Print

Author Topic: What are the Koopas/the Koopa called in Japan?  (Read 21234 times)

« on: September 02, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »
In America, "Bowser" is the King of a group of intelligent turtles called "the Koopas" or "the Koopa". However, I know that in Japan, "Koopa" is the name of the character called "Bowser" in America. What are "the Koopas/Koopa" called in Japan?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:31:51 PM by Ganon Vader »

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
ノコノコ

Noko Noko

"noh-koh-noh-koh"

It means unconcernedly or nonchalantly.

There's a few instances where you can see this Japanese name slipping through the localization cracks. Super Mario RPG has the NokNok Shell weapon. The strangely unlocalized enemy names of Super Mario Land include Nokobon (as in bomb-Koopa) and then Super Mario Land 2 got the Noko Bombette, which even throws in the Japanese name for Buzzy Beetle, Metto (from helmet, "herumetto")!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:18:06 PM »
ノコノコ

Noko Noko

"noh-koh-noh-koh"

It means unconcernedly or nonchalantly.

There's a few instances where you can see this Japanese name slipping through the localization cracks. Super Mario RPG has the NokNok Shell weapon. The strangely unlocalized enemy names of Super Mario Land include Nokobon (as in bomb-Koopa) and then Super Mario Land 2 got the Noko Bombette, which even throws in the Japanese name for Buzzy Beetle, Metto (from helmet, "herumetto")!
I know that Koopa Troopas are called Noko Nokos, but is Bowser called "King of the Noko Nokos"?

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
No, that part of the manual calls him 大魔王クッパ Great Demon King Koopa

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »
No, that part of the manual calls him 大魔王クッパ Great Demon King Koopa

That's interesting. I wonder if the same is true in subsequent games. You might also find it interesting that "Great Demon King" is also Ganon(dorf)'s title in the Japanese version of the Zelda games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 07:47:53 AM »
It's also King Piccolo's title in Dragon Ball.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:19 PM »

The running Moai heads in Super Mario Land are called Tokotoko, which is an onomatopoeia for feet hitting the ground and probably also a pun on Nokonoko.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:29:26 AM »

The running Moai heads in Super Mario Land are called Tokotoko, which is an onomatopoeia for feet hitting the ground and probably also a pun on Nokonoko.

They don'y have feet though...

Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »
They could have phantom limbs.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
"Tatanga... I'm already a demon."
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
They could have phantom limbs.

You can see the bottom touching the ground with the shadow. Sorry to be technical...
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

Print