Print

Author Topic: Petition for Video Game Stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame  (Read 3929 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: March 04, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

There's an online petition for putting video game stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Now you're probably thinking, "Oh great, another stupid online petition." The difference this time is that Nintendo is actually promoting it with a press release! It also shows that Nintendo is actually aware of gamer demographics.

The Petition

Interactive entertainment is an important part of the entertainment industry. Each year, video games usually make as much money – or even more – than the movie box offices! Let’s get a category created on the world-famous Hollywood Walk of Fame to recognize the video game stars who have become part of our daily lives!

Video games have been popular for decades, and visitors to Hollywood would like to see their favorite interactive stars honored too!

We, the undersigned, ask the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to add a new “Interactive” category to the Hollywood Walk of Fame to honor stars like Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda and numerous others who have reached true celebrity status.

NOA Press Release

DID YOU KNOW? PETITION SEEKS SUPPORT FOR NEW VIDEO GAME CATEGORY ON HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME

March 3, 2005

An online petition calls for a new Interactive Entertainment category to be added to the world-famous Hollywood Walk of Fame to honor video game heroes. The category would supplement the current Walk of Fame categories for Film, Television, Recording, Stage and Radio.

Fans can join the cause at www.petitionspot.com/petitions/walkoffame, which asks the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to recognize that interactive entertainment has become as much a part of the landscape as films and television. For more than 25 years, video games have entertained millions of people around the world, and a new category could honor legendary characters like Marioâ„¢, Donkey Kong® and Zeldaâ„¢.

Video games are the entertainment medium of the 21st century. According to the Entertainment Software Association, half of all Americans 6 and older play video games, and the average game player is 29 years old. Additionally, 39 percent of players are women. Unlike other diversions, interactive video games draw players in and make them a part of the experience by letting them control the action. Players can spend dozens of hours conquering and replaying their favorite games as they form emotional attachments to their characters. No other entertainment medium forms such a close connection with its audience.

The petition will remain online through March, after which it will be delivered to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for consideration.

Edited by - MEGAߥTE on 3/4/2005 7:54:31 AM

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 10:58:19 AM »
That's awesome! It would be so cool if they could actually make that happen!

If a tree falls in the woods, do all the others laugh at it?
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 12:11:37 PM »
This is sweet!! I signed the petition (#742) just three spots after Tommy Tallarico! That's an amazing coincidence. I'm stunned or something.

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »
I'd rather have the people that make games on there.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 11:35:57 PM »
Then you think like Tommy and half like me.

"He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep for the sake of what he can never lose."

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 11:40:20 AM »
1195.  I saw Lugison's name when I first signed it but didn't get the confimation email for awhile so now I'm next to no one I know.  Phooey.

Just curious, how long is the walk of fame anyway?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.  But I think we can all agree that Mario rules and that''s a fact!

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 3/5/2005 12:36:46 PM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 01:18:36 AM »

Print