposed to take offense to this?

I also left out the part where the monster turns on the mastermind.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
I think that Paper Mario: TTYD is the best Mario RPG.  It had a great storyline, characters, and battle system.  Mario and Luigi: SS comes second, because I really liked the battle system and it was a really fun game.
Victory... is my destiny!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »
Oh man this is really hard I like all of them almost all the same! I think the best one so far is Super Paper Mario.  But since thats not an option I'm gonna put Paper Mario.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
I'm split. SMRPG was always my favorite, but PM improved on it it just about every way -- and yet SMRPG is still the only one I can never get tired of. SS is close, but the story drags it down (the least cohesive out of the six; it often feels like they were just making it up as they went along). For the first playthrough, SPM was the best, but that's not on the list anyway (It should be, though. Debates about the nature of RPGs in general aside, it is a Mario RPG, being a natural evolution of the Paper Mario series. Whether or not you call it an RPG, it's the only classification it fits in the Mario series.).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »
Why doesn't "Platforming RPG" fit?
That was a joke.

Print